K2 Razorback Noleen Mega Air rear- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

New question here. K2 Razorback Noleen Mega Air rear

Just got K2 Razorback 2001 frame at E-Bay. Waiting for it to arrive any day.

What about Noleed Mega Air rear shock issue? I did some reading up and it seems like this shock has three main work modes:
    1. Doesn't work from new (valve, seals).
    2. Stops working a year later (valve, seals).
    3. Works flawlessly, and a year after you sell the frame to a friend after 3 years of use it still works flawlessly. It's very light and it's user serviceable provided you get hold of parts.

I couldn't find out if there is a better pull shock to replace it, just vague mentions of a Turner frame using a supposedly better Fox pull shock.

Here's a question to Those Who Remember:
    Does anyone still remember what it was, or where to look for more info?

TIA/

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Do you know anyone who did it?

Quote Originally Posted by steve3
    I'm pretty sure the k2 fox can be used directly because I've seen people put them on the older razorbacks.
    Have fun, that's an awesome bike.
    Just got an answer from Fox. Hope it won't be impolite to quote an abstract here:

"We do make a Float RL to fit the K2 Razorback for model year 2003-04 only. The shock will not fit older year bikes."

I haven't asked K2 about it yet.

Steve3, if you know anyone who got a different shock mounted on Razorback 2001 frame please let me know.
    Last edited by MegaVolt; 02-10-2004 at 10:34 AM.

Jan 2004

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Thanks everyone!

Just wanted to thank everyone and share the info I got now.
    This covers typical maintanance and spare parts availability issues.

REAR SHOCK: Noleen Mega Air shock with remote lockout.
    Many people reported this shock to leak air and oil from new. Typically, the culprit is either the Shaeder valve or O-rings in the air or oil chambers. Mike at K2 tech support says, if the frame has been sitting some warehouse for a year of more, the shock rubber O-seals could ędry upĽ and get faulty. Get them replaced and the shock will work like new. A troubleshooting guide for this shock can be found at K2 site: aps_troubleshoot.pdf. A complete tune-up, service and maintanance guide for the shock is named 2000MegaAirShockManual.pdf. Right, the file name starts with ę2000Ľ, but itís good for Noleen shock found in K2 Razorback 2001 frame.

The shock contains no factory-charged nitrogen chamber or other fancy stuff and is relatively easy to service.

Hereís an abstract of one of the reviews of that shock at MTBR:

Well, I took the shock apart, totally apart, and had a bit of a time getting it back together. I did get it to work properly, but with CODA 10wt anti-foaming shock oil (works great). If you rebuild this shock, do not try to use a fork oil less than 7wt. Cavitation is the reason, it will be real squeaky, even with ALL of the air out. Get the Noleen 808 oil if you can, you should probably send the shock in for work, or contact me for instructions. It isn't that bad, and the great customer service from K2 is a big plus (they sent me a complete rebuild kit, minus the shock oil, for free).

With the 10wt. oil, the damping is much more noticeable, but still completely gone when you dial it away.

I was impressed with the internal attention to detail and the ease of service (when I figured it out). Great machining and anodizing in all the right places. Noleen has taken the MacStrut niche and it should keep it. Kudos.

I am still giving the shock 5's, it is getting better and I cannot ask for anything more from my rear suspension. Lockout works great too...

K2 tech support recommends using oil weight 9.

Shock overhaul kits are readily available both at K2Bikes.com and NoleenShockService.com. K2ís kit costs $11.99 and contains O-rings for the air chamber. Noleen kit costs $17.95 and contains O-rings for the air chamber, oil chamber, shaft bushings and probably oil itself (donít remember now).

Shock upgrade options: not many. The frame uses a unique pull shock. It seems like Razorback carried a Noleen Mega Air rear shock with remote lockout in 2001 and 2002 and Fox Vanilla pull shock in 2003. Razorback 2004 comes with a Fox Float rear pull shock: air spring and oil damping. I couldnít find any info on this shock. Fox tech support said, download our Fox Float manual and youíll find there the specs and everything. I downloaded the manual (11 megs) but found no mention of a pull shock. All I know is that the Fox Float pull shock does not have ProPedal feature.

For a Razorback 2001 frame one needs to use a different seatstay to make use of the new shock. The seatstay is $85 and I hear itís carbon. The Fox Float pull shock is $349. Both items are available from K2. Phattire.com, too, told me they can get these at the same price, too. By the way, Phattire email response time is amazing. Angelo Smyrnios replied 3 minutes after I sent them an email.

