lightest 130-140 coil fork?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2016

lightest 130-140 coil fork?

I'm thinking about a new fork for my trail bike, i've got a coil rear, ribbon sl front, and after riding a couple friends coil forks I'm starting to consider one for mine. I always find myself worried about the front end when it gets chunky, while the rear stays fine and composed.

I think the mid stroke support of a coil could be really nice, and obviously the small bump traction, they also just seem to make so much more efficient use of available travel where an air fork seems to go through it much easier.

I'm trying to keep the bike light and good for climbing, so really trying to avoid getting carried with weight which is super easy for me to do.

so anyway, what are some good coil fork options in the 130 or 140 range? I'd like to keep it at 130, but not sure if there's really any options for that short of travel. maybe a push'd pike?

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I think a Ribbon Coil is the lightest option I've found followed by a Pike with an ACS3 or Smashpot conversion. The lightest option may also depend a little bit on the spring rate you need.

Keep on Rockin...
    275 or 29?

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Miker J View Post
    275 or 29?

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    I went from a F36 performance to MRP ribbon coil to Manitou Mattoc Pro. F36 was harsh, it would leave my hands so sore after 2 runs I couldn't hold onto the bike. Ribbon Coil was a significant improvement in how it tracked the ground and feedback into my hands but once the honeymoon period was over I felt there was a bit of harshness still. I'm now onto the Mattoc, it is awesome and tracks the ground so well without feeling too soft. It's very adjustable too if that's you're thing. All forks are used at 170mm and in a bike park regularly.

I'm not trying to turn you off the coil fork but I'm just trying to say that there's more to how a fork performs than just if it's air or coil sprung.

Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
    Quote Originally Posted by dlxah View Post
    I think a Ribbon Coil is the lightest option I've found followed by a Pike with an ACS3 or Smashpot conversion. The lightest option may also depend a little bit on the spring rate you need.
    That's interesting.

Is that to say that Ribbon coil in a higher spring rate might weight more than a Pike ACS3 or Smashpot conversion with a similar weight spring, even if the Ribbon Coil is lighter with a lighter spring rate?
    Work - Utility GIS Analyst
    Party - 2019 Guerrilla Gravity Revved Trail Pistol Sz 3

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by PHeller View Post
    That's interesting.

Is that to say that Ribbon coil in a higher spring rate might weight more than a Pike ACS3 or Smashpot conversion with a similar weight spring, even if the Ribbon Coil is lighter with a lighter spring rate?
    Yes. The weight of a coil doesn't necessarily vary linearly with spring rate. I suspect any one of these options may be particularly heavy or light relative to the others for a given spring rate. These forks all seem to be pretty close in weight, so I wouldn't be surprised if that's the determining factor in which is the lightest option. I personally wouldn't choose between them based the weight but rather other factors such as price, features/performance, or preferred manufacturer.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    yeah seems like a ribbon might be the best option. just wish it came in a 130. or just find a really damn good air fork, but I've never ridden one that can touch a coil. The helm comes in a 130, but reviews seem just ok.

I havent really looked into the lesser known companies like formula or manitou.

I could also try and rebuild mine with maybe lower weight oil, better seals, if anyone makes any, or see if any suspension tuners do custom work on MRP forks..

Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
    Mantiou's IRT system certainly is pretty close to coil as far as an all-air system goes.

Any of the companies with a tunable negative coil spring do pretty well too, most notable of which is DVO.

I just think Fox and Rockshox aren't ideal for riders outside of their intended weight range, not enough negative volume in the air springs, hence why the Luftkappes are so popular.
    Work - Utility GIS Analyst
    Party - 2019 Guerrilla Gravity Revved Trail Pistol Sz 3