Fox fork needs to be serviced- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Fox fork needs to be serviced

I have an 07 stumpy with im guessing and 07? Fox Float 120 RL. Ive never had the fork serviced or really done anything to it except change psi when i play with different feels. now that i am home from school for the summer there really isnt anywhere i could take make fork to have any work done on it. most bikes around here are beach cruisers and fixies. my question is who can i send it to? do i send it to fox? a well known bike shop? maybe one of you? i dont know ? do i even need to have it serviced? i dont ride every day especially now that im at home except for around the neighborhood. but during school went riding maybe 3-4 times a week maybe 10-15 miles a time. what should i do with my fork?

also what is a comparable rockshox fork that is 120-140 mm? the revelation maybe?
    Honk your horn if im paying for your mortgage!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Yes, it should be serviced. You can do it yourself using instructions on Fox's website. Buy the fork oil from your nearest motorcycle shop.

mtbr member
    You could send it to PUSH industries and get it done too. They do great work on Fox forks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by spookyload
    You could send it to PUSH industries and get it done too. They do great work on Fox forks.
    I thought PUSH modified forks and rear shocks? im not familiar at all with them what all can they do?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    They do normal service as well as the custom tuning stuff.
    "Bikes aren't fast--people are fast. Bikes are overpriced. It's an important distinction."---BikeSnob NYC

Oct 2005
    Those forks aren't too bad to service yourself.

Get the right oil by downloading the chart from Pete Verdone's site, and match the CsT with the factory fill Fox. Try and get close and don't use the stated viscosity, as they are all off. I just use that to see what's close to the desired CsT based on what my shop has available.

Buy suspension oil from an MX shop for pennies, compared to how much they charge for mtbs.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    Those forks aren't too bad to service yourself.

Get the right oil by downloading the chart from Pete Verdone's site, and match the CsT with the factory fill Fox. Try and get close and don't use the stated viscosity, as they are all off. I just use that to see what's close to the desired CsT based on what my shop has available.

Buy suspension oil from an MX shop for pennies, compared to how much they charge for mtbs.

i was thinking about doing it myself and replacing the oil and seals. do i get the seals from the fox website or can i get those somewhere else as well?

Oct 2005
    For Fox Forks, I recommend Enduros because they are real seals. The problem with Fox forks is that most people don't do any maintenance on them and the way they are designed, the seals MUST be cleaned often because dirt packs in them, and they do let oil out. Enduro provides a real seal, and a real dust wiper. I recommend greasing between the upper and lower seals.

Push also offers a different service in that they install RS seals, which are very good, but this is part of their rebuild service and they machine the lowers to accept them.

Here's the site:

enduroforkseals.com

They also provide decent instructions there for many makes and models of forks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    has anybody ever done anything with hippie tech suspension?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    that was my main reason for thinking i need to have it serviced. i kept seeing oil on the upper tubes each time the fork compressed. not a ton but i could see it so.

those enduro seals look sweet. i especially like the dust wiper the package gives you.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    For Fox Forks, I recommend Enduros because they are real seals. The problem with Fox forks is that most people don't do any maintenance on them and the way they are designed, the seals MUST be cleaned often because dirt packs in them, and they do let oil out. Enduro provides a real seal, and a real dust wiper. I recommend greasing between the upper and lower seals.

Push also offers a different service in that they install RS seals, which are very good, but this is part of their rebuild service and they machine the lowers to accept them.

Here's the site:

enduroforkseals.com

that was my main reason for thinking i need to have it serviced. i kept seeing oil on the upper tubes each time the fork compressed. not a ton but i could see it so.

those enduro seals look sweet. i especially like the dust wiper the package gives you.

Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by russelr
    has anybody ever done anything with hippie tech suspension?
    There are posts here about them. Personally, I wouldn't risk using them. There are reports of poor communication, excuses, delays, lack of professionalism, etc. There's no reason to use them when you have Dirtlabs and Push around.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Hippie Tech has issues with customer service. If you're going to send it off, do it right and send it to Push.

