How are those Pikes and Pike airs holding up for you guys?- Mtbr.com

Jun 2005

How are those Pikes and Pike airs holding up for you guys?

Mine has been the most flawless fork I;ve ever owned. Much easier to change the oil than a Marzocchi and just as reliable.

I was worried about the lack of any breakin time. Mine felt good out of the box back in Nov. 2004. I thought the bushings would be toast in no time. WRONG! Still tight as could be.

Mine has been used mainly for Freeriding. I had it on a 5.5 lb freeride hardtail frame and was doing 3-10 foot drops on it for months. One day I was riding down the trail and about to cross a logging road at 25mph. Little did I know, there was a newly dug drainage ditch right on the side which swallowed my front wheel. Front wheel stoppped, my balls hit the fork stem. No fun. Look to see my fork is barely hanging on by a thread of twisted aluminum. Head tube completely sheared right off the frame. I thought the fork was toast too. Hmmmm no cracks, everything still in perfect alignment, hmmmm, HEY! It's not broken! Minus the 4 mile hike a bike, I was happy to see it take such a hit!

I have pictures, but I wish to not show them. It wouldn't be fare to the frame company. It wasn't their fault at all, any frame would've snapped. Thus I;m not going to mention the name because people on MTBR tend to just to conclusions.

Well, over a year of extreme riding and still top notch. Besides that ounce of Maui Waui buds I got a year ago, this was the best $325 I;ve ever spent!

Bodhisattva
    Nothing to report on my 4 month old Pike. It hasn't given me a second's worth of problem since the day I got it. Only lots of grins (but maybe not as much as the Maui Waui)

No, that's not phonetic
    Almost a year on my Dual Air. No issues. Barny's Dual Air is used (not positive how many miles) and also has been great.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

aka baycat
    No issues what so ever, I am very happy with my Pike Team Air. And this is from someone who actively tried not to get a Rock Shox product for my new bike. But so far so happy, just glad I didnt go with the '05 Fox 36.

it's....
    As Ron Popeil likes to say, "set it and forget it!"
    Had mine since March and all I did was swap to firm spring.
    I'll change the oil over the winter, and hope for another year of maintenance free riding!

Meh.
    I haven't had mine for very long. But I love it. Very stiff and very adjustable. I remember my z150 with 20mm thru-axle flexing more than this fork, and I only ran 6 inch rotors on it.

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    mine has been great, for almost exactly a year now. a nice new one with the aluminum controls and perhaps in one of the air versions would be nice, bet meh why bother. i likely wouldn't notice the wieght difference, and this way i have no worries of having to play with the air stuff. maybe in another year or so i'll swap to one of the air versions.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

mtbr member
    I've used my Pike Race since February. No problems, great fork.

Jun 2005
    Jayem will never admit it, but the Pike has been on a level of reliability that zokes get all the credit for.

I swear I;ve seen 8 times as many threads concerning the AM-1 problems compared to the Pike.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Robot Chicken

I have pictures, but I wish to not show them. It wouldn't be fare to the frame company. It wasn't their fault at all, any frame would've snapped. Thus I;m not going to mention the name because people on MTBR tend to just to conclusions.
    Hey, if the frame was your Azonic Saber, let me lmow or at least pm me. I am still considering one as a replacement for my Heckler, and I want all the info I can get.

Re: Pike. 9 months and it works great! Only problem I had was a broken u-turn knob (plastic crap!) I would love to get my hands on a metal u-turn and rebound knob.

Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta
    Hey, if the frame was your Azonic Saber, let me lmow or at least pm me. I am still considering one as a replacement for my Heckler, and I want all the info I can get.

Re: Pike. 9 months and it works great! Only problem I had was a broken u-turn knob (plastic crap!) I would love to get my hands on a metal u-turn and rebound knob.
    hahhaha LoL @ U.

It was a hardtail frame it busted

Saber is pure beef chuck. Beer, football, guns, all condensed into one manly hunk of frame.

Going for $700 at wheelworld. The build quality on the 2004 models is excellent. Easily just as well built as any $1500 frame. In fact they were $1300 frames back in the day.

Don't get the 16 inch version only the 19. I guess the 16 hits the frame under compression. Check the older threads on it. 19 is butter. Mine has been a blast.

Don't let Jayem scare you with his witchcraft Saber hate spells. The 04 models are built stronger in the chain stays and are stiffer and stronger all around with top tube gussets. 03 models were a bit flexy.

The Romic is actually really good for trail riding. Nice and linear. Go with a DHX frome a 6pack and you can take pretty good sized drops and make the frame last longer.

buy it

~~~~~~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta
    sram said visit your local dealer and they will replace the old knobs with the new.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Robot Chicken
    Don't get the 16 inch version only the 19. I guess the 16 hits the frame under compression. Check the older threads on it. 19 is butter. Mine has been a blast.
    Do you mean the 16" or 17"? I think they came in 16", 17", and 19" Wheelworld has the 17 and 19. I think the 19 may be a little too big for me in terms of standover. The 17" is nearly identical to the fit of my large Heckler. Besides, was it the frame or the seatcollar that got hit? I thought people got away with shaving down the seat collar. Am I confused?

Yes, it sounds like a geat deal, just not sure if I have the money right now. It kind of depends what I can sell the Heckler frame for. I saw a used one (one year old) on ebay go for 710$, but another one did not even sell with a starting bid of $550. Mine is two years old (with the upgraded 2.25" 5th coil) with a lot of scratches. I think if I could get $500, I'd do it. In any event I think I'd better make up my mind soon.

I am also a little worried that I am going to end up spending $400+ to get a better rear shock, though if I keep the Heckler I'd be doing the same thing.

Kapusta

Members who have read this thread: 0