How did this happen? Shock seal pulled out- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2019

How did this happen? Shock seal pulled out

I went for a ride the other day and it was really muddy. As I was loading my bike back up into my car I noticed that the dust wiper seal had pulled out about a third of the way around the shock shaft. I never felt any difference in the way it rode. I did some googling and found plenty of hits on this happening with forks but not on shocks. So what caused this to happen? Obviously I'll be replacing the seals now and cleaning out any dirt that got into the air can.How did this happen? Shock seal pulled out-img_20200112_153932.jpg

mtbr member
    Perhaps to long of a gap without service

Enviado do meu SM-G975F através do Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Shaft too dry? Do you oil it slightly from time to time?
    You didn't quit riding because you're old, you're old because you quit riding.

mtbr member
    I've never seen that...potentially seal was not properly installed from the get go? How much riding has that shock seen prior to this happening?
    12 Santa Cruz Heckler
    18 Kona Process 153 AL/DL (27.5)...:thumbsup:

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I purchased a used frame online and it arrived with the dust sealing hanging out of a Fox RP23. I had to pull the air canister off to re-install. Upon closer inspection I found the inside seal groove landing was bent and that high internal pressures probably bent the groove landing. Since it was a used frame I don't know what pressures the original owner was running. I did have to buy a new air canister.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Well I can't say exactly how many hours are on it since I don't track that kind of thing, but it's probably over what Fox says for service intervals (those seem so short IMO, what do they want me to service it every two weeks in the summer?!). The bike is a 2019 strive that I've had since the end of September.

Pro Crastinator
    it's just a dust seal. clean it up and stick it back..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by freetors1 View Post
    Well I can't say exactly how many hours are on it since I don't track that kind of thing, but it's probably over what Fox says for service intervals (those seem so short IMO, what do they want me to service it every two weeks in the summer?!). The bike is a 2019 strive that I've had since the end of September.
    Was just wondering if it had huge hours on it without servicing. I've gone waaaay beyond mfg service intervals for shocks and forks and never saw anything like this (I've had Fox and Rockshox).

I'm not a factory trained pro but I've done all my own bike work for years. It's less than a year old so it's most likely an assembly issue from factory. I would do a regular service on it but a take a close look in the dust seal interface area to ensure seal fits into bore as expected then ride it!
    12 Santa Cruz Heckler
    18 Kona Process 153 AL/DL (27.5)...:thumbsup:

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by keen View Post
    I purchased a used frame online and it arrived with the dust sealing hanging out of a Fox RP23. I had to pull the air canister off to re-install. Upon closer inspection I found the inside seal groove landing was bent and that high internal pressures probably bent the groove landing. Since it was a used frame I don't know what pressures the original owner was running. I did have to buy a new air canister.
    This!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by keen View Post
    Another "this". I had it happen to one of my shocks. I am a clyde, but was still under the max pressure, I assume my clydeness contributed. I had to buy a new can.

Reps in da house.
    We seen that under certain circumstances that having too much grease between the outer wiper and the inner seal can overpressurize that area and blow the dust wiper out.... no biggie though.