How often do you change your fork seals?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007

How often do you change your fork seals?

Is it necessary to change the seals everytime I change the oil, or if the seals are in good shape, can I just change the oil and reassemble?

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    If the seals are good just change the oil and let it roll.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

How often do you change your fork seals?

Yeah, I only change seals if there's a leak, or if I still feel stiction after a thorough interior clean and grease/oil replacement (regrease your seals).

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Change seals only if there is an oil leak. Otherwise just clean the fork and old oil, grease the seals and put new oil. Good luck, and always inspect your seals.

I've got a 10+ year Duke that's on the original everything but oil. I generally assume everything is okay until it wears our or I break it. When you think about how long seals last in a motorcycle fork, not sure why a bike would wear them out any faster.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    What kind of grease is everyone using? The seals were in great condition, so I just cleaned off the little bit of gunk that had built up inside of them. I've read slick honey is the way to go, but I didn't have any, so i just put a thin layer of Park's Poly Lube on them. Fork feels smooth. I can always order the slick honey and then redo if it's necessary.
    The oil in the lowers was pretty dirty. Other than that everything checked out ok.

I don't grease the seals on my Fox Fork. I use the Fox Float and renew it when it starts sticking (every 9 months to a year. On my older RS Duke, I use triflow currently but I'm convinced that I can use Fox Float on that fork too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by grandegrande View Post
    What kind of grease is everyone using? The seals were in great condition, so I just cleaned off the little bit of gunk that had built up inside of them. I've read slick honey is the way to go, but I didn't have any, so i just put a thin layer of Park's Poly Lube on them. Fork feels smooth. I can always order the slick honey and then redo if it's necessary.
    The oil in the lowers was pretty dirty. Other than that everything checked out ok.
    Slick Honey. Other greases may or may not be compatible with the splash oil, SH is so that's what I always use. Pack some just under the lip in the cavity keeps the fork nice and smooth.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!