Help me choose a fork from Performance Bike- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Help me choose a fork from Performance Bike

hey everyone. i have $150 dollars in team performance points (bought a road bike) saved up and want to use it on a new fork for my 2004 kona kikapu. i dont have much to choose from but they seem to have ok deals.

im debating between three of them: Manitou Black Platinum($279), Marzochhi MX Pro w/ETA($309), or the Manitou Minute 03($339). They are around the same price so any input would be great.

If it helps i weigh 145 pounds.

I dig trails!
    Quote Originally Posted by chowmeiniac
    hey everyone. i have $150 dollars in team performance points (bought a road bike) saved up and want to use it on a new fork for my 2004 kona kikapu. i dont have much to choose from but they seem to have ok deals.

im debating between three of them: Manitou Black Platinum($279), Marzochhi MX Pro w/ETA($309), or the Manitou Minute 03($339). They are around the same price so any input would be great.

You should describe what you are looking for in a fork. What kind of riding you do and hope ot do witht the new fork as each of those have different characteristics.

Without that info I would say the Minute 3. That is an amazing price for that fork. SPV light and 130mm of travel, and insta-travel adjustment switch.

Mr. P

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by chowmeiniac

An SPV fork would be a nice match if your rear shock is Propedal, and both those Manitous have better damping than the MX Pro anyway. I installed a Propedal shock on my FSR earlier this year, with a Psylo Race on the front, and there is noticable brake dive on steep downhills, so I'm about to install a Minute 3 also. I use the Psylo's U-turn a lot, so I'm expecting to use IT even more.

If you don't need IT remote, you can get an '05 Minute 1 for as low as $250 at Greenfish, around ~4lb, still has SPV Evolve and 100-130mm RTWD. At 145lbs you should be ok with the stock coil spring too (so no extra cost spring upgrade).

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    thanks for the help. i plan to do mostly xc riding. No big jumps or anything.

I think im going to go with the Manitou Minute 3. I dont know much about forks but ill do some more reading on the site before I order it.

Thanks again!

Members who have read this thread: 0