Help me Tune my 04' TALAS RLC Fork- Mtbr.com

Jan 2004

Upset Help me Tune my 04' TALAS RLC Fork

Ok;
    Have about 300 miles on my TALAS and I still cant get the darn thing smooth. I am195lbs and have tried air pressure from 90lbs all the way down to 55lbs. I have tried between 10%-25% Sag.
    The problem is at low to medium speed the fork acts like it is locked out. My rebound knob is pegged to the left (fully active) and I can see the fork working. It is bone jarring when I am descending and on the brake. I have tried tweaking every adjustment and every setting of rebound.
    Is anybody else running crazy low pressure? I can see by the tell tale oil ring left after the ride that I am using all of the travel. I have not bottomed the fork out yet even running 55lbs
    I am coming from a Marz Marathon SL. Am I just asking too much from this fork?
    The fork does feel better at the lower pressures. Should I try 50lbs?
    Anybody else coming from the Marathon to the Float?

Feb 2004

Bingo!

Quote Originally Posted by 2tricky
    Ok;
    Have about 300 miles on my TALAS and I still cant get the darn thing smooth. I am195lbs and have tried air pressure from 90lbs all the way down to 55lbs. I have tried between 10%-25% Sag.
    The problem is at low to medium speed the fork acts like it is locked out. My rebound knob is pegged to the left (fully active) and I can see the fork working. It is bone jarring when I am descending and on the brake. I have tried tweaking every adjustment and every setting of rebound.
    Is anybody else running crazy low pressure? I can see by the tell tale oil ring left after the ride that I am using all of the travel. I have not bottomed the fork out yet even running 55lbs
    This is not going to help you one bit but I have the exact issues with this fork.
    I found your post by searching for TALAS as I am stumped. All facts in your post are same with my fork only it is an 03
    It is crazy as the fork is active and I too am using all the travel.
    Bone jarring is spot on. Unless I get some ideas the fork has to go which
    is nuts because 90% of all the posts I read rave about the fork.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Similar experience...

The Talas is a great fork, very stiff and very well built. However, I used to have a Marzo Atom Race and it felt way more plush then the Talas. I'm only 150lbs and I run about 50lbs in my Talas. When I push on it standing still, it feels good, nice and plush. But riding on the trails at speed the travel becomes kind of stiff. I tried my girlfriend bike which has a Psylo and it is way plusher than my Talas.

So last night I tried a new trick that I read from other posters. I changed the oil in the damper side going from the stock 7.5wt oil to a 2.5wt oil. Just pushing on the fork now I can already feel a little bit of difference but not a lot. The real test will be this weekend when I go riding. Hopefully it will help but I have already come to the conclusion that it will never have the feel of a good coil/oil type fork.

Ok;

Jan 2004

Something is wrong

I am about 190lbs with gear and I run 105psi ( = 20% sag for me) with great success. I generally have the fork set at about 100 mm of travel and have the rebound set at 3 clicks from full fast. The fork is very smooth for me and I don't have any of the problems your are having

Since you are actually able to get full travel I doubt that your oil level is too high. It almost sounds like your lockout is actually on which would make it very harsh on slow hits (depending on the blowoff setting) but would still get full travel on a big hit. I guess I would take the fork apart and give it a good cleaning and some fresh oil if for no other reason than to eliminate the cheap and easy fixes. I would also make sure that the lockout lever was correctly assembled while I had the fork apart.

Also, if I ran 55 psi in my fork it would bottom very very easily and would certainly be unridable. Even at 90psi, it will bottom when I preload for a bunnyhop so 55psi would be far too undersprung for my fork. Are you sure your gauge is correct or that the fork doesn't feel harsh because it is bottoming? My old Manitou shock pump lasted a few years before the guage started reading incorrectly. It now reads 25psi before I even attach it to the bike. (Note: The psi measurements I quoted earlier where obtained using a different and fully functioning shock pump)

Sorry I can't be more help, I just thought it should be stated that this is not how the fork should feel for a heavier rider like yourself.

