Giant Reign shock options- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Giant Reign shock options

I have a Giant Reign and really not too psyched with the 3way Swinger. Looking to replace it with something else...would prefer maybe a DHX Air or a Fox RC which would be PUSH'd. With the basket thing near the BB that envelopes the shock, clearence is going to be limited. Anyone successfully run any other shocks on a Reign?
    rise above

Jun 2003

What size is it?

Quote Originally Posted by auntesther
    I have a Giant Reign and really not too psyched with the 3way Swinger. Looking to replace it with something else...would prefer maybe a DHX Air or a Fox RC which would be PUSH'd. With the basket thing near the BB that envelopes the shock, clearence is going to be limited. Anyone successfully run any other shocks on a Reign?
    I doubt that any piggyback shocks will fit. You may be able to run a 5th coil with a remote resivoir.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by damion
    I doubt that any piggyback shocks will fit. You may be able to run a 5th coil with a remote resivoir.
    I think its a 7.875 x 2 or 2.25.

The basket cage thing on the frame does have some room...I think the biggest issue will be srping width. Thats why I was thinking a Fox RC might ber the trick...smaller OD spring than some of the newer shocks. Not sure a remote reservoir shock would work because it looks like routing the resevoir hose would be tough with that basket thing
    rise above

Jun 2003

Fox it is.

The basket cage thing on the frame does have some room...I think the biggest issue will be srping width. Thats why I was thinking a Fox RC might ber the trick...smaller OD spring than some of the newer shocks. Not sure a remote reservoir shock would work because it looks like routing the resevoir hose would be tough with that basket thing

Does someone you ride with run a shock that size? If so, unbolt it and see if it will fit. Take off the spring, and cycle the suspension to see if the piggyback clears the movement of the swingarm.

TNC
    noMAD man

Fox RC & DHX springs.

I'm pretty sure these are the same springs. I'm running 2.8 length springs from my Fox RC shocks on my DHX shocks. They appear identical to the springs that came on my DHX as far as dimensions go. The body of the RC has smaller dimensions in some areas that a DHX, and certainly the piggyback would present less problems. Maybe a PUSHed RC would make a good fit if the coil clears.

"El Whatever"
    Maybe the RC with the reservoir facing to the rear wheel. Either upsidedown or normal, but maybe it fits.

Maybe a Fox Vanilla Pushed??

A 5th Element with the remote reservoir or even an Avalanche with remote reservoir too... nowadays, the Avvys don't look that expensive anymore.
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp2003
    Maybe the RC with the reservoir facing to the rear wheel. Either upsidedown or normal, but maybe it fits.

Maybe a Fox Vanilla Pushed??

A 5th Element with the remote reservoir or even an Avalanche with remote reservoir too... nowadays, the Avvys don't look that expensive anymore.
    yeah in staring at the bike, the shock reservoir down and to the rear is how I think it might fit. I am trying to hunt down an RC that I can just place inside the frame to check for clearence.
    wanna try and avoid the plain Vanilla. I want something with as much oil volume as I can get
    rise above

Motion activated
    No dice with the Fox RC. I had an old one laying around with the correct I2I but it doesn't fit - it *almost* fits but the only way the shock will bolt onto the frame is with reservoir facing forward and up, but of course it's going to hit the down tube when you use more than 3" of travel.

FYI the spring (400 inch/lb IIRC) does fit in the basket but it was a tight fit, I'd image a heaver spring might not clear. The pre-load collar would only fit in the basket at its widest points.
    Happiness is a warm 2 stroke.

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve71
    No dice with the Fox RC. I had an old one laying around with the correct I2I but it doesn't fit - it *almost* fits but the only way the shock will bolt onto the frame is with reservoir facing forward and up, but of course it's going to hit the down tube when you use more than 3" of travel.

FYI the spring (400 inch/lb IIRC) does fit in the basket but it was a tight fit, I'd image a heaver spring might not clear. The pre-load collar would only fit in the basket at its widest points.
    Vanilla R, Pushed..... if it's tuned for you, why would you want more? I'm not trying to be a jerk, but I'd do it. It's an economical option too.
    Check my Site

Motion activated
    Since I already had an RC lying around, that would be the most economical option for me . Buy seriously I thought the RC had a larger oil volume and as such would be more resistant to fading.

Anyway I just got the bike so I'm not looking for another shock (yet). I just though I'd answer this guys question as to weather it would fit. But like you say, a Vanilla R should work just fine provided that PUSH can add some bottom out resistance. The 3-way bottoms pretty easy and a coil would be more linear (yes/no?)... I wish the DHX-A would fit... but a pushed rp3 isn't a bad second choice.
    Happiness is a warm 2 stroke.

Jun 2003

Remote piggyback?

What about a 5th coil or a Swinger Coil with a remote piggyback on the frame?

Members who have read this thread: 0