Got Parts? '08 36: TALAS Side Threaded Rod For Footnut Broken- Mtbr.com

Oct 2005

Got Parts? '08 36: TALAS Side Threaded Rod For Footnut Broken

In the process of removing the TALAS side footnut, the rod came off with it. I am considering now a conversion to a Float, once and for all, or to see if the cap the threaded rod is part of is independently replaceable. It's the gold rod at the end of the cart in the below photo:

I'm also assuming this cart isn't needed for the Float conversion?
    Last edited by Jerk_Chicken; 06-21-2009 at 09:01 AM. Reason: Changed the thread type so I can beg for spare parts

Oct 2005
    I had an idea to beg for parts if someone has a scrap fork or various spare parts, so here's the want ad:

http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showprod...?product=36223
    Last edited by Jerk_Chicken; 06-21-2009 at 09:00 AM.

mtbr member
    I believe I've got some Talas 36 parts left over from a previous Talas-Float conversion project. Shoot me a PM if you're interested.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I don't have any parts, sorry, but I'm curious about what happened there. Did the bolt pull out of the other half of the gold endcap assembly, or snap or something? I kinda assumed it was machined from one lump that bit. Could it be possible to drill/tap it out and throw a hex bolt through there?

Oct 2005
    Looks like the footnut seized to the stud, or the stud sustained some damage at some point. I loosened it, heard a click, then the bolt and stud piece came out together.

I have not explored the possibility of modifying it yet. I have thought of seeing if the endcap is removable and going from there, but at that point, i might as well just convert to float or get another talas part.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Bummer, hopefully someone has some parts.

Oct 2005
    Yep, even though it's something of a bummer, it could be a chance to convert to Float.

On the other hand, I swapped back to my backup fork (06 Z1 Light) that I kind of missed riding on. Felt fantastic today.

Oct 2005
    Is anyone able to comment on the degree of progressivity of the Float? It has to be mentioned I ran my TALAS with zero IFP pressure and was rewarded with an incredibly linear fork that rested high in travel under static conditions, controlled dive, but still allowed full travel, which I controlled using the hydraulic bottom out in the RC2 cart.

Oct 2005
    I might have a lead on the parts for a Float conversion, however the U-cup and the bottom nut are missing. I tried calling the Fox distributor out here, even sent a pic, and looks like I'm at a dead end. They don't seem to have an idea of what I'm talking about.

Anyone got part numbers, or even have these parts? It's the u-cup for the Float, along with a Float foot nut.

what's that rattle?
    Adjusting my headset three times per ride has made me suspicious that my 36 Talas bushings are shot! This has led to lots of surfing on the Fox service site but still no luck finding an installation tool...

The other bottom bolt thread and the Fox parts list makes it seem like the gold bit isn't replaceable on its own. They do have PNs for bolts and u-cup seals though:

241-01-014 Fastener, Custom: Bottom Nut, 07 X, Black Ano Type II, Class 2
    036-01-010 U-cup seal for inside of upper tube seal head
    036-01-020 Seals: U-Cup, 10mm Shaft
    036-01-022 36 TALAS IFP OD Seal and main piston seal (U-cup type)

Oct 2005
    It looks like the U-cup and the nut and washers are on the way now from the distro. They finally came through. I also have to wait on some other parts, such as the Float conversion parts, so it's getting a bit tense as I get closer to vacation. I mean, my Z1 Light is on there now, but I think for a 3-4 week long vacation, I'd want to bring the fork I know better.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    JC...please get a classified WANT ad for the parts (you know the want ads are free ) and link to it on your signature instead.....it really looks like spam as it is now...

Oct 2005
    I have a classified. Check post #2.

The link was to this thread so I can illustrate pictures and progress along the way.

I can understand the thought that this thread "really looks like spam now", however, it's been dead for two weeks now and I've been updating elsewhere. So it's baffling, and despite us being friendly outside the forum, it's not out of line to say that I'm baffled that you brought back a thread with the last post from two weeks ago, and then claim it looks like spam and I should take out an ad I already have.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    I have a classified. Check post #2.

The link was to this thread so I can illustrate pictures and progress along the way.

I can understand the thought that this thread "really looks like spam now", however, it's been dead for two weeks now and I've been updating elsewhere. So it's baffling, and despite us being friendly outside the forum, it's not out of line to say that I'm baffled that you brought back a thread with the last post from two weeks ago, and then claim it looks like spam and I should take out an ad I already have.
    My bad, man...I totally missed the link in post #2...(I came to the thread following your sig link from another post)

also, what I meant that "it looks like spam" is that when people look at your signature in other posts it might look spammy (since it does not point to the ad directly), I wasn't actually referring to this thread...probably me just being overzealous about it

Oct 2005
    No problem. Err on the side of getting it right. I'm still getting the Float configuration dialed in, which will probably be updated on the other thread, wherever that is. We rode in the Alps for the last week, with bases at 850m, now we're in Southern France, at sea level. While it feels fine, in practical riding, I have so far not been able to close in on full travel, so when I get back, I might take 10mm or so off the air shaft. I have already dropped air chamber fluid volume to about 2cc and saw an improvement just in that. However, I would like to be ale to use my hydraulic bottom out to control that, get a more linear stroke, and if I want more progressivity, I can raise the air chamber fluid level to possibly about 7cc.

Sounds nice...I hope you will give us a trip report full of pics.... have fun!!!!

as long as the fork is not acting up...I think you better leave the tinkering for when U get back home and have "better known conditions" for testing

Oct 2005
    Yeah, I brought my drill and my dremel, but I decided that things are fine, and I don't need to break things down irreversibly in Southern France, though I have my Z1 in the trunk

As far as 36 parts go, I'll always scavenge and hope that some kind bikers out there have something scrap and are willing to part with them for experimentation and other purposes so I can try and figure out some tuning and report back.

Members who have read this thread: 1