how is fork action sacrificed when changing travel from 100 to 80mm on Mantiou Black- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

how is fork action sacrificed when changing travel from 100 to 80mm on Mantiou Black

Say I've got a frame that was designed for an 80mm fork.
    And I put an adjustable travel 80-100 mm Black Fork on there.

When I dial the travel to the lower setting, will the action of the fork become noticeabley stiffer?

I am 135lbs, and am thinking of specing the light rider spring in there. Will that help provide smoother action when dialed into the lower setting.

I want the adjustable travel because I don't know yet how the taller travel would affect the geometry. It may be better or may be too slow, I dunno.

I am just speculating that if the geometry slows down in the singletrack, that this is something that I can grow to compensate for over time. But that the added stability will be beneficial overall, and help my confidence on downhills and technical terrain.

Anyway any help would be appreciated.

thanks

We get titles?
    I have a Black 100/120 that I run in the 120 position. When I knock it down to 100, it does become stiffer, as you say. I haven't opened the thing up yet, but my understanding is that when I go from 120 to 100, it is just locking out the first 20mm of travel, which is the most supple. But my feeling is that with sag, 20mm isn't much. So yeah, it's a bit stiffer, but not a dealbreaker for me.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Definitely stiffer, but nice

I put a Black Elite 80/100 on my softtail a couple weeks ago. The bike was designed for 80mm, but has pretty quick handling. The 100 mm setting definitely slows handling down, but actually in a pretty nice way, I like it a lot. 100mm is also super-plush, great for downhill but sucks for the climbing. 80mm is much stiffer, good for tight trails and climbing. It takes the same force to bottom out, but has a really high preload.

Overall I am extremely happy with the fork, lets hope it holds up.

\|/Home of the Braves\|/
    Hmmm, lots of Black posts today! I've had the same experience as necro and upNdown. I have an 80/100 on my NRS which is designed for an 80 fork. It is noticably stiffer in 80 than 100 because the spring is compressed. You really get two "personalities". A faster handling, firmer XC like ride and a more stable, more forgiving, plush all-mountainy ride.
    I weigh about 180 and really like the springs that came on my fork. You'll probably want to go lighter at your weight.
    Big hoopy.
    Turner Sultan / On One Inbred

mtbr member
    The black travel adjust is just a lockdown. It uses a coil spring to preload the main spring by 20mm.

The result is it feels firmer on the top and through the middle of the travel. Because there's only one weight of negative spring available using a lighter spring won't help much for locked down small bump feel.

I think you'll just grow to like the feel of the 100mm setting more and forget about the 80mm one. I've got a customised 130mm dual crown black sitting on the floor here, I've yet to install it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Thanks everyone

Thanks everyone for their input.
    I searched through the archives and found some good posts, but still left lots of questions.

I made a mistake though in the orig. post. I am currently riding a 2000 SX Ti . Which I think is 70mm of travel. Not sure.

I am leaning towards the 100mm. Just hope that the jump from 70 to 100 isn't too much.

Whenever I make a decision, I will post my thoughts on the change.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

What about the new Rapid Travel Wind Down (RTWD)

Hey,
    was just reading the 2004 Black forks at Answer's sight.

They talk about the Rapid Travel Wind Down feature for changing travel from 90-120. They say that the change in travel won't affect the spring rate.

Is this different than what we've been talking abou with the older adjustable Blacks?

thanks

otb club member

RTA vs RTWD

Quote Originally Posted by ashwinearl
    Hey,
    was just reading the 2004 Black forks at Answer's sight.

They talk about the Rapid Travel Wind Down feature for changing travel from 90-120. They say that the change in travel won't affect the spring rate.

Is this different than what we've been talking abou with the older adjustable Blacks?

thanks
    Yeah, the Rapid Travel Wind Down is new. In my opinion it is a response to the shortcomings of the RTA (Rapid Travel Adjust), which is what you were originally asking about and what everyone else was discussing. There are some other threads that are on this forum directly addressing the performance of this new system. I haven't used it myself, so I won't comment on it, but I do not like the old (RTA) system. Unless you are going to be in 100mm mode almost all the time, I would not get it. When in 80mm travel mode, why would anyone want to completely give up small bump compliance (which is exactly what happens when the travel is reduced by partially compressing the spring).

-Chris
    http://www.enduroforkseals.com

Members who have read this thread: 0