Going from Totem to Domain?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Going from Totem to Domain?

Bad idea?

I have the Totem on my Santa Cruz Nomad and it feels like a bit too much for me. The front end feels a bit too high for my likings and I'm looking for something with less travel.

The Domain 318 has the U-turn option and I'd really like to try something with adjustable travel. I know it has less travel (at the maxed setting), but how does it compare to the Totem? Is it better to go with the Lyric?

Or, is adjustable travel not the way to go? I've read a lot of problems about forks w/ this feature like the Fox Talas.

Any fork recomendations for the Nomad? I'm running the 08 version with a DHX coil in the rear. Looking for less travel and hopefully save some weight.

mtbr member
    If you want a reliable travel adjust system, IMO coil u-turn adjust on rockshox forks is the ONLY reliable travel adjust system on the market

Which pretty much gives you the option of a 318 domain coil u-turn or a lyrik coil u-turn.
    I have the lyrik on my kona bass and it is an awesome fork

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Anyone try both the Domain and Lyric coil u turn? how do they compare?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by JHANguyen
    Anyone try both the Domain and Lyric coil u turn? how do they compare?
    The actually u-turn system on the coil Domain and coil Lyric will work the same. The Lyric is a very capable fork.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bad mechanic
    The actually u-turn system on the coil Domain and coil Lyric will work the same. The Lyric is a very capable fork.
    Yeah, the Lyric is lighter and has better damping - Mission Control vs Motion Control?

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by JHANguyen
    Bad idea?

I have the Totem on my Santa Cruz Nomad and it feels like a bit too much for me. The front end feels a bit too high for my likings and I'm looking for something with less travel.

The Domain 318 has the U-turn option and I'd really like to try something with adjustable travel. I know it has less travel (at the maxed setting), but how does it compare to the Totem? Is it better to go with the Lyric?

Or, is adjustable travel not the way to go? I've read a lot of problems about forks w/ this feature like the Fox Talas.

Any fork recomendations for the Nomad? I'm running the 08 version with a DHX coil in the rear. Looking for less travel and hopefully save some weight.
    Is your Totem airsprung? If so, you can internally reduce the travel as low as 150mm. I think that the info is on the RS website.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by fsrxc
    Yeah, the Lyric is lighter and has better damping - Mission Control vs Motion Control?
    Mission Control and Motion Control are both very capable damping systems, and if you're talking about the vanilla Motion Control and not the Black Box, then Mission Control is a better system.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bad mechanic
    Mission Control and Motion Control are both very capable damping systems, and if you're talking about the vanilla Motion Control and not the Black Box, then Mission Control is a better system.
    Better or just more adjustable?

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by myarmisonfire
    Is your Totem airsprung? If so, you can internally reduce the travel as low as 150mm. I think that the info is on the RS website.
    Actually you can reduce it down as far as you like, however keep in mind that RS does not endorse or support the idea. Initially when the Solo Air was released RS was on board with the idea and even had a spacer kit, however they have since rethought the idea. I have lowered mine to 160mm and have seen some as low as 90, you can make your own spacer out of PVC.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dascro
    Better or just more adjustable?
    Better. Mission Control has a shimmed rebound circuit, while the standard Motion Control has a port orifice rebound circuit. Mission Control also has a shimmed compression stack once the floodgate opens, but it's debatable if that's useful.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    My Totem is coil unfortunately.

I'm trying to decide between a uturn Domain and Lyric. I don't mind the extra weight of the Domain, but does the Lyric ride much nicer?

Members who have read this thread: 0