Fox Vanilla Spring Death Rattle- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Fox Vanilla Spring Death Rattle

Probably been done to death, but a search turned up nothing, so I'm wondering if anybody has a simple solution to a rattling spring in a Vanilla 32 RLC.

It's the new 2007 140 mm version, and I noticed that the spring doesn't have any rubber sleeves on it like the spring from my 36 Vanilla, which rattles a bit, but not nearly as much as its "little brother".

Everything else about the fork rocks, so I'm hoping for a "shade tree mechanic" genius solution.

Calling Fox tomorrow, but frankly, I expect a lot more ideas from this forum than from the manufacturer. Thanks!
    Whining is not a strategy.

Old man on a bike
    When I got my 36Van the spring rattle was driving me nuts, took it out and saw there was some shrink tubing at the top of the spring and after asking around/looking into it apparently mid spring is a better location. Borrowed a heat gun, bought some shrink tubing at Fry's and problem pretty much solved. I used 1.5" shrink tubing with a 2:1 shrink ratio if I remember correctly, you might be able to use something smaller with the 32 maybe.
    Last edited by Bikinfoolferlife; 07-12-2006 at 11:05 PM.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

DGC
    mtbr member

heat shrink wrap

Quote Originally Posted by kosmo
    Probably been done to death, but a search turned up nothing, so I'm wondering if anybody has a simple solution to a rattling spring in a Vanilla 32 RLC.

It's the new 2007 140 mm version, and I noticed that the spring doesn't have any rubber sleeves on it like the spring from my 36 Vanilla, which rattles a bit, but not nearly as much as its "little brother".

Everything else about the fork rocks, so I'm hoping for a "shade tree mechanic" genius solution.

Calling Fox tomorrow, but frankly, I expect a lot more ideas from this forum than from the manufacturer. Thanks!
    Heat shrink wrap is what Fox uses on the older 32mm Vanilla forx of 130mm etc. I had put an extra one ontop of my springs in the past, and being sure the stock one was in the middle of the spring-it finally ran quiet. As far as 2007 goes, not sure what is going on in there, have not seen one yet, but I would be surprised if there was no spring condom on the 07's.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    OUCH...!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DGC
    Heat shrink wrap is what Fox uses on the older 32mm Vanilla forx of 130mm etc. I had put an extra one ontop of my springs in the past, and being sure the stock one was in the middle of the spring-it finally ran quiet. As far as 2007 goes, not sure what is going on in there, have not seen one yet, but I would be surprised if there was no spring condom on the 07's.
    Yeah, it kind of surprised me that there was no wrap on any of the three springs they include with the fork.

Any specific suggestion of type of wrap, and where to get it? Not something I'm familiar with.

Thanks.

Old man on a bike
    I ordered thru Fry's Electronics via their website. There's been some posts regarding shrink tubing for chainstay protectors, seems to me there were a couple other suggestions there if you search.
    suum quique

DGC
    mtbr member

some info

Quote Originally Posted by kosmo
    Yeah, it kind of surprised me that there was no wrap on any of the three springs they include with the fork.

Any specific suggestion of type of wrap, and where to get it? Not something I'm familiar with.

Thanks.
    I had been suggested to try fry's as well a few years ago when i was doing this. Just before ordering it from them, I called Fox one last time, and they sent me a hand full of their own shrink wrap for the Vanilla springs back then, which then you know it is the exact stuff they use on their forx and it would obviously fit and work correctly. So I never got to try Fry's.
    I had at one time when a spacer went ontop of the spring, I had shrink wrapped the spacer to the top of the spring so neither could be making noise either, along with the stock wrap in the middle of the spring. I wonder if you got any kind of answer from Fox yet?
    My Pike has been quite good since last fall.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    OUCH...!!!!!!

Old man on a bike
    This thread jinxed me, today's rough descent yielded spring rattle once again. I pulled it out and it had moved to the top of the spring. I guess I didn't shrink the shrink tubing enough or used too large a diameter; it seemed pretty taut when I first shrunk it tho...maybe I'll call Fox and get their stuff for the next round when I get back home.
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    So, the only stuff I could find locally (small town) was some 3M stuff that looked pretty burly and great.

Put two sections on the spring -- looked bomber.

Too bomber! So thick, the spring wouldn't go in.

Guess I'll actually have to call Fox and be put on hold for a day or two and beg for some of their thin stuff!

Members who have read this thread: 0