help - how do I get the retaining collar off- Mtbr.com
    Goathead Gladiator

help - how do I get the retaining collar off

2004 swinger 3 way coil. Currently the spring, even though I loosened it as much as possible, is pushing the retaining collar really tight, I can't get it off. any suggestions? Trying to get this done tonight .... hopefully

PS to those who read my shock oil post, I got the maxim 5 wt fork oil 2qts today and I'm ready to go

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bwolmarans
    2004 swinger 3 way coil. Currently the spring, even though I loosened it as much as possible, is pushing the retaining collar really tight, I can't get it off. any suggestions? Trying to get this done tonight .... hopefully

PS to those who read my shock oil post, I got the maxim 5 wt fork oil 2qts today and I'm ready to go
    The spring? As in THE spring? Like the big arse main coil spring on the outside of the shock? If you can't get the retaining collar backed off enough then the spring that is on that shock is too long. You'd need some kind of external spring compressor to compress the spring and loosen the collar that way.

Okay okay, quit freaking out now because I know you are.

What's up with that collar - is it ALL the way back on the threads, or can you still turn it more and it's just really difficult to turn?
    I ..... need ..... DIRT!!!!!

... and cookies. :D

Goathead Gladiator
    The right answer was to put a big screwdriver throught the upper shock eyelet and suspend the shock between two garage rafters, then place the hooks of some strong tie-downs on either side of the coils and using a heavy workbench, ratchet the spring down.

I'm surprised nobody answered this.
    I was also surprised at the right answer.
    I did the wrong answer method and used an angle grinder to grind off the old spring. $30 dollar mistake at least plus I busted off the rebound knob. Good thing the rebound feels pretty good as it is.

Members who have read this thread: 0