fox grip damper rebuild- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007

fox grip damper rebuild

Anyone ever change the oil in the cartridge. How important is it to threadlock the topcap to the top of the cartridge on the damper i put threadlock on it but when i put the top of the damper on oil ran down the threads and washed it away. I guess the key is to do it more slowly and remove the oil from the top as you push it back into the damper. I got it up to torque tho so figure its ok at least for a while. Also anyone know a good way to clamp down the damper without buying the tool from fox i made some out of wood and they worked ok but were still slipping?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cbiker1200 View Post
    Anyone ever change the oil in the cartridge. How important is it to threadlock the topcap to the top of the cartridge on the damper i put threadlock on it but when i put the top of the damper on oil ran down the threads and washed it away. I guess the key is to do it more slowly and remove the oil from the top as you push it back into the damper. I got it up to torque tho so figure its ok at least for a while. Also anyone know a good way to clamp down the damper without buying the tool from fox i made some out of wood and they worked ok but were still slipping?
    I havenít done it myself for a few seasons and a few oil changes now. No issues.

I have a park tool clamp for various size diameters. Works great! I always put a piece of paper in between the clamps and the object Iím trying to hold down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current Bikes

2015 Transition Patrol AL
    2016 YT Tues AL

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cbiker1200 View Post
    Ive changed the cartridge oil a few times since I got the bike in 2017. The last time the oil was surprisingly contaminated. I had been riding in somewhat muddy conditions because it won't stop raining in the midwest. Damping performance is greatly improved with fresh oil.

I've never gone without the loctite because there is quite a lot of pressure experienced inside the damper. So I can't really say how important it is. I'd definitely recommend getting some Loctite #243 as specified because it is more tolerant of oil contamination than #242. Yes you have to fill the cartridge, insert the IFP/topcap, let it overflow, wipe it down, insert it more, wipe it down again, keep inserting it until it stops overflowing, then clean off the threads and apply the loctite. The #243 is expensive and harder to find, but a small bottle will last a long time. It can also be used pretty much anywhere #242 is called for, as far as I know.

I use regular strap wrenches from the hardware store instead of the vise blocks. I don't have a proper work bench or vise. The strap wrenches work OK but not great. The cartridge tube needs to be clean of any oil for them to work at all because they are made of rubber.

Hope that helps ya. It's an excellent damper
    My name is George. Iím unemployed and I live with my parents.
    2017 BMC Speedfox 25-622 ISO
    2017 Salsa Timberjack 40-584 ISO

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by the_joe View Post
    Ive changed the cartridge oil a few times since I got the bike in 2017. The last time the oil was surprisingly contaminated. I had been riding in somewhat muddy conditions because it won't stop raining in the midwest. Damping performance is greatly improved with fresh oil.

I've never gone without the loctite because there is quite a lot of pressure experienced inside the damper. So I can't really say how important it is. I'd definitely recommend getting some Loctite #243 as specified because it is more tolerant of oil contamination than #242. Yes you have to fill the cartridge, insert the IFP/topcap, let it overflow, wipe it down, insert it more, wipe it down again, keep inserting it until it stops overflowing, then clean off the threads and apply the loctite. The #243 is expensive and harder to find, but a small bottle will last a long time. It can also be used pretty much anywhere #242 is called for, as far as I know.

I use regular strap wrenches from the hardware store instead of the vise blocks. I don't have a proper work bench or vise. The strap wrenches work OK but not great. The cartridge tube needs to be clean of any oil for them to work at all because they are made of rubber.

Hope that helps ya. It's an excellent damper
    Thanks for the advice i have to find a better way to hold the damper my homemade clamps work but not great. I took it apart again and the key is to push the topcap back into the damper very slowly and use paper towels to adsorb the excess oil.