Fox Roller Bearing Issues- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Fox Roller Bearing Issues

I can't seem to keep these from making clicking noises. First was on an X2 on an enduro bike. The bike shop tried once to regrease it but that didn't work so I ended up replacing it with the IGUS bushings. Now on my new Tallboy (DPS) I'm having the same issue (possibly from bottoming out the shock). I'd like to be able to use a bearing since it's a short travel bike and will probably make a noticeable difference. I've had zero luck but no one else seems to be having issues. Anyone else have this issue or have any insight on making these bearings work?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    which roller bearings do you use? RWC?

if its RWC's bearing, the kit has several axles which are of difference diameter.
    maybe you are using one that is a bit too small?

i would also get in contact with chris from RWC. he is very good supporting his customers.

(https://forums.mtbr.com/shocks-suspe...me-998670.html)
    (https://forums.mtbr.com/member.php?u=234810)

paging @chris
    Oren

mtbr member
    From Fox
    Fox Roller Bearing Issues-img_20190611_194204.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Oh. Disregard....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    So you've tried the same bearing kit on two different shocks, or the same shock?

That's weird because there isn't a whole lot happening in that bearing kit...unless the bearings themselves are shifting while the suspension moves?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Robin View Post
    So you've tried the same bearing kit on two different shocks, or the same shock?

That's weird because there isn't a whole lot happening in that bearing kit...unless the bearings themselves are shifting while the suspension moves?
    I've actually tried two different Fox bearing kits on two different shocks on two different bikes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremy3220 View Post
    I've actually tried two different Fox bearing kits on two different shocks on two different bikes.
    Are these going on the linkage end that moves more, or the frame end that doesn't?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Velodonata View Post
    Are these going on the linkage end that moves more, or the frame end that doesn't?
    Linkage end

mtbr member
    I think a possible issue could be that these rely on a very good fit in the shock eye, which is notoriously not quite a 100% reliable tolerance. Are there any signs of fretting or other relative motion between the bearing cups and the shock eye during use? The RWC needle bearing kit comes with various fitted axles to solve tolerance problems, this kit is one size fits all and only if you need a 30mm width. From their diagram, Fox calls everything a light press or slip fit.

Fox Roller Bearing Issues-347116-01-d-740027.jpg

mtbr member
    Yeah it feels like the cup(s) is shifting slightly. I can bounce on the bike to compress the suspension then gently get off and lift the rear while placing a finger on the mount and when it clicks it feels like it's shifting slightly.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    I use RWC Roller bearings and haven't had issues, and as others have said maybe it's the fit. Perhaps you could try and RWC and see if it eliminated your clicking with the ability to fit a tighter tolerance.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I had the exact same problem with mine. No matter what i tried they made noise. The bearing caps have little lips in them and mine showed wear really quickly. I think itís related to side loading during suspension movement. Iíd say that them working quietly depends on if the frame side loads the link at times. I know some people that have them with no issues. Iíve used rwc with success on numerous bikes.

Thicc Member
    These things sound like junk!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I've had zero luck but no one else seems to be having issues. Anyone else have this issue or have any insight on making these bearings work?
    I have exactly the same clicking noise on my Tallboy. Not localized it yet, but have regreased and checked all suspension links. Twice. )

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by accordnick View Post
    I have exactly the same clicking noise on my Tallboy. Not localized it yet, but have regreased and checked all suspension links. Twice. )
    So the way mine clicks is I can bounce to compress the suspension (sometimes it clicks at this point) then I can gently step off the bike and quickly lift the back of the bike up (holding onto the front triangle) and it will click. I can also step off the bike and gently lift the back up then push down on the rear triangle with my other hand to make it click.

mtbr member
    So the way mine clicks is I can bounce to compress the suspension (sometimes it clicks at this point) then I can gently step off the bike and quickly lift the back of the bike up (holding onto the front triangle) and it will click. I can also step off the bike and gently lift the back up then push down on the rear triangle with my other hand to make it click.
    If it's installed and torqued up correctly and the cups are still moving in the shock eye, you will never get rid of the click. I would go with the RWC needle bearing kit.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    It's the 100% as mine does. But to get the click I've to push the suspension hard and fast (by a bunny hop or a jump), so it's difficult to diagnose at home.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I've fixed my Fox Roller Bearing. Replaced it by PA6 graphite bushing. )
    No more annoying clicks.

I'll try RWS needle bearing later (no delivery options now due to Covid).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Velodonata View Post
    If it's installed and torqued up correctly and the cups are still moving in the shock eye, you will never get rid of the click. I would go with the RWC needle bearing kit.
    This is what I ended up doing. Click is gone now.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by accordnick View Post
    I've fixed my Fox Roller Bearing. Replaced it by PA6 graphite bushing. )
    No more annoying clicks.

I'll try RWS needle bearing later (no delivery options now due to Covid).
    Just a heads up on the RWC kit, I've been running them for many years, I'm a big fan, but they all have a little play in them. It's annoying but you won't feel it on the trail. RWC will tell you a tiny bit of play is needed to prevent binding. To me it just seems like poor tolerances. There's really no need to provide multiple size inserts if the bearing and hardware are dialed in with exact tolerances but we are talking about the bike industry. Half of us have creaky pfbb's because our frames or bb cups have sloppy tolerances. Sounds like the fox bearing kit comes down to tolerances. I have the fox kit on my oem shock that was perfect. Zero noise, nice and smooth. Now I'm back to RWC because I couldn't remove the kit to swap over to my new shock. I miss how tight the fox bearing kit was, but on the trail there's zero difference in sensitivity between the two. Needle bearings are great, I just wish they were sealed, or at least self contained with tighter tolerances.

It's a big off topic but if anyone knows a good DIY technique for removing the fox kit I would appreciate any advice.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    From the parts diagram, could the issue at from part letter C being a bit too long? Couldn't you just file down the end a tad to tighten everything up?

I had a similar issue with an avalanche rear shock mounted on an Ibis mojo hd. The ti hollow insert was just a tad too wide allowing the shock to rattle around. Filed off a tad and it was good to go.
    83 Ritchey Everest
    95 Bianchi Mega Tube ti
    2015 Kona Operator Supreme
    2015 Kona Process 153
    2019 Kona Process 153 CR 29