HELP with Stuck REBA SL- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2004

New question here. HELP with Stuck REBA SL

Hi all,

Hopefully somebody can help.

So this is a brand new 09 RS REBA SL (dual air) that came on a Santa Cruz Blur XC.

Basicallly just as we finished unpacking and assembling the bike, the fork felt completely locked out, so we thought it had too much pressure, checked the positive air chamber and it seemed normal (about 90-100psi) then checked the negative chamber and it was completely empty, ok, so we put about the same pressure as on the positive side and then it seemed to compress fine, we take the bike around the block, and it starts stiffening up again and after a few minutes it feels pretty much locked out again, we check the negative chamber again and it has lost all pressure.

So we start pumping it up once more, and suddenly the dust seal on the left leg just pops out and oil starts flowing out, ok, push the dust seal back into place, pump the negative air chamber again and the fork feels fine again but it only lasts a few minutes with the same results.

After trying a couple of times, I even left the pump attached to the negative valve after pumping it up again and just let it sit there for a few minutes and I could see the gauge moving down slowly, so there is obviously a leak on the negative air chamber.

So, has anybody had any experience like this ?
    Does this seem like something that can be easily fixed?

Specs in case it helps:
    2009 REBA SL, Dual Air, Motion Control, 100mm, 26".

Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    eyederman,
    It seems air is leaking past the Neg seal into the lowers (not into the Pos chamber).
    Without seeing the fork I would suspect a damage O-ring seal on the left leg where the rod comes out of the stanchion tube. This would explain the lockout and the blown dust wiper seal. Its a pretty easy fix - it's a new fork, it should be covered under warranty.

mtbr member
    May 2004

Thanks

Thanks for your reply Cort,

Yes, indeed, it's a brand new fork and should be covered under warranty, however, the bike was purchased internationally, and it would be a little bit more hassle and time consuming to send it back for warranty so if it were something relatively simple and easy to fix we would like to avoid sending it back.

And yes, you are right and it seems like air is leaking from the negative chamber into the fork leg, NOT into the positive chamber as the pressure in the latter does not increase at all, and that explains why the dust seal pops out and you can see air bubbles coming out through the foam ring under the dust seal.

Looking at the Service Instructions, it looks like it could be the Base plate O-ring/bumper, right?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    It sounds like the seal head O-rings. There is an external (seals next to the stanchion) and an internal (seals next to the shaft).
    I know they made changes to the 09 rebas so i am note sure about the sizes. I have O ring kits for older Rebas but am not sure if some of the O rings are the same or not.
    You may just have to order a service kit to be sure.
    Ask me About O Rings (Check the Classified section)

mtbr member
    Simple NEG leaking into the POS chamber, the earlier original Reba's suffered this quite a bit. Easy fix is to open her up and make sure that all the seals are properly lubed/oiled - have had it happen and that's all I did neve a problem again. Not worth sending back to RS with how long they take IMHO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

mtbr member
    May 2004

Thank you!

Thank you all for your replies, I'll open it up and check the o-rings, otherwise it's going back to RS.

Members who have read this thread: 0