Installing Spring on Vanilla 130- Mtbr.com

Sep 2004

Installing Spring on Vanilla 130

Hello everyone I recently change to a stiffer spring in my 06 vanilla 130 and noticed a couple of things.

1.) Fox's manual states that there should be two black spring spacers and I had only one on top but am still getting the full 130 mm of travel. Whats the deal here.

2.) Should I grease/oil the spring prior to installing the spring?

3.) The spring came with a plastic wrap around the middle of it, should I leave this on or does it really matter?

Thanks in advance

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SCNEWBIE
    Hello everyone I recently change to a stiffer spring in my 06 vanilla 130 and noticed a couple of things.

1.) Fox's manual states that there should be two black spring spacers and I had only one on top but am still getting the full 130 mm of travel. Whats the deal here.

2.) Should I grease/oil the spring prior to installing the spring?

3.) The spring came with a plastic wrap around the middle of it, should I leave this on or does it really matter?

Thanks in advance
    I just did this to an 06 Fox Van RLC 130, so here ya go...

1) there are two spacers. one in each leg. When changing the spring you only need be worried about the location of the spring side spacer. If it's on top then your good, this is the 130 travel setting.

2) No you do not need to grease the spring. There is oil in the leg that will lubricate the spring.

3) Leave the spring isolator sleeve (plastic wrap) on the spring. It help eliminate the spring rub on the inside of the stanchion, plus keeps down the noise of the spring moving.

Enjoy.

Jan 2004
    hey i think i can answer some of your questions, the plastic sleeve stays on its keeps it from rattling i think, Mine also only had 1 spacer also i think it will have 2 spacers if its set to 100mm travel. And for lubrication on the spring it should be fine if you leave it alone.
    hope this helps-
    sam

Sep 2004
    Much thanks to you guys

83 feet less per minute
    Jun 2004
    At least in the '05 model, the spacer on top of the non-drive side of fork leg is removed and the drive side spacer is moved from the top to the bottom of spring. Page 13 of '05 fork manual.
    Want to ride in this life and the next? Ask me how.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by paddlefoot64
    At least in the '05 model, the spacer on top of the non-drive side of fork leg is removed and the drive side spacer is moved from the top to the bottom of spring. Page 13 of '05 fork manual.
    Only perform those steps if you are putting a orange or red upgrade spring in. If you are putting a green spring in, then follow the steps Red5 just said above

Members who have read this thread: 0