HELP! how do i get this spring off this spring shaft assembly (RS TORA) Pics included- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

HELP! how do i get this spring off this spring shaft assembly (RS TORA) Pics included

awful pic i'm sorry

i have the thing taken apart and i would like to finally have this spring installed. how do i get the old spring off so i can get the new one in place?

i know it looks like there's a disparity in the sizes but i've figured out how they want me to fix that i just need to know how to get the spring off of the shaft and the preload adjuster off the sprig as well...

i'll grab a better picture in a bit.

EDR
    Can't speak for the Tora but on my old Pike and my Lyrik shaft and top cap comes with the spring when you buy it.
    Universal Cycles -- Rock Shox Tora Spring Kits

Former Bike Wrench
    The spring unit with the shaft is from a U-Turn unit, the bare spring is for a standard Tora...two different systems. Buying a new U-Turn spring includes the entire unit.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72 View Post
    The spring unit with the shaft is from a U-Turn unit, the bare spring is for a standard Tora...two different systems. Buying a new U-Turn spring includes the entire unit.

mine's not a u-turn though!

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by 4x4runner View Post
    mine's not a u-turn though!
    Are you sure, because the spring unit on the bottom looks exactly like a U-Turn unit. And the spring on the top isn't even the same length.

I AM I AM
    This isn't going to help but it certainly looks like you ordered the wrong sping, for a start it looks a lot shorter than the one you're replacing!

The only coil fork I"ve had is a Domain, the spring in that wasn't attached to the shaft in any way.

I'm not up to date with the current Rock Shox but some OEM Tora forks could be longer travel, so even though it's not U-Turn I'm guessing you've ordered a 100mm spring that might come with standard models when the Tora on your bike might be a special OEM model made for the manufacturer of your bike if not an aftermarket option on the Rox Shox website.

mtbr member
    i just put it back together and ordered a Reba RLT... that's how frustrated i got...

Quote Originally Posted by ducktape View Post
    This isn't going to help but it certainly looks like you ordered the wrong sping,
    regarding this. on the shaft there's a pin that runs through the bottom "spring retainer" and if it's removed you can move the retainer up farther on the shaft to compensate for difference in sizes of the spring.

i appreciate all the help guys, i only have one more ride on this fork before it goes up for sdale because my reba should be in by next thursday and i start my second semester of law school monday anyway so i'm ok with it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72 View Post
    Are you sure, because the spring unit on the bottom looks exactly like a U-Turn unit. And the spring on the top isn't even the same length.
    Yup, that's a U-Turn unit.