Ibis Ripley V3/V2 suspension settings?- Mtbr.com
    viva la v-brakes!

Ibis Ripley V3/V2 suspension settings?

On my 2017 Ripley V3, when I set my rear suspension up according to the sag guidelines in the manual (11mm for 'firm', 13mm for 'plush'), I get no where near full travel out of the shock.

For example, today I set the shock up with 15mm of sag, which should have been very plush, but I only got 32mm of travel on the shock, that is 95mm of wheel travel.

As for the trail conditions, most of the rough parts (big chunky rocks and exposed roots) were slow, and most of the fast parts were pretty smooth. I wouldn't expect to bottom out my shock in these conditions, but I would expect to get more than 73% of the travel out of it.

Has anyone else had similar experiences? If so, how do you adjust your suspension to get everything out of it?

Cross posted to the Ibis forum.
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    I have a car. I made a choice. I ride my bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    How old is the shock? And how does it FEEL to you?

First thing - don't worry too much about travel used as it doesn't automatically translate to better working suspension and can be very misleading

A soft spring set up creates very fast damper speeds which generates more damping force, so this is possibly what stops you using more travel.

I would try more air pressure if I was going to change anything, and ignore sag from now on. It's just a starting point so just go by feel after that initial setup
    www.thesuspensionlab.nz
    Servicing in Rotorua, NZ/Vorsprung Elite Tuning Centre/DVO service centre/Insta @thesuspensionlab

viva la v-brakes!
    Feel is subjective, so I intentionally left that out. I was wondering if others had similar trouble with set-up.

But to answer your question, it felt a bit on the firm side. Controlled... I guess it felt like it could have been doing more for me on the downhills, but too soft, in Open mode anyway, on the climbs. That has always been my crux.

mtbr member
    I actually find the opposite. The Fox unit with the flat curve of the Ripley lets the shock use too much travel too often.

The first thing I would check is if the shock will get full travel. Drop the pressure to zero and see if it gets the full 45 mm.

Also, if you have he DPS EVOL shock, did you make sure the shock was pressurized correctly - compressing the shock every 50 PSI added? I used 50 psi over my body weight (250 psi for my 200lbs).

The other thing is that if your rebound is set too fast, I find that gives a harsher ride and limits travel a bit.

Lastly, are you ridding hard enough and hitting stuff where you would expect full travel?
    It is the Right of the People to Alter or to Abolish It.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by FishMan473 View Post
    Feel is subjective, so I intentionally left that out
    Thats why I asked, because at the end of the day all that matters is how you feel on the bike, not whether you hit certain "targets"

DW bikes are often not the most "plush" feelilng bikes, but I forgot to ask what model shock is it?
    www.thesuspensionlab.nz
    Servicing in Rotorua, NZ/Vorsprung Elite Tuning Centre/DVO service centre/Insta @thesuspensionlab

viva la v-brakes!
    In regards to the shock, I should have mentioned earlier, it is a DPS EVOL, and actually I just had it serviced & tuned by Fluid Focus to stiffen up the "firm" compression setting (it was really annoying having pedal bob on a paved climb).

So the shock is in good condition, the tuning changed some things, and I have decided to start from scratch re-tuning the suspension.

That said, these are the same issues I have had before previously with the suspension on this bike. I had the pressure at 200psi when I wanted it plush and 210psi when I wanted it to pedal a little better. This time around, I got it all the way up to 230psi with the 15mm sag and what felt like a firm, but pretty responsive ride feel (at least while 'ripping it up' in the local schoolyard). On the trail, like I said in my past post, it bobs too much on the climbs, and I know the bike can give more when hitting rough stuff at speed.

I think I will try running it at 220 and/or 225 with the Open Mode Adjust set in the 2 and/or 3 position and see how that goes. I will also try playing with the rebound, I have it set pretty slow (10-clicks clockwise from full open) as I am not a fan of the pogo-stick feel.

mtbr member
    In regards to the shock, I should have mentioned earlier, it is a DPS EVOL, and actually I just had it serviced & tuned by Fluid Focus to stiffen up the "firm" compression setting (it was really annoying having pedal bob on a paved climb).

So the shock is in good condition, the tuning changed some things, and I have decided to start from scratch re-tuning the suspension.

