Help pick me out a newish fork- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Help pick me out a newish fork

Hey guys, I'm switching over from road bikes and bought a used 2002 Specialized RockHopper. The PO has upgraded the shifting and brakes (though not disk) but he has down graded the fork. He said this bike was his primary ride until upgrading to a full suspension bike, so I'm assuming he took a good fork off this bike and installed the junky fork that's on there now.

The fork on there now is an older RockShox Judy T2 and it is sticky and rides like crap.

I'd like to upgrade the fork for cheap, real cheap like under $150 cheap. I know this can be done because the fork is shot, problem is I don't have a disc front hub so I can't get a newer take off from a disc bike. Also the head tube on this frame is huge, so I'd need around a 225mm steerer tube which is even harder to find on a used fork.

So, any suggestions on what to look for or avoid? I'm pretty green on MTB stuff.

Thanks
    Last edited by redmosquito1983; 06-12-2011 at 07:34 PM.

Made in Canada
    It's going to be hard to find something half decent for that pricepoint (that I know of). You can keep watching craigslist and the buy/sell on pinkbike for deals. Another option is to go to a rigid fork. If your fork is shot a rigid fork will be an upgrade IMO.
    STOLEN: '07 Banshee Viento - See Eastern Canada Forum for Pictures. If anyone sees it contact me ASAP!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    It still moves and does help on the bumps, but its just shitty and old. I have no clue the age of this fork, maybe I can rebuild it. I corrected the original post, the fork says Judy T2 Long travel.

I found a good deal on a suntour fork local but it was disk only, I could get a new hub and lace it up but then I'm looking into droping a ton of cash into the bike. I can buy a new rockhopper 29er Disc for under a grand and move my shifters over and be at the same price as building this one up.

Decisions decisions.

TLO
    Ride more ***** less
    Sep 2009
    Go for the 29'er
    Lovin the hardtail

Made in Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by redmosquito1983 View Post
    It still moves and does help on the bumps, but its just shitty and old. I have no clue the age of this fork, maybe I can rebuild it. I corrected the original post, the fork says Judy T2 Long travel.

I found a good deal on a suntour fork local but it was disk only, I could get a new hub and lace it up but then I'm looking into droping a ton of cash into the bike. I can buy a new rockhopper 29er Disc for under a grand and move my shifters over and be at the same price as building this one up.

Decisions decisions.
    As far as I can tell (Google searching) that fork is from 1998. I wouldn't bother trying to fix it. On the plus side, almost anything would be an "upgrade" although most would argue that there's no point getting even a cheap fork because it won't give you added performance. IMO get a rigid fork on there and enjoy riding what you've got!
    STOLEN: '07 Banshee Viento - See Eastern Canada Forum for Pictures. If anyone sees it contact me ASAP!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I'm saving currently for the 29er. The trails I ride lend themselves to the benefits of a 29er, so ultimately that's what I'm going for. I need to save though.

That being said, it'll probably be sometime next year before I get it so I am looking to upgrade this thing cheaply. I guess if I buy a really nice fork I can move that too.

I don't want a rigid fork though, this one moves enough to make me more comfy and confident on down hill runs.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Forget used. Your steerer tube requirements will make it impossible to find something at that price.

I think the best option is the Rock Shox Tora. It's $154+shipping at greenfish sports. You get v brake mounts, a lockout, and a decent enough fork given your price point. If you want to spend just a little more, Performance has the Recon silver for ~$180 after coupon. I think either one would suit your needs.

Class Clown
    says the recon will be in stock 8/5!

TLO
    Ride more ***** less
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by hken2 View Post
    Forget used. Your steerer tube requirements will make it impossible to find something at that price.

I think the best option is the Rock Shox Tora. It's $154+shipping at greenfish sports. You get v brake mounts, a lockout, and a decent enough fork given your price point. If you want to spend just a little more, Performance has the Recon silver for ~$180 after coupon. I think either one would suit your needs.
    Ya what he said! Thought the 29er was a today option.
    Lovin the hardtail

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by dundundata View Post
    says the recon will be in stock 8/5!
    I know they have them instore. You could call a stores to see if they would ship one

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    for $150 you can get a marathon SL or a marzocchi Z1 (pre 2001 are the ones that I like)... Just have to be on lookout on ebay. Z1s are pretty much indestructible and easy to service.