Leverage Ratio and Spring Rate- Mtbr.com
    Engineer The Future Now!

Leverage Ratio and Spring Rate

I'm curious if different rear shock leverage ratios require different spring rates. Example: if going from a 2:1 to 3:1 ratio would the spring rate have to be higher for the 3:1 to get the same performance as the 2:1?
    holy...

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ver-T
    I'm curious if different rear shock leverage ratios require different spring rates. Example: if going from a 2:1 to 3:1 ratio would the spring rate have to be higher for the 3:1 to get the same performance as the 2:1?
    Simple answer YES.But you should provide more info.
    Last edited by DHRracer; 06-19-2009 at 07:08 PM.

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004
    yes...sort of. You'll never get the same performance from a 3:1 as you would from a 2:1.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    For the same amount of travel?

Engineer The Future Now!
    Quote Originally Posted by RED5
    yes...sort of. You'll never get the same performance from a 3:1 as you would from a 2:1.
    Why not? Is a lower leverage ratio universally better? If so, why don't all bike makers design their suspension around it? Is there any advantage to a higher ratio?

Quote Originally Posted by kapusta
    For the same amount of travel?
    I take it you ask because your answer depends on that variable, so assume they are the same, then assume they are not. Also, can you give me an example of 2 bikes with the same travel where one is 2:1 and the other is 3:1?
    holy...

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Also, can you give me an example of 2 bikes with the same travel where one is 2:1 and the other is 3:1?
    None that I can think of. 2:1 is pretty low, and I would guess you would be more likely to find that on a very short travel bike, whereas I can't think I any bikes with less than about 5.5" travel that have 3:1.

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004
    Why not? Is a lower leverage ratio universally better? If so, why don't all bike makers design their suspension around it? Is there any advantage to a higher ratio?
    Lower leverage ratios are easier on shocks, thus making it easier for the shock to do its job & easier for the shock to be setup for different riders. Whereas the higher leverage ratio tends to blow through travel easier, making it harder on the shock and harder to setup for some riders (ie:aggressive & heavier riders).

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta
    None that I can think of. 2:1 is pretty low, and I would guess you would be more likely to find that on a very short travel bike, whereas I can't think I any bikes with less than about 5.5" travel that have 3:1.
    Foes uses 2:1 on a lot of its bikes, including there 10" DH Mono.

Oct 2007
    lighter riders will benefit from higher ratio bikes, and vise verse.

i think its better to run a shock in the middle of its range versus maxing it out or running it at the bare minimum to function properly.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by tomsmoto
    lighter riders will benefit from higher ratio bikes, and vise verse.

i think its better to run a shock in the middle of its range versus maxing it out or running it at the bare minimum to function properly.
    Hmm... Is 3:1 considered to be a high ratio? I'd say i'm pretty light, about 120lb. How would a 3:1 leverage ratio be for me in this regard?

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004
    read this Why 2:1

Members who have read this thread: 0