Just bought 2003 Talas, need set-up info/advice- Mtbr.com

Jul 2006

Just bought 2003 Talas, need set-up info/advice

I just bought a used 2003 Talas RLC on eBay for about $300.00

Does the price seem about right? It seems to be lightly ridden and nearly mint.

Also, what is a good starting air pressure for a 200lb, mostly xc rider?

Any other info. or advice that you'd like to share about your Talas would be really appreciated!

Bunny Hugger

Good job! Good Deal Overall

I bought an 03 TALAS RLC from my friend for $300 too. A new TALAS RLC costs almost $700, so you did fine to get a mint fork.

The Fox 2003 manual states that for a 185-200 lbs rider, your air pressure should be 90 psi. Try that and drop or add in 5 lb increments. I prefer to ride with 5 lb less than the Fox recommendation.

Here is the link to the Fox online manual menu:

http://www.foxracingshox.com/fox_tech_center/index.htm

Good luck.
    Hug the Bunny

Jul 2006

Thanks for the info. and the link

Thanks Jerry!

Best regards from a soon to be Talas rider,
    Scott

Harky
    Jan 2006
    The TALAS has a reputation for leaking seals. If you follow the manual, you can make your seals last...Keep em clean and lubed. The fork has a foam ring just under the seal on both legs. Add some shock oil whenever the foam rings look dry...maybe once a week.
    You'll love it.

Why so uptite?
    Dec 2005
    send it off to Push Ind and get it valved for your weight, riding style, bike it is mounted on and they will replace the seals and make sure it is perfect.

Good deal by the way. Even after having it Push'd it will still be cheaper and better than a new fork.
    Collection of fun carbon & titanium bikes

@tgi_cycling

Bunny Hugger

Smile Triflow and Stanchion Lube

are great products to lubricate your stanchions and seals, Scott. I use Triflow ($3-$8) for my fork stanchions; it's inexpensive and it works.

Before or after my rides, I wipe the stanchion tubes and top of the seals with a damp towel to clean off the excess dirt. I then apply a few drops of Triflow on the stanchions and let the lube run down and rest on the seals. I then cycle the fork a few times to work the lube into the seals and wipers. You will see the dirt that comes out of the fork. Wipe off the dirty lube and that's that.

I have not used Stanchion Lube ($8.50 + $5 s/h) from www.enduroforkseals.com yet; but if they sell it, it's probably good stuff. Here are a couple of links that may help out:

http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id79.html
    http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id24.html

Whichever you decide to use, use only 1. Using different lubes will diminish the effectiveness of each lube. But these are inexpensive means to keep your fork working smoothly.

As far as sending your fork for aftermarket service, know that the shop EBG recommended will cost you at least $160 for the standard service and up to $255 for upgraded tuning. If your fork needs servicing, then have a qualified shop service it unless you can do it yourself.

When my TALAS needs servicing, I will purchase the enduro fork seals and have GarageWorks (www.garageworkssuspension.com) or my friend (head mechanic and service manager for Surf City Cyclery) service it. There are many quality options out there.
    Hug the Bunny

Members who have read this thread: 0