Fox Vanilla Forx - noise coming from damper knob... anyone?- Mtbr.com

Jan 2004

No good Fox Vanilla Forx - noise coming from damper knob... anyone?

I've kept a close eye on the many threads regading the Fox "clunk" and various fixes. I have a Vanilla fork that has made a clunking noise for quite a while - but I am not sure if it is the same noise as everyone else. It is most noticable on a series of fast stutter bumps.

Anyways, I think that I found what is causing it. There is a small amount of vertical play in the red rebound damper knob. Basically when you push down on the fork, the rebound knob moves up about 0.5 to 1 mm. When you release, and the fork rebounds, the knob comes back down and makes contact, resulting in a knocking sound.

My query for you is, has anyone else noticed this problem? If so, how did you fix it? Anyone else - if you have any ideas on how to fix it, let 'em rip!

If I am standing over the bike and give the fork a quick push down then release, I can see the red adjuster move, and hear it make noise upon release. If I stop the cap from moving upon compression - just by holding it down with my hand - there is no noise.

I am planning to tear it down and try to figure it out this weekend... any ideas?

My fork is a plain old Vanilla R set at 105mm, it is the older model - I can't remember what year they came out, but this was the first year.

----

Edit: I could not resist taking that top cap off just to make sure that it was the problem. Well, it appears that it is somewhere in the damper itself that has the movement and noise - it still makes the noise w/o the red damper knob. And, if I hold the damper down by hand, the noise goes away. There must be some play somewhere in the damper...
    Last edited by frank n. beans; 03-11-2004 at 12:57 PM.

Do It Yourself

That's a different problem...

You have the top cap pop up issue. Not as bad as mine (popped up about 1/2" and squirted oil) but not good nonetheless. There is a small screw at the bottom of the shaft the red knob is attached to that holds it down. You need to take the damper apart and tighten it. Below is a link to a post I did a while ago that details taking the damper apart.

http://forums13.consumerreview.com/[email protected]

I started to do more of a write up with pics but I don't think it was posted. I have that at home if you're interested.

Jan 2004
    Wonderful, thanks. I really appreciate having that info.

I always wondered what goes on inside of the damper cartidge. Looks like I finally have a reason to tear it apart.

Thanks again!

just along for the ride
    That was an easy fix, my 03 125 R broke it at about 120 miles and now no noise even when I use to top out on hard uphill grinds. Seems a lot of the noise issue was just people not breaking in their stuff. Did notice the seals were way tigher than Zokes, still an excellent tracking fork, no flex and goes where its pointed.

Do It Yourself
    If you still want the pics on disassembling the damper, drop me an email.

cmclunn atHOTMAILdot com

Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Homebrew
    If you still want the pics on disassembling the damper, drop me an email.

cmclunn atHOTMAILdot com
    Thanks, but I managed to get it all apart (and reassembled) last weekend. Reading about the details certainly helped - knowing what to expect anyways. I will add - disassembly of the big damper cartridge tube - holy cromoly that thing was tight. I ended up clamping the proper size wrench in a vise, and then used the kitchen jar opener rubber thingy plus wearing a pair of bike gloves technique to grab onto the damper cartridge and spin it free. Wearing gloves plus the kitchen jar opened made it a lot easier to get a solid grip on the cartridge.

I still have noise and movement though - but I really think it is coming from play in the pumping rod, where it connects to the aluminum end pieces. I do not know what they are called, but there is a lot of movement, on the damper side on my fork.

I think this post is close to what I am experiencing...
    http://forums13.consumerreview.com/[email protected]/2

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by frank n. beans

I still have noise and movement though - but I really think it is coming from play in the pumping rod, where it connects to the aluminum end pieces. I do not know what they are called, but there is a lot of movement, on the damper side on my fork.
    I had a same knock as frank n. beans when you bounce the front wheel .Took apart dampen rod and the rod where it connects to the aluminum end pieces is loose (top is really loose)
    Can you tighten these up ,looks like it is crimped.
    The piece is the shaft in the pic
    https://www.velocycle.com/images/pro...820-04-042.jpg