-Joe
    Last edited by Joeman; 06-30-2004 at 12:49 PM. Reason: Typos

Motion activated
    Ok;
    My rebound knob is pegged to the left (fully active)
    Well I don't have that fork, but my wife has a fox float 100 RLC and I've helped her tune it.

You don't want your rebound adjustment set to all on or all off.

If it feels like there is no stiction when you push down on the fork when you're off the bike, but it feels harsh on the trail, it could be your rebound isn't set right.

Try this;

Set the air pressure so you have 25-30% sag. Set the compression all the way out (i.e no compression damping - if the fork has compression adjustment). Try setting the rebound about 1/2 way and make small adjustments either way.

mtbr member
    May 2004

Try different oil weight...

Ok;

If you have the stock 7.5wt oil, try going down to 5wt and so on so forth until it rides the way you like it.
    With lighter wt oil, you will go through your travel quicker, be sure to add more air. Also use good quality fork oil like golden spectro or something like that.
    one other thing, remember to flush out ALL of you old oil , so that you don't mix oils.

hope this helps

Professional Slacker
    Jun 2004
    Ok;
    Okay, first set the proper sag, and then leave the air pressure alone, except to ensure that it's properly inflated.

Full fast rebound is not good either, you want the fork to rebound just fast enough so that it isn't "packing up." That's when the fork doesn't rebound fully and ends up getting lower in it's travel and harsher over stutter bumps. You want a quick rebound, but yet a controllable rebound. You didn't spend all that money for a pogo stick.

In the owner's manual, there are suggested settings for all the various knobs and dials, set the proper sag, set your fork up to the suggested settings and go from there. Only adjust one thing at a time, and make small changes (only a couple of clicks at a time), then test/go for a ride. Pay attention to how it feels and if it feels better, worse, or the same.

I've got my rebound pretty fast, but not full fast, just a few clicks of compression damping, and the lockout blowoff almost full soft.

Rich

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Others have made some great recommendations...... If your fork (likely) is less than a year old, send it in to Fox.
    As far as setup : Crank your Rebound to FULL Slow then back it off 3 - 4 clicks, Open the Compresion Damping all the way open and try about 85 psi.

What Bike is this fork on by the way??? All-around setup is key to suspension performance.....

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Time for an oil change/cleaning.....

I had similar issues with my TALAS and sent it in to FOX for warranty investigation.
    It seems the fork had manufacturing debris clogging the various keyhole valves in the damper side, limiting its performance (feeling harsh on the small stuff).

Supposedly this is not rare for a new fork/shock to experience, but it makes me wonder how well things are done during assembly at the factory.

FOX did nothing more than thoroughly clean the internals and change the oil.
    You would be able to save yourself the downtime of sending the fork in to FOX by doing this work yourself or having a local shop do it, Its a relatively easy procedure and if you do it yourself you can be sure its going to get a good internal cleaning.

When my TALAS came back from FOX I noticed a huge difference in performance, and I'm no longer thinking of ditching it.

Something to investigate anyway.

Let us know how it goes.

Feb 2004

I think I'll try cleaning it and 5 weight oil

Thanks for the ideas! I think I'll try cleaning it out as suggested and lighter oil. I'll feed back to the group when done and tested.

DMFT: I don't know about 2tricky but my ride is a Turner 5 Spot.

Tanks again!

mtbr member
    Just a note on the fork work: Fox forks are very easy to work on, so don't be intimidated by that. Download their instructions and buy replacement oil before you start...the rest is easy.

If you want to replace your seals with the chi-chi Enduro seals, you'd be able to do so at the time you swap out oils and clean the internals. They pop in and out like corks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EBasil
    If you want to replace your seals with the chi-chi Enduro seals, you'd be able to do so at the time you swap out oils and clean the internals.
    And they're about the same price as a seal kit from Fox.

Good set up tips. I'll be using this thread to get my TALAS dialed as soon as my FloatR shock comes back from Push Industries.

Apr 2004
    Ok;
    Why did you change from a Marathon SL to the TALAS?? Just curious, what didn't you like about the Marzocchi????

I am trying to decide between the Marathon SL and the TALAS, so any info you could pass on to me would be a giga big help. Thanks