That said, these are the same issues I have had before previously with the suspension on this bike. I had the pressure at 200psi when I wanted it plush and 210psi when I wanted it to pedal a little better. This time around, I got it all the way up to 230psi with the 15mm sag and what felt like a firm, but pretty responsive ride feel (at least while 'ripping it up' in the local schoolyard). On the trail, like I said in my past post, it bobs too much on the climbs, and I know the bike can give more when hitting rough stuff at speed.

I think I will try running it at 220 and/or 225 with the Open Mode Adjust set in the 2 and/or 3 position and see how that goes. I will also try playing with the rebound, I have it set pretty slow (10-clicks clockwise from full open) as I am not a fan of the pogo-stick feel.
    Honestly, with a dw linked bike, you should be riding the shock "open" almost all the time. The PP lever should have no real impact on the firmness of the shock - if it does - I would argue that it has too stiff of a compression tune.

viva la v-brakes!
    By "PP lever" you mean the Compression adjustment?

I have heard others (including the folks at Ibis) say that same thing about being in Open mode all the time.

Personally, I feel like it bobs a lot. I would not do a long smooth climb in Open. I switch it to Firm for any climbs longer than a minute or so, even if there are some small rocks and roots. Forget about standing and pedaling in Open or Medium.

Honestly, even on the gnarly rock garden and big rooty climbs I did yesterday it felt better in the Medium mode, it was just easier to put the power down and punch over the obstacles without suspension bobing and wollowing that occurred in Open. That said, either is better than my old 26" hardtail which I can't get through those sections at all anymore.

Open is great on flat to downhill rough terrain as well as flow trails.

mtbr member
    My experience with shocks on first the V1 and now the V2 Ripley.
    Fox CTD...bad
    CC Inline...poor but not bad
    Avalanche modded CTD...better
    Fox DPS Evol....good but not much better
    CC Inline IL....best

The IL is by far the best of the shocks I've tried on the Ripley. I run it mostly wide open with little compression damping. The climbing mode actually works and does improve pedaling efficiency on a bike that already climbs like a goat. I'm convinced the Ripley, however, will never feel plush on a downhill. It's partly the leverage curve of the DW-link and simply limitations in the design. It rides firm like a race car. I find that I run out of travel on most trails in my neck of the woods which is one reason why I have moved on to a medium travel 29r (140mm rear) and am relegating the Ripley to long backcountry rides in the high country where I don't care so much about downhill performance. Just my 2 cents but I'd like to swing a leg over the V4 Ripley.

viva la v-brakes!
    Funny you should say that Rockman, when I had damaged my Float DPS shock so that it was leaking, I thought that maybe it could be time to 'upgrade' rather than repair. I looked at CC shocks, however, it really wasn't clear to me that any other shock would be significantly better. I did like the greater ability to fine-tune, slow vs high speed damping for example, with the CC shocks.

What in particular do you like the... I assume you're talking about The DBair IL?

viva la v-brakes!
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    I'm convinced the Ripley, however, will never feel plush on a downhill. It's partly the leverage curve of the DW-link and simply limitations in the design.
    I'm curious what yo mean about the Ripley never feeling plush. Take enough air out of any shock and it will feel flush. I agree that it is hard to make use of the last couple mm of travel without airing it down so much as to be nice to pedal.

mtbr member
    Funny you should say that Rockman, when I had damaged my Float DPS shock so that it was leaking, I thought that maybe it could be time to 'upgrade' rather than repair. I looked at CC shocks, however, it really wasn't clear to me that any other shock would be significantly better. I did like the greater ability to fine-tune, slow vs high speed damping for example, with the CC shocks.

What in particular do you like the... I assume you're talking about The DBair IL?
    Yes, the new air can on the IL has a larger negative chamber with a more progressive air spring. Resists bottom out while still getting full travel and support in the mid-stroke. Lots of folks hate on the CC for the original INline durability woes but at least from my experience that has been ironed out. It's both plush and controlled without blowing through the travel. My main complaint about the original Inline on my V1 Ripley OG was mid-speed harshness. For an example, a controlled descent through a rock garden.

