Fox Vanilla vs. Float- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Fox Vanilla vs. Float

I would appreciate feedback from individuals that have owned/tried both the Fox Vanilla and Float forks. I have a relatively light 5" travel trail bike and am using a Float Talas. I never change the travel and am planning on switching to a set travel Vanilla or Float. I have been using air shocks since the original RS Sid but hear lots of good things about the Vanilla. Starting to think an extra 1/2 pound of non-rotating weight may be a worthy compromise for a better shock. Appreciate opinions on noticeable differences between the two. Also, I will not be changing the Float rear shock which may or may not be an issue with a coil shock up front. Thanks.
    Last edited by truberski; 11-14-2005 at 01:26 PM.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Why switch forks?

Quote Originally Posted by truberski
    I would appreciate feedback from individuals that have owned/tried both the Fox Vanilla and Float forks. I have a relatively light 5" travel trail bike and am using a Float Talas. I never change the travel and am planning on switching to a set travel Vanilla or Float. I have been using air shocks since the original RS Sid but hear lots of good things about the Vanilla. Starting to think an extra 1/2 pound of non-rotating weight may be a worthy compromise for a better shock. Appreciate opinions on noticeable differences between the two. Also, I will not be changing the Float rear shock which may or may not be an issue with a coil shock up front. Thanks.
    The Vanilla will be a bit smoother while the Float is more adjustable. End of story. The Talas is every bit as good, if not better, a fork then either the Vanilla or Float. Why the need for a switch? The difference in ride between these forks is there but you own a great fork.

Jaybo
    Last edited by Jaybo; 11-14-2005 at 06:32 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    The "shoulder season" where I live (not enough snow to ski and lots of mud on the trails) and luke warm opinion on my Talas has led to my current fork pondering. I have the Talas R so Push is not a real option and I like the fork but am not crazy about it. My 100 mm RS Reba felt more plush and I am only getting 4" of the supposed 5" of travel. I may need to do more fork adjustments but there is not much to play with on the R model.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Might want to look at another fork than....

The "shoulder season" where I live (not enough snow to ski and lots of mud on the trails) and luke warm opinion on my Talas has led to my current fork pondering. I have the Talas R so Push is not a real option and I like the fork but am not crazy about it. My 100 mm RS Reba felt more plush and I am only getting 4" of the supposed 5" of travel. I may need to do more fork adjustments but there is not much to play with on the R model.
    You might want to look at RS Revelation. Something is wrong if you can't get full travel from a Talas. Werid. That should be a function of letting some air out. I just don't think a Float is going to be a better fork. I'm also not convinced a Vanilla is going to be a revolutionary upgrade.

Jaybo

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Thanks Jaybo! My local bike shop agreed something is up with the travel and they offered to take it apart for me. I am going to let them have at it once the riding season is officially over. The shop mechanic said it felt like there was too much oil in the fork.

Elitest thrill junkie
    I would rate the forks from most progressive to most linear;

Fox Float.

Fox Vanilla.

Fox Talas.

I have used all of them, and I feel the vanilla is the best tradeoff with enough progressiveness for most riding situations, while retaining enough sag and soft initial travel to make all of the small bumps dissapear. The difference with the talas is that it does this, but lacks performance on the bigger bumps where it blows through the travel. The talas initially impressed me as it was the closest thing to a coil fork that I'd ever felt (in an air shock). The initial impression was not supported by riding it at speed, it is difficult to set up and not have it blow through the travel. The tradeoff to not having it blow through the travel is that it gets to be oversprung and a little harsh. There isn't much in between. The float on the other hand isn't nearly as soft over the small stuff, but better resists blowing through the travel. It's more of a firm "XC" ride, although that doesn't mean that it cant handle some trail use. It's just a different feel and when you get on really fast rocky and choppy sections, it tends to feel a little too progresive and therefore harsh because it doesn't have that soft initial travel.

Other than that, all the R, RL, RLC etc versions all have the same basic damping, it's just that you get more tuning options for the compression damping, but the basic damper design is the same, so depending on how you ride, it could be a benefit or completely useless to get the higher end "RLC" model.

In your situation, I'd probably go with the vanilla, it's really not much heavier than the talas, which is itself over 4lbs. It's hard to go wrong with a vanilla, and the quality of travel is the best out of the three lines IMO.....still.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member

setting it up

I have the 04 Vanilla on my ss and I'm running a 03 Talas on my Turner fs, and there is plenty of plushness on both,but my favorite for all things considered is the Talas. Maybe not exactly a coil feel,but the feel I get is better then a coil to me. I played around with the settings for about 9 months till I found what I feel is the perfect setting and occasionally I have to still make small adjustments,but this is true with almost all forks.I've ran about five different current forks and nothing compares to the Talas as far as I'm concerned.But everybody has different preferences.
    I may not be as good as I once was.
    But I'm as good once, as I ever was.
    Toby Keith

Members who have read this thread: 2