How much oil on '04 Fox Float 100mm damper side?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    on my 3rd wind...
    Reputation: SingleTrackHound's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    1,825

    How much oil on '04 Fox Float 100mm damper side?

    How much suspesion oil should be added on the damper side of '04 Float 100mm RLC during seal change. Saw the pictorial instruction on Enduro seal Website but they only had one insruction for Fox 80X (80mm) fork or Vanilla. They said 80X needs 150cc on damper side and 20cc on air spring side. Since the instruction is for 80mm fork, I am wondering 100mm Float RLC takes more oil due to a larger volume. If anyone can show me a specific link that shows how to replace a seal on 100mm Float RLC, that would be great too. I am sure there is almost no diff between 80X and 100 Float RLC, however. Thx.

    STH

  2. #2
    Do It Yourself
    Reputation: Homebrew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,720
    You can use the Vanilla instructions on Enduroforkseals. Travel has no effect on oil levels, it's the same for all the Fox Forx. I've never had any problems adding the full 160cc on any of my Fox Forx. But I use solvent in the legs (mineral spirits), let the damper drain completely, and wring out the foam rings. I think most use 150cc-155cc though.
    Long Live Long Rides

  3. #3
    on my 3rd wind...
    Reputation: SingleTrackHound's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    1,825
    Quote Originally Posted by Homebrew
    You can use the Vanilla instructions on Enduroforkseals. Travel has no effect on oil levels, it's the same for all the Fox Forx. I've never had any problems adding the full 160cc on any of my Fox Forx. But I use solvent in the legs (mineral spirits), let the damper drain completely, and wring out the foam rings. I think most use 150cc-155cc though.
    Thx for the info!

    Another question. On the Fox 80X instruction from Enduro Seal website, 20cc to be added on the air spring side but Vanilla section says to add 30-50cc on the coil spring side. Since I own 100mm Float air fork, does it make sense to add 20cc not 30-50cc? Also, if I want adj progressiveness of the stroke and compression damping, which side of the fork should I experiement with the oil volume? Thx again.

    STH

  4. #4
    DGC
    DGC is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: DGC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,345

    answers

    Quote Originally Posted by SingleTrackHound
    Thx for the info!

    Another question. On the Fox 80X instruction from Enduro Seal website, 20cc to be added on the air spring side but Vanilla section says to add 30-50cc on the coil spring side. Since I own 100mm Float air fork, does it make sense to add 20cc not 30-50cc? Also, if I want adj progressiveness of the stroke and compression damping, which side of the fork should I experiement with the oil volume? Thx again.

    STH

    The Float you have should use the amounts as HB already said. You can mess with the oil amount in the damper side, you can safely run about 145 cc's - 160 cc's=change in progressiveness. The Float ramps up plenty by air chamber size and design, therefore running 160 cc's in that fork would be for someone who is either big or riding quite aggressive. If you drop below 145 cc's you will possibly get some cavitaion, air and oil mixing because the oil amount is low. But......most people rarely set the oil below 150 cc's anyways. You will only effect the very end of the stroke, it will ramp up a bit quicker with more oil. 145 cc's is a good idea for light and or non aggressive riders to try. Oil amount WONT effect compression damping. Compression damping changes would be done by your C=compression clicker on an RLC, and or heavier weight oil, or shim changes on the compression piston. Dont mess with shims unless you know exactly what your doing.
    At this point, consider the PUSH mod upgrade if your not happy with the compression.
    The spring side oil amount differences you mention are due to fork designs and travel in Fox forx.
    For your Float, put in 30 cc's. The Vanilla amount is due to an open end cap where oil can go up into the entire stancion leg area which the spring is in. On the Float the oil amount is at 30 cc's max because the area for that oil to be pushed around in is much smaller due to the air chamber above the splash bath area. I have run as much as 100 cc's in my old Vanilla forx. Cant be done on the air forx.
    If I were you, I would set the damper side at 150-155 cc's as HB said, and then change the fluid amount ontop of the air piston for progressiveness, easy access, easy to put fluid in and out and not mess with the damper. start with 3-5 cc's, go from there.
    OUCH...!!!!!!

  5. #5
    on my 3rd wind...
    Reputation: SingleTrackHound's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    1,825
    Quote Originally Posted by DGC
    The Float you have should use the amounts as HB already said. You can mess with the oil amount in the damper side, you can safely run about 145 cc's - 160 cc's=change in progressiveness. The Float ramps up plenty by air chamber size and design, therefore running 160 cc's in that fork would be for someone who is either big or riding quite aggressive. If you drop below 145 cc's you will possibly get some cavitaion, air and oil mixing because the oil amount is low. But......most people rarely set the oil below 150 cc's anyways. You will only effect the very end of the stroke, it will ramp up a bit quicker with more oil. 145 cc's is a good idea for light and or non aggressive riders to try. Oil amount WONT effect compression damping. Compression damping changes would be done by your C=compression clicker on an RLC, and or heavier weight oil, or shim changes on the compression piston. Dont mess with shims unless you know exactly what your doing.
    At this point, consider the PUSH mod upgrade if your not happy with the compression.
    The spring side oil amount differences you mention are due to fork designs and travel in Fox forx.
    For your Float, put in 30 cc's. The Vanilla amount is due to an open end cap where oil can go up into the entire stancion leg area which the spring is in. On the Float the oil amount is at 30 cc's max because the area for that oil to be pushed around in is much smaller due to the air chamber above the splash bath area. I have run as much as 100 cc's in my old Vanilla forx. Cant be done on the air forx.
    If I were you, I would set the damper side at 150-155 cc's as HB said, and then change the fluid amount ontop of the air piston for progressiveness, easy access, easy to put fluid in and out and not mess with the damper. start with 3-5 cc's, go from there.
    Great stuff, DGC! I feel that I have all the info I need to replace the seal and adj fork's progssiveness at the same time...albeit my first attempt. I just want to be clear on the last paragraph you wrote. I understand the adding 30cc on air spring side (adding from the bottom of the fork) and 150-155 cc on damper side...both 7wt Fox oil. But addng 3-5cc on top of the air piston, accesing from top to add, do you mean the Fox Float Fluid not the 7wt oil? The one that is added via removing the top cap where the schrader air valve is located on the air spring side? Thx.

    STH

  6. #6
    Do It Yourself
    Reputation: Homebrew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,720
    Quote Originally Posted by SingleTrackHound
    But addng 3-5cc on top of the air piston, accesing from top to add, do you mean the Fox Float Fluid not the 7wt oil? The one that is added via removing the top cap where the schrader air valve is located on the air spring side?
    Correct, the 3cc-5cc on top of the air piston is Float Fluid. Everything else is Fox Suspesnion Fluid (i.e. Torco RSF Medium).
    Long Live Long Rides

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.