G2 geometry fork on non g2 geometry bike?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2009

G2 geometry fork on non g2 geometry bike?

Would a G2 geometry fork work on a non G2 bike?

CTB
    mtbr member
    Would it work, yes. The question is exactly what would it do. The G2 forks essentially decrease the trail the fork has for a given head angle. Having less trail would speed up initial response to the steering, so if you put a G2 fork onto something with a racy head angle (like 71 degrees), it might end up being a very twitchy bike, and possibly will have greater kickback at the bars during higher-speed bumps, etc. G2 frames are designed from the outset to work with this reduced trail, so it works fine on those bikes. Note their 69.7 head angles, and compare that to whatever bike you'd like to try a G2 fork on.

Installing a G2 fork on a non-G2 bike will also increase the wheelbase slightly because the front axle is pushed forward relative to the steer tube. I'm guessing that the reduced trail will have a bigger effect on the handling (making it quicker/twitchy) than the increase in wheelbase will have (which would work to slow the bike down slightly). Again, G2 bikes are designed with shorter top tubes to maintain the wheelbase but decrease the trail.

This picture at Fisher's site is probably the best thing to examine when thinking about this. The key is that instead of the head tube coming back, like it does in their "before/after" animation, on your bike the head tube will stay in place and the front wheel will move forward. The trail will decrease in the same manner shown at this link (down below the video):

http://fisherbikes.com/bike/series/hifi/tech/1

pvd
    mtbr member
    As a framebuilder, I can say definately that it depends. I'd honestly have to measure a bunch of stuff to know for sure. That's the only way to know.

Jun 2009

New question here. G2 Fork

So what would be the result of running a non G2 fork on a G2 frame? I have been quite curious....

CTB
    mtbr member
    Pretty much the opposite of the above - slightly shorter wheelbase, greater trail, with the greater trail giving slightly slower initial response. Thinking about it, the head angle would also increase very slightly since the decreased crown offset works to raise the front end slightly.

Members who have read this thread: 0