K2 Razorback 2001 FRAME:
    Frame primary pivots are sealed bearings and they are reported to last for many years of cross-country use. Just remember itís a 3 inch rear travel XC frame and donít abuse it with big air and downhill. Bushings are only used for mounting Noleen shock to the frame. When I asked for some spare, Mike at K2 shrugged his shoulders and said why, nobody ever asked for them, they really are not a fast wear item. I told him that Iím taking the frame to Russia and there will be no way for me to get these later, and he promised to thorow them in for free together with an axle to pusing the old bushings out if I really think I may need them.

The bushings are also available from Noleen at $4.95.

- Overhaul kits:
    Frame overhaul kit: K2 item K025705151. $39.
    Use 02razorback2.pdf for instructions.
    I also found this: 01razorbackframeassembly.pdf. The name of the file is self-explaining.

- Toolkit for Noleen shock servicing (basically aluminum blocks useful for keeping the shock parts in place). $30. Only available from K2. NoleenShockService.com people didnít hear of it.
    - Derailleur hanger: K2 item # RK011. $11.99

If you want to know more it's best to go directly to http://idriders.com/cgi-bin/YaBB_K2/YaBB.pl?: lots of people there ride or used to ride this K2 bike and they loved it. When I wanted to know the length of a hydro line for the rear brake on K2 Razorback 2001 size M I just asked there and got an answer.

2All: if something in this post is not right (parts numbers, grammar, history facts, etc.) just let me know.

Keywords: K2 Razorback rear shock, Turner Stinger, Vanilla pull shock, Fox Float pull shock, Razorback carbon strut, Razorback carbon seatstay.

mtbr member

K2 Razorbacks

I had a 2001 Team frame with the Noleen shock and had zero problems with it. However, I have heard that you can buy a new Fox shock and strut (seat stay) for your 2001 for around $300. I now have a 2003 razorback team frame and can say the new Fox shox on them are much plusher.

Mar 2004

I'm looking for a Noleen Pull shock (and strut)

Does anyone have or know of a Noleen pull shock and strut for sale? Even if the shock is blown. I do have the New Fox Float RL and strut for sale $250 - free shipping. Any info would be great!

ballbuster

I got one

And yes, there is no aftermarket replacement for the Noleen. As close as you can get is the retrofit kit to put the Fox Vanilla on there. You order this though K2 for $285. Those I have heard from say that the Fox shock really makes this bike happening. The kit replaces the seat stays, shock and hardware.

I have an '02 Razorback SL with the Noleen shock, and so far (knock on wood) it has been fine, no issues. It is not a terribly great shock from a performance standpoint, although it is super light. I was thinking I was going to try removing the valve core and changing the oil, slap some RedRum in there.

So far, the only issue with the frame has been that the lower pivot is beginning to fail, and creak a bit. No slop yet, just the annoying creak that gets quieter for a month if I remove the seals and slap in a ton of Phil Wood grease. I have a feeling that my used frame was a little more used than the seller let on (or knew himself). K2 sells the pivot rebuild kit for like $45.

The only other Issue I had with the frame is that the rear triangle flexes a bit side to side. When it does, the rear disc brake rubs, usually when I'm hammering out of the saddle.

Overall, I really dig this frame.

Mar 2004

slow air leak

I just bought a 2001 Razorback Team and when i received it new in box the shocks were aired up, I had to lower it for my weight to get proper sag and after riding it yesterday the pull shock looses 50% air after about 6hrs, is there any break in or are the o-rings dried out? loved the bike and hope to give it many more miles

Mar 2004

New question here. I have the Fox Upgrade - Wanna Trade?

Quote Originally Posted by MegaVolt
    Just got K2 Razorback 2001 frame at E-Bay. Waiting for it to arrive any day.

What about Noleed Mega Air rear shock issue? I did some reading up and it seems like this shock has three main work modes:
    1. Doesn't work from new (valve, seals).
    2. Stops working a year later (valve, seals).
    3. Works flawlessly, and a year after you sell the frame to a friend after 3 years of use it still works flawlessly. It's very light and it's user serviceable provided you get hold of parts.

I couldn't find out if there is a better pull shock to replace it, just vague mentions of a Turner frame using a supposedly better Fox pull shock.

Here's a question to Those Who Remember:
    Does anyone still remember what it was, or where to look for more info?

TIA/
    I have the Fox Float RL upgrade w/ strut. Trade ya for the Noleen/Strut (for medium frame) and $125 Let me know