IGUS Bushings? Anyone using them?- Mtbr.com
    What? There's more?

IGUS Bushings? Anyone using them?

Stumbled on a thread discussing bushings and Dougal mentioned he was using IGUS bushings in place of DU bushings in his shocks. That was a bit off the OP's topic, and it was quite old, so thought I better start a new one.
    Never heard of IGUS, so looked it up and wondering which particular material folks are using. L280 perhaps? How does it feel? Service life?

mtbr member
    May 2006

What? There's more?
    The pin in my CCDB is aluminum. Needle bearings run on steel. Suppose I could find a new pin, but that's not really what I'm after.
    Last edited by tyrebyter; 09-14-2017 at 11:35 AM. Reason: duh

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I just installed a new CCDB IL on a freinds bike that had IGUS bushing. I can only say they are quite user friendly. Seems like DU bushing wear too fast w/ any rotation.

What? There's more?
    It came with those bushings, or from elsewhere?

What? There's more?
    I should have kept googling. They are available directly from IGUS. Looks like the G300 is the particular material blend. 11/32" sound like the right OD?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tyrebyter View Post
    I should have kept googling. They are available directly from IGUS. Looks like the G300 is the particular material blend. 11/32" sound like the right OD?
    11/32" is very small. Shock eyelets are like 15mm mounting hardware is 1/2" / 12.7mm.

What? There's more?
    Yup. That was a brain fart. I meant 19/32". The eyes of my CCDBAirIL measure .592" without bushings and the pin is dead on half inch. 19/32 is the closest standard OD I see: (59375).

mtbr member
    It came with those bushings, or from elsewhere?
    My Inline coil came with the IGUS bushings pre installed.
    I don't crash, I just have slightly uncontrolled dismounts!

mtbr member
    The Fox 5 piece polymer bushing set (specced with most Fox shocks for the last few years) looks very much like Igus material. It's great, my preferred choice of shock pivot.
    Last edited by Tim-ti; 09-14-2017 at 11:56 PM. Reason: Typo repair
    "...DirtBaggies may also be the best baggy mountain bike shorts on the market." Velonews - Click to check out other reviews.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim-ti View Post
    The Fox 5 piece polymer bushing set (speccef with most Fox shocks for the last few years) looks very much like Igus material. It's great, my preferred choice.
    Yes, pretty much all Fox stuff over the last few years is IGUS, like my old Turner frames.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    The hardest riders on the worst bikes get about 2 years from an IGUS bushing. But they require excellent tolerances to do that.

Fitted up something like 800 sets with a 12 month warranty. Never been called on it.
    Owner of www.shockcraft.co.nz, Mech Engineer, Tuner, Manitou, Motorex, Vorsprung EPTC, SKF, Enduro
    www.dougal.co.nz

What? There's more?
    How do you get the tolerance you need; press into the eye, then ream for the pin?

mtbr member
    How do you get the tolerance you need; press into the eye, then ream for the pin?
    Tolerance the pins. Most eyelets are oversize so reaming won't help.
    Owner of www.shockcraft.co.nz, Mech Engineer, Tuner, Manitou, Motorex, Vorsprung EPTC, SKF, Enduro
    www.dougal.co.nz

What? There's more?
    Doh! The eyes are 15mm. I was looking for some Imperial fraction. Confounded bike industry mixing standards confused me...again. Well, NZ is a long way to take my shock, not that I wouldn't like to. Guess I'm going to have to sort this one out on my own. Thanks.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Dougal View Post
    The hardest riders on the worst bikes get about 2 years from an IGUS bushing. But they require excellent tolerances to do that.

Fitted up something like 800 sets with a 12 month warranty. Never been called on it.
    Not in my experience, less than a season on highly loaded Pivot pivots, at $3 a pop, not a bad deal by any means, but they won't last 2 seasons in all situations, not even close.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Not in my experience, less than a season on highly loaded Pivot pivots, at $3 a pop, not a bad deal by any means, but they won't last 2 seasons in all situations, not even close.

