Help sell me on the All Mountain 1- Mtbr.com
    Group Hug Participant

Help sell me on the All Mountain 1

I'm getting ready to purchase an '06 Marzocchi All Mountain 1 through the crash replacement program and want to make sure this is the fork for me. Currently, I'm running an old '02 Z1 FR, 130 mm., w/ETA on an '02 RM Slayer (4" travel). My goal is to upgrade the fork and use it on the Slayer (while running it at 140 mm.), then get a new frame (possibly a Reign, or something else in the 6" range.)
    I guess my first question is will I like this fork on the Slayer? I'm not sure of my current axle to crown height, but I'm sure the geometry will change somewhat?
    Second question is, considering future frame upgrades, how will this fork perform in the free ride category? 85% of my riding is "all mountain", but I'm being heavily influenced by my free riding posse (still fighting the urge to buy full face helmet ). I know I should also consider the z1 series, but I don't want to get a new front wheel. And considering I'm a fairly light rider (165 lb. w/ gear), shouldn't the AM1 hold up well enough for medium sized drops?
    Thanks for any input.
    Official Chocolate Fountain Spokesman

Jun 2006
    I run one and it seems to do fine in the 3-5 foot drop range but I'm still a little tempted by the 66.

I would say its probably the most fork that you can put a standard wheel on. But you might start bashing up your wheels when you get more aggressive with your travel and find that you want new wheels anyway (as I did).

Group Hug Participant
    Quote Originally Posted by fumanchuchu
    I would say its probably the most fork that you can put a standard wheel on.
    Cool, so you're happy with it. What frame ya runnin, if you don't mind me asking?

Nevermind, saw your profile. Say, have you taken any of those new drops off Evolution with your current setup? If so, that's proof enough for me.
    Last edited by <sL4yEr>RuLz; 07-15-2006 at 08:54 PM.
    Official Chocolate Fountain Spokesman

Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by <sL4yEr>RuLz
    Cool, so you're happy with it. What frame ya runnin, if you don't mind me asking?

Nevermind, saw your profile. Say, have you taken any of those new drops off Evolution with your current setup? If so, that's proof enough for me.
    My balls are still growing into my bike, I just hit evolution for the first time yesterday and rode around most of the big stuff, but I think that's more me than my bike. I wouldn't worry about my forks handling most of that action, but if you want to hit that stuff all day long I would suggest something a little stouter (66). I think my setup is perfect or bobs and 911 style trails and someday I will hit some of the monsters on scorpoin/evolution, and my forks will probably handle it.

If you're hitting galbraith you'll really like the eta and the light weight.

Members who have read this thread: 0