Front Shock for kids 26" bike?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Front Shock for kids 26" bike?

I'm building a 26" bike for my 11yr old and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for a front shock in the $100 range. I've been checking ebay for the last few months and any used shock with air has been going for about $170 shipped. He's a fast XC rider and we do technical singletrack, he only weighs about 77lbs the max weight the fork will ever see will probably be about 150lbs.

If it matters here's the build info for the bike:

Sette Reken Alloy Hardtail Frame 14"
    Truvativ Hussefelt 2.2 RG Crankset 2011 170mm RockGuard-32-22
    Truvativ Howitzer Team Bottom Bracket 2011 68/73 x 51mm
    Avid BB7 Mech Disc Brake Grey Fnt/Rer 2011 160mm
    Easton Stem/Bar Adaptor 31.8 to 25.4
    Cane Creek 10 Traditional Headset
    Cane Creek Zonos Wheelset
    If you're not falling, then you're not riding fast enough!
    Specialized Epic Expert Evo
    Ibex Asta Pro SE & Giant XTC-2

Former Bike Wrench
    Look for an early to mid 00's SID XC

2001 Rock Shox SID XC 80mm | eBay

mtbr member
    You might also want to consider an older Manitou R7 or Black if you can find one cheap. On your build, I would also consider changing the cranks to 165mm for an 11 year old. Just a thought though.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by RSabarese View Post
    You might also want to consider an older Manitou R7 or Black if you can find one cheap. On your build, I would also consider changing the cranks to 165mm for an 11 year old. Just a thought though.
    Thanks, yeah I should measure the cranks currently on his 24" bike because they fit him good now, although he's starting to shoot up like a weed so I'll need to consider that. I am looking at 2 Manitou forks one is an R7 and the other I can get new is an 04 Manitou Axel Elite, that goes for about $80 shipped.

mtbr member
    I have an 08 R7 Absolute on my son's 14" Reken (I built 24" wheels since he's 8 1/2). He is running a 152MM crankset up from a 140 a year ago. His next upgrade in a year or so will be 165mm. The Axel is/was a low end fork, Bikewagon has it and it will work, but be heavy. The R7 is 3.3 lb, I'd guess 1.5 lbs lighter but may cost more. Here is a photo:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Front Shock for kids 26" bike?-posted-pic-1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    What!!!

No Marzocchi recommendations?? The air-oil forks from 10+ years ago are a bargain and work great. Rebuild kits still available too!

Given your kid is still super-light, you can get an air-oil fork dialed in for his weight.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    That's a nice build. About 4 years ago when my kid was 7 he needed a 24" wheeled bike like that but I ended up getting a sweet deal on a 24" used Ibex Alpine 440 for $75 shipped to me. It only needed a tune up.

On that bike what crankset, bottom bracket and size stem are you using? My son is 58" tall with a 27.5" bike inseam. I was planning on trying a cheap 90mm stem and go from there.

mtbr member
    In the photo, it was a Truvativ ISOFlow that was shortened to 140MM. He is now using a 152mm crank Lasco from Utah Trikes and a 113mm square taper bb.
    The stem is a 50MM from BlueSky cycling, approx $12 with 31.8 o/s handlebars. My son is approx 53/54" tall now.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    In the photo, it was a Truvativ ISOFlow that was shortened to 140MM. He is now using a 152mm crank Lasco from Utah Trikes and a 113mm square taper bb.
    The stem is a 50MM from BlueSky cycling, approx $12 with 31.8 o/s handlebars. My son is approx 53/54" tall now.
    Are there any 165mm cranksets at Pricepoint you would recommend?

mtbr member
    All of the one below are 165mm, but I would not consider them "light".

Here is a decent crank/bb:
    FSA GRAVITY LIGHT CRANKSET, 22/32/BASH - 165MM MEGAEXO, CK-9160PST-68/73MM | eBay

There is also this one from universal it is not real light. You would need an ISIS BB. Most 165MM cranks I see are DH specific meaning not cheap and not light. My wife is using these in 170mm and they have been good.
    Universal Cycles -- Gravity Step Up Crankset
    Truvativ Giga Pipe Team SL Bottom Bracket 2011 at Price Point

Or, buy from this guy, he has 160/165mm ISOFlows, then you just need a 113mm square taper BB:
    Truvativ IsoFlow 175mm MTB crankarms Shortened to 153mm
    Shimano UN-73 Bottom Bracket > Components > Drivetrain > Bottom Brackets | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    All of the one below are 165mm, but I would not consider them "light".

Here is a decent crank/bb:
    FSA GRAVITY LIGHT CRANKSET, 22/32/BASH - 165MM MEGAEXO, CK-9160PST-68/73MM | eBay

There is also this one from universal it is not real light. You would need an ISIS BB. Most 165MM cranks I see are DH specific meaning not cheap and not light. My wife is using these in 170mm and they have been good.
    Universal Cycles -- Gravity Step Up Crankset
    Truvativ Giga Pipe Team SL Bottom Bracket 2011 at Price Point

Or, buy from this guy, he has 160/165mm ISOFlows, then you just need a 113mm square taper BB:
    Truvativ IsoFlow 175mm MTB crankarms Shortened to 153mm
    Shimano UN-73 Bottom Bracket > Components > Drivetrain > Bottom Brackets | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

Thanks for the hint on the crankset length, I thought 170 would be fine for him but then when I got home I measured the cranks on his 24" and they are only 160mm. I just ordered the FSA Gravity Light for his weight size and riding style they should be fine. Now hopefully one of the forks I'm looking at on ebay will pan out.

mtbr member
    I am building a bike for daughter, found a free Schwinn Moab frame and a RS Judy XC with the oil dampening and springs in both legs. Its setup REALLY light which is good for her as she's about the same as your son - 75lbs age 12. You can also replace springs as he gets more weight. There are other forks that work obviously, but this one happens to work well for lightweights. Its not long travel, but good for hard tail of this era. Its also easy to rebuild, I did a quick tear down and clean out.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by dirkdaddy View Post
    I am building a bike for daughter, found a free Schwinn Moab frame and a RS Judy XC with the oil dampening and springs in both legs. Its setup REALLY light which is good for her as she's about the same as your son - 75lbs age 12. You can also replace springs as he gets more weight. There are other forks that work obviously, but this one happens to work well for lightweights. Its not long travel, but good for hard tail of this era. Its also easy to rebuild, I did a quick tear down and clean out.
    Do realize this is over a year old?
    Ripley LS v3
    OG Ripley v2 handed down to son

Members who have read this thread: 1