Installing a rear shock that's a size too small? Bad?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Installing a rear shock that's a size too small? Bad?

I have a home-made FS bike built by a friend. It currently has a Fox DHX air 3.0 that's approx 215mm E2E. But after installed the E2E length shrinks down to about 205mm.

I would like to get the Marz Roco Air LO 200mm E2E. With my current DHX the rear triangle rests on the seat tube. So when the shock fully extends, the frame prevents it from "maxing out". I think if I install a smaller shock, it won't do this and the tension will rest with the shock - pulling it to its 100% max length. Know what I mean?

Will this damage the shock after repeated use?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    your friend would have designed the frame around a specific size shock, if he knew what he was doing. Can you ask him? Sounds like the 215 mm eye to eye is too long for that frame if it makes the swingarm hit the seattube. The next size down is 200 mm, so he possibly? designed it for that. But too small of a shock, or too long of a stroke (200 mm shocks come in either 2" or 2.25" stroke) can cause the tire to hit the seat tube at full compression. No offense, but this whole thing sounds like a recipe for disaster. Post up pics of the homemade bike with the current shock installed.
    Last edited by dwyooaj; 05-03-2012 at 12:23 PM.
    '18 banshee rune

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I would ask him but I've lost contact with him... he made the bike about 4 or 5 years ago. It's made out of steel so I'm not at all concerned about it making contact with the seat tube.

Photo Album - Imgur

I'll post some better close-up pics if that'll help later on tonight.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    [QUOTE=z1freeride;9274546. It's made out of steel so I'm not at all concerned about it making contact with the seat tube. .[/QUOTE]

OMG, well you still should be concerned, steel or not.. Im not touching this anymore... Good luck.
    Last edited by dwyooaj; 05-03-2012 at 12:22 PM.
    '18 banshee rune

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by dwyooaj View Post
    Good luck.
    Wow, thanks!

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by z1freeride View Post
    Wow, thanks!
    He is concerned about you safety. The pivot placement suggests your friend had no idea what he was doing. By placing it there with no gusseting, you run a significant chance of the downtube breaking. Also the pivot is placed wrong for any type of decent suspension performance. If it were me, I would take the components and find a new or used frame to use them with. A Santa Cruz heckler or butcher spring to mind.
    Riding slowly since 1977.

Life Is Short
    ^^^^^^^I have to agree, take the components off and put it on a legit f/s frame. By that photo
    I can already see the bottom bracket height is way too high as well. 100% of frames made
    are stress tested on a computer, custom builds not so.

Members who have read this thread: 0