increasing rear travel = steeper head angle- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

increasing rear travel = steeper head angle

ok, hang with me here. I have a '98 Rocky Mountain Element. It has 3.5" of rear wheel travel, and I have a '00 X-Fly 4" travel fork. I talked to Rob at Rocky Mountain yesterday and he is sending me the linkage from an '02 Slayer ($50), which will increase my travel on my element to 4.5"+. So, in order to keep my head angle as steep as it is now, I need to increasse the travel up front to counter the increase in the rear. I don't really care for the performance of the '00 X-Fly, but I also don't want to dump a bunch of money into this bike, just get a bit more travel. What 4.5"+ fork would be a good one to put on this older bike and gain performance? I'm assuming the 130mm long travel kit won't work in my X-Fly? I also need v-brake bosses for the fork, so alot of the newer long travel forks won't work. I'm looking for something used most likely.....what about an older Z.1 Marzocchi fork?

MK_
    carpe mañana
    Quote Originally Posted by Pothole
    ok, hang with me here. I have a '98 Rocky Mountain Element. It has 3.5" of rear wheel travel, and I have a '00 X-Fly 4" travel fork. I talked to Rob at Rocky Mountain yesterday and he is sending me the linkage from an '02 Slayer ($50), which will increase my travel on my element to 4.5"+. So, in order to keep my head angle as steep as it is now, I need to increasse the travel up front to counter the increase in the rear. I don't really care for the performance of the '00 X-Fly, but I also don't want to dump a bunch of money into this bike, just get a bit more travel. What 4.5"+ fork would be a good one to put on this older bike and gain performance? I'm assuming the 130mm long travel kit won't work in my X-Fly? I also need v-brake bosses for the fork, so alot of the newer long travel forks won't work. I'm looking for something used most likely.....what about an older Z.1 Marzocchi fork?
    I think that a 120mm MX or Marathon would be your best bet. Used Marathon or new or used MX.

_MK

"The things you get fired for when you’re young are the same things you get Lifetime Achievements for when you’re old."

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Or Psylo SL/Race, some have brake posts, and U-turn is handy for adjusting geo. I raised the rear of my bike too, and use my U-turn all the time. For quick singletrack, ~100mm keeps it agile, for down, 125mm, steep uphills, 85mm. Love it.

Members who have read this thread: 0