I need help with fork/hub end cap issue- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2010

I need help with fork/hub end cap issue

I'm having serious issues with switching out my bike's fork. More specifically, I'm having trouble with my hub end caps. I'm hoping someone on here may have come across this problem and found a solution.

I have a 2018 Kona Process 153 Al 29er. It came with a Yari Solo Air. I decided I wanted to try a different fork and got a Suntour Durolux. When I put the Suntour on the Kona and tried to put the wheel on, I was stunned it didnt fit. Both the wheel and fork are Boost, so I assumed it would slide right in. But the hub and caps that fit into the Yari are much bigger than the Durolux takes.

I called Suntour and sent them pics. They said the end caps my hub have are bigger torque caps. The torque caps pop right off, so I need to find what end caps I need. Suntour said I should contact the manufacturer of the hubs. The hubs I have are cheap Formula hubs, so I dropped them an email. No reply. And they are in Taiwan so I can't call them.

I took the wheel and fork to the local bike shop. They were a little surprised by this and said they haven't run into this problem yet. But we found bikes in their shop that have the larger torque caps and the regular smaller size. They also sent an email to Formula. It's been a week and no reply.

I went to a second bike shop. They also haven't run into this. They have both types in their shop too. The guy helping me said it looks like the small hub end caps on their Giant brand hubs might be the right size, but he wouldn't pop them off a brand new bike to check.

I checked my other bike. It's a lowest level Stumpjumper with a Recon. Sure enough it has the larger torque caps too. But they were smart enough that when you pop them off the smaller end cap is right there underneath. Very handy.

So basically my problem is that I need to find an end cap of the smaller size that will work with my Formula hubs to fit in the Suntour fork with the more standard fitting.

Has anyone run into this? Anyone know where to get the right end caps? Will another manufacturer's end caps fit and work for me? Man I hope someone has a fix for this. I'd rather not buy a new front wheel

Thank you for any replies and suggestions.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I'd try the Stumpjumper wheel on your new fork. More info.
    Next I'd ask Kona if they ship any bikes with the smaller end caps and if any of those use Formula hubs.

If they do I'd ask about endcaps for that hub. If they don't have them request them from Formula.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    The Stumpjumper wheel will go in the new fork just fine when you pop off the larger endcaps. They really thought ahead on that one.

Contacting Kona is a pretty good idea.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    First, get a new shop. They should know about this and try more than just point out the problem.
    Second, maybe you need to find the formula hub model, and just buy a normal version from aloe express or something and switch caps.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by dompedro3 View Post
    and just buy a normal version from aloe express or something and switch caps.
    That will be ultra-soothing.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    That will be ultra-soothing.
    Lol. Good catch.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by richulr View Post
    ....I took the wheel and fork to the local bike shop. They were a little surprised by this and said they haven't run into this problem yet...I went to a second bike shop. They also haven't run into this. ....
    I am truly stunned. This is a common well known situation and any halfway decent LBS dealing mtbs would not be surprised in the least. Find a decent LBS. They will know BTI is the US Formula distributor and should be able to get you the caps you need.
    What, me worry?

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    BTI? I'll have to look into that too. Thank you.

Jiv
    mtbr member
    May 2019
    I had the same problem with my 2019. What you need is these end caps:

https://www.worldwidecyclery.com/pro...conversion-hub

If the link fails, it's Salsa 142mm end caps, part no HU8880. Google it and you'll find plenty of online shops where it's available.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Holy crap. I'm looking into that right now. I hope those are it. If so. You are the man!

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Just bought them. Hope they work! Thank you.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by richulr View Post
    Just bought them. Hope they work! Thank you.

I am in the same situation. Did these caps work for you?

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    You better believe they did! It was awesome. Such a relief to solve this annoying problem. Thank you Jiv for the great recommendation.