Fox RP3 vrs. '05 Float?- Mtbr.com
    Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Fox RP3 vrs. '05 Float?

I can buy an '05 Fox RP3 for $340 or a '05 Fox Float from Push for $375. The Float I get the Push treatment while the RP3 would be stock. Push does provide titanium bolts and nuts for that price.

I'm considering both options. The stock Fox would come with a year warranty while the Push'd shock comes with a 90 day warranty.

I'm thinking a wise move might be to ride the stock shock for a year and have it Push'd near the end of the warranty. I'm also not sure if the performance gains would justify the added expense.

Any reason to go Push'd for an '05 Fox shock? The Push'd RP3 is a cost prohibitive $495. Ouch.

Thanks,

Jay

PS The stock '05 Fox Float is $235. Another good option.

Bodhisattva
    PUSH'd Float.

As you already know, I've ridden both the RP3 & own a PUSH'd Float and prefer the PUSH by a landslide.
    I only played with the RP3's propedal settings once or twice the month I rode it because it just felt right on "plush" so I didn't see the need to spend the extra cash for that feature. Otherwise they are the same shock.
    Keep in mind that I am extrapolating from my experience on the Hammerhead and you may find the adjustable platform to be a more usable feature on your Spot.

I wouldn't worry too much about that 90 day warranty. If something were to go wrong, it will in all likelihood occur early and I have faith that Darren would take care of it if a problem occurs after 90 days due to reasonable reasons.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Good advice.

Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel
    PUSH'd Float.

As you already know, I've ridden both the RP3 & own a PUSH'd Float and prefer the PUSH by a landslide.
    I only played with the RP3's propedal settings once or twice the month I rode it because it just felt right on "plush" so I didn't see the need to spend the extra cash for that feature. Otherwise they are the same shock.
    Keep in mind that I am extrapolating from my experience on the Hammerhead and you may find the adjustable platform to be a more usable feature on your Spot.

I wouldn't worry too much about that 90 day warranty. If something were to go wrong, it will in all likelihood occur early and I have faith that Darren would take care of it if a problem occurs after 90 days due to reasonable reasons.
    However, you did do your testing on an inferior bike. Laugh. Joshing ya.

I'm not sure why I would need a heavy compression dampening on a 4-bar bike that does't bob much even with my Romic. I bet a plain old non platform Vanilla would work well on that bike. However, I was thinking the RP3 might have other features worth stepping up to. I guess not.

Jaybo

Bodhisattva
    No difference between the new Float & RP3 other than the platform.

Do It Yourself
    I would much rather have the Push'ed Float R over the RP3, any day of the week. Their latest piston design is the stuff dreams are made of.
    Long Live Long Rides

Bodhisattva
    Yeah, the new piston is AWESOME.

Not dead yet, just playin
    Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel
    Yeah, the new piston is AWESOME.
    Is it correct to assume that the "new piston" is being used now?

op
    www.msmtb.org - Mississippi Mountain Biking

Bodhisattva
    I don't know if it's yet available for the masses....
    I "hear" that the prototype is incredible, but that those who have used it have sworn an oath of secrecy. Theoretically speaking, of course....

Mar 2004

Push...?

How do I get in contact with these folks? Do they have a website?

Thanks.

Bodhisattva
    www.pushindustries.com

The website is currently a bit sparse and has only the essential information. Give them a call for more thorough info.

jrm
    mtbr member

The diff

Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo
    I can buy an '05 Fox RP3 for $340 or a '05 Fox Float from Push for $375. The Float I get the Push treatment while the RP3 would be stock. Push does provide titanium bolts and nuts for that price.

I'm considering both options. The stock Fox would come with a year warranty while the Push'd shock comes with a 90 day warranty.

I'm thinking a wise move might be to ride the stock shock for a year and have it Push'd near the end of the warranty. I'm also not sure if the performance gains would justify the added expense.

Any reason to go Push'd for an '05 Fox shock? The Push'd RP3 is a cost prohibitive $495. Ouch.

Thanks,

Jay

PS The stock '05 Fox Float is $235. Another good option.
    Of course is goign to be the adjustability of the RP 3. I think the Floats platform is equivalent to the "O" setting on the RP 3. For me i use my RP 3 in the "-" all the time and havent changed it since i mounted it on the 5 spot.

mtbr member

New piston

However, you did do your testing on an inferior bike. Laugh. Joshing ya.

I'm not sure why I would need a heavy compression dampening on a 4-bar bike that does't bob much even with my Romic. I bet a plain old non platform Vanilla would work well on that bike. However, I was thinking the RP3 might have other features worth stepping up to. I guess not.

