I assume this noise my DPX2 makes is not normal?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

I assume this noise my DPX2 makes is not normal?

Candidate for a bleed?

mtbr member
    Needs a service for sure.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tbmaddux View Post
    Needs a service for sure.
    Figured, thanks. Any idea what it actually may be?

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I'm not sure that's a maintenance issue. It sounds a lot like a problem I had with my Monarch Plus shock a few years ago. According to Darren from Push, the sound those shocks made was from "the damping piston glide ring running on the inside of the body of the shock. It's making the sound due to a surface finish problem." If I remember correctly, the surface finish is designed to retain more oil, but it can sometimes make that noise as a side effect. I sent that shock in for warranty replacement twice, but the replacements both made the same noise. Ended up selling it and have avoided RockShox shocks ever since.

https://forums.mtbr.com/shocks-suspe...se-965616.html

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dlxah View Post
    I'm not sure that's a maintenance issue. It sounds a lot like a problem I had with my Monarch Plus shock a few years ago. According to Darren from Push, the sound those shocks made was from "the damping piston glide ring running on the inside of the body of the shock. It's making the sound due to a surface finish problem." If I remember correctly, the surface finish is designed to retain more oil, but it can sometimes make that noise as a side effect. I sent that shock in for warranty replacement twice, but the replacements both made the same noise. Ended up selling it and have avoided Rock Shox shocks ever since.

https://forums.mtbr.com/shocks-suspe...se-965616.html
    hmm interesting ill look into this. either way ive already opened a warranty claim w/ YT since my bikes 4months old.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    My DPX2 sounds nothing like that, it is completely silent except the whisper of transfer of air between positive and negative at a certain point in the travel. Since dlxah mentioned glide rings, I actually had one of mine get dislodged somehow and it was just floating around in the air can. It wasn't making noise like this but I could see how if you had the same thing happen and it was rubbing on the piston or against something else it might.

Can you pop the can open and just check that everything looks to be in place?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by burkawitz206 View Post
    My DPX2 sounds nothing like that, it is completely silent except the whisper of transfer of air between positive and negative at a certain point in the travel. Since dlxah mentioned glide rings, I actually had one of mine get dislodged somehow and it was just floating around in the air can. It wasn't making noise like this but I could see how if you had the same thing happen and it was rubbing on the piston or against something else it might.

Can you pop the can open and just check that everything looks to be in place?
    That's a good idea, i'll spin the can off and just a quick look

mtbr member
    It sounds like when I blew up the piggyback on my Monarch Plus Debonair on my old Nomad... the IFP blew N2 into the damper and the whole thing sounded like a sucking chest wound. Also the 3-position compression adjuster was rendered moot, and essentially all the damping was gone.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    The dpx2 that came on my 5010 was making same sounds from the get go, along with some cracking scratching noises, it sounds like the damper is just exploded inside. Sent to Fox for warranty repair, one ride and exact same noises are back. Reached out to Santa Cruz but they are out of stock, guess we'll see how fox does 2nd time around. Going to try and ask for a completely new shock.