"Plush" means different things to different people. For me the INline is plush at the top stroke with proper air pressure while still resistant to bottoming. If you let all the air out like you suggest to maximize plushness your performance goes out the window. I mainly run it wide open but will add in a few clicks of LSC to firm up the rear end if I'm mainly on smooth and faster trails. The adjustability is nice if you that's your jam. For a set it and forget it type the adjustability will probably be annoying with too much guess work. Good luck!

viva la v-brakes!
    For me, the goal would be suspension that doesn't respond to pedal input... let the tires absorb the little < 1" trail chatter. But I'd like the suspension to be active with larger trail obstacles to keep the momentum going maintain control, and squat into corners and while pumping backsides. Isn't that what we're all looking for in life?

mtbr member
    By "PP lever" you mean the Compression adjustment?

I have heard others (including the folks at Ibis) say that same thing about being in Open mode all the time.

Personally, I feel like it bobs a lot. I would not do a long smooth climb in Open. I switch it to Firm for any climbs longer than a minute or so, even if there are some small rocks and roots. Forget about standing and pedaling in Open or Medium.

Honestly, even on the gnarly rock garden and big rooty climbs I did yesterday it felt better in the Medium mode, it was just easier to put the power down and punch over the obstacles without suspension bobing and wollowing that occurred in Open. That said, either is better than my old 26" hardtail which I can't get through those sections at all anymore.

Open is great on flat to downhill rough terrain as well as flow trails.
    Yes, the "compression" changes. Honestly, something does not sound right with that shock. The Ripley is over 100% anti-squat in every gear (with a 32 front ring) and that goes even higher as you reduce the front ring size (28 or 30). I also have a V3 and get little or no bob in or out of the saddle. That was true of the DPS and also of the Mcleod I have on it know.

I think what rockman is trying to say is that the Ripley is a XC bike that lets you know when you are at it's limit. The small stuff should feel smooth and nice however.

viva la v-brakes!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespasianus View Post
    Yes, the "compression" changes. Honestly, something does not sound right with that shock. The Ripley is over 100% anti-squat in every gear (with a 32 front ring) and that goes even higher as you reduce the front ring size (28 or 30). I also have a V3 and get little or no bob in or out of the saddle.
    I was about to say that I am perhaps overly sensitive to rear suspension bob due to my half a lifetime on a hard tail, but you don't get any bob out of the saddle? My bike is like a pogo stick if I climb/sprint out of the saddle on it.... or maybe I'm just too sensitive to it, or to the loss of energy compared to a hardtail that just shoots forward when you're out of the saddle.

mtbr member
    I was about to say that I am perhaps overly sensitive to rear suspension bob due to my half a lifetime on a hard tail, but you don't get any bob out of the saddle? My bike is like a pogo stick if I climb/sprint out of the saddle on it.... or maybe I'm just too sensitive to it, or to the loss of energy compared to a hardtail that just shoots forward when you're out of the saddle.
    Well, you might be more sensitive to it coming from a hard tail. That makes sense to me. My other bike is a dw linked 5-spot which is much plusher than the Ripley so that may cloud my judgment. But in no way is it a pogo stick. What front ring are you using?

viva la v-brakes!
    28t... I wonder if a oval ring would make it better or worse?

viva la v-brakes!

Ibis Ripley V3/V2 suspension settings?

Last night I did the 'curb drop test' again. It appears my rebound dampening may have been way off. I had it set to 10 clicks out from fully closed. During the test 5 clicks seemed to do the trick, and that is close to what Fox recommends.

I had been increasing the clicks from full closed as I added more air pressure, because, all this double-negative (triple-negative?) thinking around increasing the amount your shock reduces the rebound is confusing.

I'll give it a try the next time the trails dry up around here, and see how it goes.
    Last edited by FishMan473; 09-10-2019 at 05:04 PM.

mtbr member
    Last night I did the 'curb drop test' again. It appears my rebound dampening may have been way off. I had it set to 10 clicks out from fully closed. During the test 5 clicks seemed to do the trick, and that is close to what Fox recommends.

I had been increasing the clicks from full closed as I added more air pressure, because, all this double-negative (triple-negative) thinking around increasing the amount your shock reduces the rebound is confusing.

I'll give it a try the next time the trails dry up around here, and see how it goes.
    That might be it. Keep us updated.