Help on Manitou stripped bolt- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Help on Manitou stripped bolt

Today i was changing the semi-bath oil on my Minute Expert 2011, and when tightening the bottom left leg bolt of the lowers, the bolt just kept on turning. I didnt over torque it, i was barely hand tightening it at first and then with a wrench.

I tried tightening the bolt on the silver shaft where it bolts on without the lowers, and the shaft itself was turning, so im not sure if when the lowers are in place, the shaft locks itself somehow, or i stripped the threads on the silver shaft.

Left leg = spring side.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Apply as much downward force as you can on the lowers to help the rod not turn.
    Also check you haven't filled the bolt hole up with oil. The oil needs to bleed out before the bolt will seat.
    Owner of www.shockcraft.co.nz, Mech Engineer, Tuner, Manitou, Motorex, Vorsprung EPTC, SKF, Enduro
    www.dougal.co.nz

mtbr member
    The bolt isnt stripped, that shaft is just spinning in the fork leg and is a fairly common problem to com across on forks. Try pushing down on the lowers as you tighten the bolt. You can also temporarily add 100psi or so while tightening it. Doing both these will put more pressure on the shaft, keeping it from spinning.(hopefully)

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Those are two brilliant answers, didnt think about that, gonna give it a go tomorrow morning

BTW, why make some weak aluminum threads instead of solid steel ones? 15 grams less?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by assas1n View Post
    Those are two brilliant answers, didnt think about that, gonna give it a go tomorrow morning

BTW, why make some weak aluminum threads instead of solid steel ones? 15 grams less?
    People buy forks by the numbers, not on how they stand up to regular maintainence.

But if you are careful alloy threads are fine. Just avoid cross threading or over-torquing them.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Ok did those two things today, 100 PSI and downward force on the lowers. I indeed could get the bolt more tightly in, not a complete solution but it worked.

What if the next time i change the oil, i put a little o-ring on the top of that shaft, so it has more friction against the lowers, avoiding it from spinning?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by assas1n View Post
    Ok did those two things today, 100 PSI and downward force on the lowers. I indeed could get the bolt more tightly in, not a complete solution but it worked.

What if the next time i change the oil, i put a little o-ring on the top of that shaft, so it has more friction against the lowers, avoiding it from spinning?
    Next time you have it apart, check the bolt threads in all the way easily by hand. It's easier to check and clean threads with the fork apart.
    Owner of www.shockcraft.co.nz, Mech Engineer, Tuner, Manitou, Motorex, Vorsprung EPTC, SKF, Enduro
    www.dougal.co.nz