Knobs fell off on AM1!- Mtbr.com
    banned

Upset Knobs fell off on AM1!

Ok --my third ride on the AM1. I reach for the golden adjustment knob I knew was there in the beginning of the ride, and, it's gone!! Not only one, but both.

So, how did these fix themselves to my fork? And, how could these both have fallen off? Seems a lil' peculiar to me that both knobs came off during the same ride; now, I *was* experiencing some knocking from the fork during rebound on the last ride, and with the fork set closer to 150mm. Today's ride started (and ended, by default) at 130mm.

I'm not ranting on Marz, but I'm just trying to make sense of what happened. I'll probably give Marzocchi USA a call on Monday and explain what happened. Oh --Any short-term solution so that I can use my TAS? Thanks in advance
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by awai04; 11-12-2005 at 06:29 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I lost one also on the TST side. I thought it was my fault because I lost it after changing the oil. Looks like it might be a bad design. If you get one for free let me know how, I would be interested!

banned
    Unfortunately, my fork practically is new, and I expect new stuff to last, well, long into the season if at least through three rides. Is the knob held on by an acorn bolt or something? I never noticed earlier.

Dirt Diva Little h

AM1 knobs

Quote Originally Posted by awai04
    Unfortunately, my fork practically is new, and I expect new stuff to last, well, long into the season if at least through three rides. Is the knob held on by an acorn bolt or something? I never noticed earlier.
    They are held on by a small machine threaded bolt. I actually lost one when the fork was shipped to me so I used a Motherboard screw form a computer and shaved in down with a file to fit inside the knob and locktited both before my first ride. I only knew about the problem because of this site. Good luck, maybe you will find them on your next ride!

banned
    ...Oh, so apparently I'm not the only one dropping my knobs? Are there more AM1 owners with lost TAS/rebound adjust knobs??

I feel better now, but at the same time, I think the problem is something Marzocchi should address if we have a trend here.

Freshly Fujified

Check the forum

...Oh, so apparently I'm not the only one dropping my knobs? Are there more AM1 owners with lost TAS/rebound adjust knobs??

I feel better now, but at the same time, I think the problem is something Marzocchi should address if we have a trend here.
    I think you'll find that there are several people who have had this happen. Apparently, the knobs may not have been correctly tightened before shipment. (My opinion based on the posts I've read, don't read this as gospel) So far, I don't believe I've seen that Marzocchi has owned up to the mistake, and people are having to pay for replacement knobs.

Bob

Here's an example:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=142974
    Last edited by Call_me_Clyde; 11-13-2005 at 07:06 AM. Reason: Added link
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

Elitest thrill junkie
    If you haven't yet, take the little screws out and use blue-loctite on em.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

banned
    ...I don't have the little screws. In fact, I don't have the knobs either. They're all sitting somewhere in the dirt.

To be fair to everyone, I will post what Marzocchi says when I call them.
    Last edited by awai04; 11-13-2005 at 05:07 PM.

banned
    Ok --called up Marzocchi yesterday and got a favorable response. I'm sending my fork to them to fix the chatter/klunking, and will get my knobs replaced at the same time.

Freshly Fujified

Excellent

Ok --called up Marzocchi yesterday and got a favorable response. I'm sending my fork to them to fix the chatter/klunking, and will get my knobs replaced at the same time.
    Glad to hear they're taking care of you.
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

a dad
    Jan 2004
    can you get me that marzocchi number, i would like to call them too about my am1...i love it but the clanking needs to be addressed on mine...thanks
    BBZ

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Same thing happened on my Marz MX Pro w/ETA. Actually my knob fell off sometime from installation to the first mile i took around my block on it. Let me know how Marz handles this cause i will be calling them also. Who needs rebound adjustment anyway?

err, 27.5+
    Oh --Any short-term solution so that I can use my TAS?
    Find a 4mm socket wrench in 1/4" drive, then use a socket driver to do the adjusting. I do this with my Z1 with AM internals. No problems after about 4 months. I found the socket at my local auto parts store.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I knew about this problem from reading the AM1 reviews in the product review section. When I got the fork I checked the little bolt on each knob...sure enough, the bolts were loose. Took an allen wrench and tighten all the bolts on all 4 knobs while holding the knob so it doesn't turn with the bolt.

I'll be interested to know if Marzocchi will replace these for free since one of the reviewer said Marz wouldn't give him free replacement and the only way to get one is to buy the whole damn cartridge unit. Sounds crazy to me, I hope it's not true.

Shut up and RIDE!
    Quote Originally Posted by billybobzia
    can you get me that marzocchi number, i would like to call them too about my am1...i love it but the clanking needs to be addressed on mine...thanks
    Did marzocchi fix the clanking problem on your am1? my am1 also has that problem, its really annoying. i'm considering replacing it with the fox36 bec. of the clanking problem.

a dad
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by doc-ock
    Did marzocchi fix the clanking problem on your am1? my am1 also has that problem, its really annoying. i'm considering replacing it with the fox36 bec. of the clanking problem.
    mine has been doing that all season, but i learned to ignore it...i call marz last week and they told me to send it in and they will fix it, so after thanksgiving i intend to ship it off...they say about 3 weeks, which is perfect cause i will be in hawaii for 3 weeks...give them a call, they were super easy to work with from my experience.
    BBZ

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin

Jul 2005
    mine fell off on my first ride. Luckily my friend was riding behind me and found it. I put it back on and tightened it real good and has never fallen off since.

Feb 2004
    my fork has the chaders to, and the nobs have fallen off and I myself have fallen off the Marz. bandwagon. pike in two weeks

Giant Robot

Clanking Be Gone

Quote Originally Posted by doc-ock
    I had the same issue (along with losing the rebound knob). Sent the fork back to Marzocchi, they apparently bled some air out of the TST cartridge, and sent it back to me. Voila, no more clanking (or at least a lot, lot less)

banned
    ...Got my AM1 back tonight! Haven't gotten a chance to field-test it yet, but the knobs are back on my fork. Also, turnaround time from door-to-door was two weeks to the day!

The CS number is on the Marz website; google-search "Marzocchi USA" and you'll get there.

mtbr member

still clanking

I got my AM1 back from Marzocchi about a month ago and it still clanks. Still the best riding fork I have owned.

When I ordered my AM1 a friend told me about the loose bolt problem so I replaced the bolts with longer ones. They are the same as the ones used on USE Alien seatposts but the Alien bolts are longer.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

No good

The rebound knob on my MX Pro ETA fell off on my first ride.

I just registered on Marzocchi USA site and sent them a message asking if I can a replacement. I'll keep y'all posted on the outcome.

I can't believe the problem is so rampant.

Members who have read this thread: 0