How often does an RP3 need to be topped off?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

How often does an RP3 need to be topped off?

Blur XC. I find I need to put air in every few days as I seem to lose 20-30 lbs after a few days. I pump it up to about 190 and then a few days later it is down to about 150 or so. How long do these shocks hold air? Is this normal? If it is leaky, how does one get it fixed? Send back to Fox? Send to PUSH? Or can my LBS fix it? Thanks.
    Last edited by jimmy; 07-05-2006 at 09:32 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    sounds leaky to me!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmy
    Blur XC. I find I need to put air in every few days as I seem to lose 20-30 lbs after a few days. I pump it up to about 190 and then a few days later it is down to about 150 or so. How long do these shocks hold air? Is this normal? If it is leaky, how does one get it fixed? Send back to Fox? Send to PUSH? Or can my LBS fix it? Thanks.
    It's probably worth checking with the LBS first, could be a warranty issue, if it's a newish shock. (so don't wait till the warranty expires like I almost did)

www.derbyrims.com

Try relube maintenance first

First re lube (oil now?) the air seal. When they dry out they will loose air more rapidly.

Let the air out, unscrew the air sleeve. Use the recommended oil or lube on the slider seal and the seal near the chamber's threads. Screw it back together, air it up and see if it’s better.

You shouldn’t have to air it up more than about 10 psi more than once every 2 weeks or less often.

Follow the directions that should come with a new shock on user maintenance. You should be doing this maintenance every few months. Sometimes the shocks sit around a long time in some hot warehouse before getting sold and used and might just dry out some just from evaporation.

If it still leaks after normal maintenance, call Fox for an RA number. Fox will warrantee it. Or call your dealer you bought it from to warrantee it.

- ray

Do It Yourself
    Pump the shock up to 250psi and dunk under water to check for bubbles. If it only leaks while riding, it must be the seals. 99% of the time, air leaks are very easy to fix.
    Long Live Long Rides

mtbr member
    May 2006
    How are you determining that it is losing 20-30lbs of air. Is your sag measurement changing after a few days? If your attaching a gauge to check, the pressure reading will always be lower due to the air it takes to fill the gauge. These shocks hold a very small volume of air so even just the small amount it takes to fill the gauge will cause a huge drop in pressure.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I suspect the leak b/c when I sit on the bike it feels softer ...

and sags more. Feels like my seat is too low. I go to pump it up & have to pump it back up to about 190 which is about where i like it. Is it easy to remove the shock & check for leaks/ I've never has a rear shock before. THX

www.derbyrims.com
    and sags more. Feels like my seat is too low. I go to pump it up & have to pump it back up to about 190 which is about where i like it. Is it easy to remove the shock & check for leaks/ I've never has a rear shock before. THX
    It may not leak doing a bubble test when off the bike. It may take deep compression to leak. That happened to me with a brand new Fox Float. The much higher pressures when compressing while riding can cause burping past a weak or defective seal. Fox sent me a replacement seal for free that was easy to replace without sending the shock in.

Do the seal lube/oil maintenance, it might cure the problem. But sounds like a weak seal.

- ray

Members who have read this thread: 0