freeride/all mountain shock?- Mtbr.com

Jun 2006

freeride/all mountain shock?

I was wondering if i could get some opinions on a good freeride/all mountain shock that doesnt cost an arm and a leg. thanks

I CAN ALWAYS GO BIGGER
    Get a DHX or DHX coil depending on the bike.Pro Pedal is a great feature that comes with both.DHX coil is around $400 and I dont know the price on the air

Jun 2003

What is an arm and a leg?

YOu get what you pay for.

Jun 2006
    no more than 400

Jun 2003

More info.

What frame, shock length and stroke.

For 400, you can do a lot.
    Find a used Fox Vanilla RC for cheap and have it rebuilt and re-valved for YOU werks style at push. www.pushindustries.com

Jun 2006
    i was thinking of doing that exact thing, i even found one on ebay that has already been "pushed" for very close to my weight. it is going on a diamondback xts 3. it came stock with a 6.5" rockshox deluxe(crap). anyone think a 7.875" fox anything(float or vanilla) will fit? and can i just compress the shock a bit apon mounting? please help...thanks

MattSavage
    Quote Originally Posted by adens13
    i was thinking of doing that exact thing, i even found one on ebay that has already been "pushed" for very close to my weight. it is going on a diamondback xts 3. it came stock with a 6.5" rockshox deluxe(crap). anyone think a 7.875" fox anything(float or vanilla) will fit? and can i just compress the shock a bit apon mounting? please help...thanks

No, that won't work. It'll screw everything up, geometry, leverage ratios, your rear tire will probably hit the seat tube, possibly crack your frame from increased leverage. Don't even entertain the thought.

Get a Manitou Swinger 3way coil. You can get them for under 300 new and will blow away a Fox. Or even an old Fox Vanilla will be better than the RockShox.

Stick with correct i2i and stroke lengths...
    "I wrote a hit play! What have you ever done?!"

Have Ashtray, Will Travel....

Jun 2006
    i figured that might be the case, a manitou swinger 3-way is 6.5" i2i? also, do they make the vanilla in 6.5? thanks for the advice

mtbr member
    You can pretty much find any shock you want in varying iui lengths, just check the manufacturers site if you're unsure they list the different lengths available.

i figured that might be the case, a manitou swinger 3-way is 6.5" i2i? also, do they make the vanilla in 6.5? thanks for the advice
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

MattSavage

here, check this out...

http://www.blueskycycling.com/view_product.php?pid=1433

http://aebike.com/page.cfm?action=de...=30&SKU=RS5004

The swinger might not include hardware or a spring, so it'll come out about 50 bucks more, but worth it!
    "I wrote a hit play! What have you ever done?!"

Have Ashtray, Will Travel....

Jun 2006
    thanks

Members who have read this thread: 0