You missed the bit about excellent tolerances.
    www.dougal.co.nz

Elitest thrill junkie
    You missed the bit about excellent tolerances.
    Many bikes use highly loaded pivots, much more so than a few years back, with the advent of so many "mini-link" bikes. There can be significant differences loading and rotation during travel for these bushings, so there's more than just the tolerances.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Many bikes use highly loaded pivots, much more so than a few years back, with the advent of so many "mini-link" bikes. There can be significant differences loading and rotation during travel for these bushings, so there's more than just the tolerances.
    I particularly love it when Jm tells me the things I've been doing for years don't work.
    www.dougal.co.nz

What? There's more?
    So IGUS doesn't show the bastard size 15mm x half-inch on their website, but I can get the Fox IGUS bushings for $1.99US/ea. My new Manitou Metel showed up yesterday. Must be old stock, because it has 13.9mm eyes and 12mm bushings. Nothing is easy, is it? Waiting for a 15mm hand reamer from our good friends in China to sort out the eyes. Schraeder valve for the IFP? Same thread as Fox-Ford-fuel-rail maybe?

mtbr member
    So IGUS doesn't show the bastard size 15mm x half-inch on their website, but I can get the Fox IGUS bushings for $1.99US/ea. My new Manitou Metel showed up yesterday. Must be old stock, because it has 13.9mm eyes and 12mm bushings. Nothing is easy, is it? Waiting for a 15mm hand reamer from our good friends in China to sort out the eyes. Schraeder valve for the IFP? Same thread as Fox-Ford-fuel-rail maybe?
    Eyelets aren't 15mm. They're imperial.

The Manitou Metel was indeed 14x12x12.5w. The Metel IFP takes a schrader adapter which is nothing like the Fox. This manitou tool has the 5 pointed IFP cap tool, valve tool and pump adapter in one: https://www.shockcraft.co.nz/ifp-val...n-manitou.html
    www.dougal.co.nz

What? There's more?
    OK, I believe you, but what's the dimension? My dial bore gauge won't measure that small, but my caliper tells me the eyes of my CCDB are .591". That's a lot like 15mm, but I don't trust a dial caliper that much. Can't measure my RP23 because the grandson is riding it. Haven't punched out the bushings in my Marzocchi 53 yet.
    I saw the recessed pentagon cap on the Metel IFP (how annoying)? So there's a Schrader under that? Not the same as the old Marzocchi adapter? Room to tap for a more conventional valve?

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    If the Fox bushings are too tight you can easily make them fit: http://forums.mtbr.com/shocks-suspen...er-974832.html

mtbr member
    OK, I believe you, but what's the dimension? My dial bore gauge won't measure that small, but my caliper tells me the eyes of my CCDB are .591". That's a lot like 15mm, but I don't trust a dial caliper that much. Can't measure my RP23 because the grandson is riding it. Haven't punched out the bushings in my Marzocchi 53 yet.
    I saw the recessed pentagon cap on the Metel IFP (how annoying)? So there's a Schrader under that? Not the same as the old Marzocchi adapter? Room to tap for a more conventional valve?
    19/32".

If there was room in a shock eyelet for a conventional valve then Manitou would fit one. There's barely enough room for a schrader core and adapter.
    www.dougal.co.nz

What? There's more?
    Well, if it's 19/32", I'll just get a hand ream that size and be done with it. So, Dougal, you're very generous with your time and expertise. Why is there no logo swag on your website, e.g. decals, top caps, t-shirts emblazened with "Shockcraft" . I'd order something and so would others.

mtbr member
    Well, if it's 19/32", I'll just get a hand ream that size and be done with it. So, Dougal, you're very generous with your time and expertise. Why is there no logo swag on your website, e.g. decals, top caps, t-shirts emblazened with "Shockcraft" . I'd order something and so would others.
    Keep in mind that while the "nominal" size is 19/32" there are very few shocks that measure that. Most shock companies can't drill two holes the same size. We usually fit different toleranced pins to each end of the same shock for exactly that reason!

Shockcraft swag? Great idea and it's in the queue but we've got too many projects and not enough time. Interviewing more staff this week to help with that.

We did get stickers printed last month. I think it was last month. It's all a blur!
    www.dougal.co.nz

What? There's more?
    All right then, sell me a sticker. I admire guys who don't know everything in a given field, but are working on it. You know: nerds.
    Last edited by tyrebyter; 09-20-2017 at 08:19 PM. Reason: ...

What? There's more?
    Fox/IGUS bushings arrived, punched out the DUs in the Marzocchi and measured .592ish. Pushed in the new bushings and the pins were tight... in a good way. Stacked up the spacers to tension the o-rings. Oh baby. Can't wait for the sun to come up. It's going to hurt so good.

mtbr member
    Keep in mind that while the "nominal" size is 19/32" there are very few shocks that measure that. Most shock companies can't drill two holes the same size. We usually fit different toleranced pins to each end of the same shock for exactly that reason!

Shockcraft swag? Great idea and it's in the queue but we've got too many projects and not enough time. Interviewing more staff this week to help with that.

We did get stickers printed last month. I think it was last month. It's all a blur!
    Ya, you have stickers. My oils and seals came with a few - one on my beer fridge, one on the back window of my truck, and one on my downtube.