Has anyone had a shock Pushed and *NOT* liked it?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Has anyone had a shock Pushed and *NOT* liked it?

It seems no-one has had a Float pushed on a Blur, so lets take it from a different tack - has anyone had their shock Pushed and *not* liked it?

Do It Yourself
    My buddy PUSHed his AVA and liked it a lot better than stock. But on to your next question, I have another buddy that had the Float PUSHed on his Enduro and didn't like the feel. He said it didn't give feedback. I rode it and it felt fine to me. I guess it was just working as a proper suspension should and he wasn't used to that. He never sent it back to PUSH or even contacted them though.
    Long Live Long Rides

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    So far, yes.

I had a RP3 I bought from PUSH for a Yeti 575. Worked great. I sold the yeti and bought a Ventana 5" El Saltamontes. Same shock. Horrible. I sent it back to PUSH to be adjusted. Still worse than the stock float that came with the Ventana. Not enough platform to handle the bob of the Ventana. I am debating selling it as is or going back to PUSH again.

YMMMV,
    DJ

mtbr member
    It seems no-one has had a Float pushed on a Blur
    The Blur and Blur LT shocks rank in our top 5 most common shocks in for tuning.

drjos, as for your shock, yes we do struggle with the Ventana applications when using the stock air sleeve. The Ventana frames have very high starting leverage rates which easily over power base Propedal settings. The problem is when we increase the Propedal settings it effects the frames ability to get full travel. This is easily remedied by installing a high volume air sleeve which allows us to get you both characteristics. Firm Propedal settings to help with the "bob" and a much more linear air spring to allow the shock to still get full stroke.

As always, we strive to work with our customers to meet their expectations.

Darren

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterThomas
    It seems no-one has had a Float pushed on a Blur, so lets take it from a different tack - has anyone had their shock Pushed and *not* liked it?
    I have a Blur with a Float R w/ AVA that I had Pushed. BEST upgrade that I've done to that bike! Climbs better with the stable patform and the valving is such that it rides more plush too! I wouldn't think you could have the best of both worlds but with the PUSH internals you CAN! DO IT!

G MAN

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Thanks for the reply Darren - its always good to hear these things from the horses mouth! Do you typically add much (or any?) platform to a VPP bike?

I guess what I'm after is some platform without sacrificing small bump response at low speed - is that possible?

PS. I had my Float forks fitted with the Push valving by Tim Flooks last year and I love it - great stuff.

Elitest thrill junkie
    A good idea about what YOU want is also important. Push can make a shock very plush and the suspension very compliant. They can also make your suspension a little less compliant and make your bike accellerate better and dive less due to more low speed compression damping. This would be like a "platform". These two things are at odds, so you must know your priorities, or you might end up with something that is the opposite of what you want. The upgrades that push has can improve performance across the board, but when you start getting into specifics (high speed traits, low speed traits, etc), you may not end up with what you want if you're not very specific about it when you talk to Push.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    I had my float on my 2003 Enduro, Push'd and didn't like it. I called and they talked me through what I was looking for and decided to increase the platorm. I sent it to them, and they blue labeled it back to me. I liked it much more and would do it again.

mtbr member
    Do you typically add much (or any?) platform to a VPP bike?
    No, due to the mechanical efficiency that the design offers. We also build the shock with a VPP specific valve characteristic to compliment the frame in the bumps.

Darren

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks Darren for the info. I will be in touch.

David

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

New question here.

Quote Originally Posted by PUSHIND
    No, due to the mechanical efficiency that the design offers. We also build the shock with a VPP specific valve characteristic to compliment the frame in the bumps.

Darren
    What would you do in the case of a 2003 GT Ruckus I-drive? I have a Fox Vanilla RC, I haven't figured out how to tune it completely, since I have some bounce when I go over bumps. How would it get tuned that my question, in terms of the platform upgrade or the Works upgrade.
    Anything worth doing is worth overdoing...

-Ricko, mtbr member

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Darren, does this apply for both types of Ventana linkage, linear and progressive rate?

Thanks,

-Sp

Quote Originally Posted by PUSHIND
    The Blur and Blur LT shocks rank in our top 5 most common shocks in for tuning.

drjos, as for your shock, yes we do struggle with the Ventana applications when using the stock air sleeve. The Ventana frames have very high starting leverage rates which easily over power base Propedal settings. The problem is when we increase the Propedal settings it effects the frames ability to get full travel. This is easily remedied by installing a high volume air sleeve which allows us to get you both characteristics. Firm Propedal settings to help with the "bob" and a much more linear air spring to allow the shock to still get full stroke.

As always, we strive to work with our customers to meet their expectations.

Darren

Sep 2004

I had an Rp3 Pushed and sold it on.

I had a Kona Dawg 05 with an RP3 (bear in mind i was coming from a coil) i had the RP3 pushed with a medium kit i still did not like it ..........I then got hold of a Swinger 4 way and loved it, all the adjustment made it possible to get the feel i just could not get in the Fox ......

The SPV shock suits me better ...i have a basic problem with the idea that a Fox shock needs a specilist tuning company and 90 of my cash to get the feel that i can get for free with the Swinger...just my 2 cents.

Members who have read this thread: 0