Jaybo
    Good to know that people still prefer push to RP3: question "will the new piston mods" be available for old AVAs or FLOAT shocks as well (I am hunting for an old FOX on e-bay).

PS Jaybo: sorry to contraddict you but the 5-spot would not work well with a non-platform shock. I had a Fox Float for a while on the bike and as expexted you could just forget about stading on the bike and climb with efficiency ... the Romic is a different story. In my opinion and experience a platform shock is really needed on a 5" horst (or 4-bars or .. anything that is not a VPP or DW)
    Last edited by Davide; 12-31-2004 at 08:39 PM.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

I pretty back out my Romic compression dampening....

Quote Originally Posted by Davide
    Good to know that people still prefer push to RP3: question "will the new piston mods" be available for old AVAs or FLOAT shocks as well (I am hunting for an old FOX on e-bay).

PS Jaybo: sorry to contraddict you but the 5-spot would not work well with a non-platform shock. I had a Fox Float for a while on the bike and as expexted you could just forget about stading on the bike and climb with efficiency ... the Romic is a different story. In my opinion and experience a platform shock is really needed on a 5" horst (or 4-bars or .. anything that is not a VPP or DW)
    However, it sounds like you have some experience with a non platform shock on the Spot. That surprises me because I back out my platform knob. I want the bike as active as possible. I'm wondering if the new Fox is smoother than the Romic. I hear it is. Not sure.

Jaybo

Not just famous; infamous

Cool-blue Rhythm All hail the search function

I was going to ask this question, but I'm glad I searched first...didn't bring my flame suit

Glad to hear the Pushed Float's the better choice. Keep seeing this RP3 threads asking about strange noises and lost air. Ahhh...new technology.

Any new reports from Pushland on the "ready-made" shocks?

DGC
    mtbr member

Vanilla RC

However, it sounds like you have some experience with a non platform shock on the Spot. That surprises me because I back out my platform knob. I want the bike as active as possible. I'm wondering if the new Fox is smoother than the Romic. I hear it is. Not sure.

Jaybo
    I still have a Vanilla RC in my corral of shocks. It is a stocker, non pro pedal, and it has not been PUSHed. On the successive choppy high speed stuff, it equals the DHX with the DHX set at minimum psi. setting and run without PP. Now that is decending or cruising fast. But when it comes to woops, dips, climbs, the DHX on the same setting has more mid stroke control, and a little less wallow. And of course as you would expect, the DHX will just get better from there as you increase PP and bottom out on the same terrain. The Vanilla RC even with the smoothest pedal stroke and lack of body movement, still bobs. You can........get it to be minimal, but it takes a lot of focus and effort to keep the bobbing to a minimal degree. Platform valving does help a lot in the bob department, the DHX so far seems to be about the best of plushness and have the bob under control at the same time, at least of the shocks that I have ridden.
    Now the Romic vs. the RP3 is a close one on the small stuff at slow speed I would say they are at least equal, but as speed picks up, or the trail becomes more loaded with choppy embeded rocks, the Romic tends to be smoother.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    OUCH...!!!!!!

mtbr member

Jaybo
    It is as usual very hard to compare settings: there is the difference in body weight ( I am now 148), tires, tires pressure, fork, and the terrrain one goes through: 2 clicks for you are different than 2 clicks for me ...

I am now using the ROMIC (with 450 titanium spring) with 4-6 clicks of platform dial which makes a difference when standing. At minimal platform (1-2 clicks, which does not mean no-platform by the way, but simply the lowest extent of platform for a given valving) standing on the bike does not really work too well (although it can be done), with 4-6 click I get almost the equivalent of a rigid bike under my butt thanks to the ROMIC VANILLA-STRATOS-ID combo

With the float (again no pro-pedal no-platform no-nothing) the standing performance was much worse, with a lot of bob no matter how smooth I was trying to be: much worse than the ROMIC at minimal platform (1-2 clicks). This is nothing new really, with 5" travel on a four-bar (horst or ITC or whatever Spotty really is) you need some platform to pedal aggressively otherwise there is bob ... almost no matter what you do.

Still debating the RP3 ot better a push ... altough DGC last comment (Romic better at high speed) makes me wonder about the switch ... push seems a much better option because of the costum valving (and the possibility to change settings by shipping it back to them) which might be important especially at my weight (I off the "average").
    Last edited by Davide; 01-20-2005 at 12:31 AM.