Like Jerk Chicken said, use Enduro seals. Much better than the stock garbage.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    well i think im goign to try and do it my self. i just saw hippie tech and push listed on the same site so i thought i would ask about them .but thanks for the heads up.

i dont need any special tools to replace the oils and seals do i? just regular around the house kind of stuff?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Just to have it in the open, seeing a little oil on the stanchions with stock Fox seals is normal, however it's also why their forks need the oil changed frequently and regularly, because the seals let dirt in.

Again, just slap the Enduro seals on there and not worry about it again.

Oct 2005
    The seals let dirt in and it packs into a cavity around the stanchion face. They provide instructions on how to use electrical tape to remove it, however, that only skims a small amount off the face, since the cavity is concave. The other issue with Fox seals is they let oil out. It's not so bad with the open bath models that have larger oil supplies, but with FIT models that have only 15-30 cc's of oil per leg, that oil supply can be exhausted quite fast if the owner isn't on top of replenishing the bath.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bad mechanic
    Just to have it in the open, seeing a little oil on the stanchions with stock Fox seals is normal, however it's also why their forks need the oil changed frequently and regularly, because the seals let dirt in.

Again, just slap the Enduro seals on there and not worry about it again.
    i think thats what ill do as soon as i can find some directions and maybe a forum with pictures? know if there are any on here?

Oct 2005
    Enduro has tutorials on their site. That will give you an idea. Fox also provides rebuild instructions on their service site.

http://service.foxracingshox.com/consumers/

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    thanks jerk chicken, bad mechanic! yall were a lot of help. i think thats all i need for now. im going to do some reading up on it to see what i need to do and try it out and ill let you know how it goes. thanks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    quick question, my bike is an 07 stumpjumper. is my float fork an 07 or 06 model? The two require different amounts and different weights of oil. is there a serial number i can find to check to make sure?

Oct 2005
    Likely an 07, but a picture could help ID it. They do have serial numbers, but I don't know how to interpret them.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Likely an 07, but a picture could help ID it. They do have serial numbers, but I don't know how to interpret them.

I dont have a picture of the fork right now but i have a picture of the complete bike. maybe youll be able to tell from that? i attached a photo.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Looks like a 2007 to me, but a head on picture would be best. The 2006 and earlier (1gen) have a rounded brace, while the 2007 and newer (2gen) have a angular brace.

1 gen:

2 gen:

Oct 2005
    Most likely an 07, but I can't be totally sure. I also know Spec also gets their own oem models sometimes, so I don't want to take a shot. Try and contact Spec and/or Fox. The former has really good CS, and they might help you answer your question. I would email Fox with the serial to see what you have.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    i think its an 07 as well from the pictures bad mechanic posted. but i think ill take yalls advice and find the serial number and send them and email and see what exacatly it is. do you know where the serial # is normally located?

Oct 2005
    Steertube, back of crown, underside of crown. Check around.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    ok it for sure looks like the 2nd generation just black instead of the bronze color. and i found the serial #. it is 137184-0105. does that mean anything to anyone? i plan on emailing fox in the morning to find out for sure. how do i know if it is an oem?

mtbr member
    If it is an RL it is likely OEM. I don't think they sell RL only RLC aftermarket.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Here's the site:

enduroforkseals.com

is this all i need? http://enduroforkseals.com/id17.html . are there any other seels i need? do i also need the FOX® "Cartridge Rebuild Seal Kit" listed on there site?

and also does this look like the correct oil amounts and weights? the pic is in a attachment if you cant see it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    is this all i need? https://enduroforkseals.com/id17.html . are there any other seels i need? do i also need the FOX® "Cartridge Rebuild Seal Kit" listed on there site?

and also does this look like the correct oil amounts and weights? the pic is in a attachment if you cant see it.
    Yes, that's the kit you need.

No, you don't need the cartridge rebuild kit.

Yes, that looks right.

Go to your local motorcycle shop to buy the oil. Don't go off the listed oil weight, instead use this chart: https://www.pvdwiki.com/images/a/a7/...osity-Data.gif. Fox needs 31.82 [email protected] oil, so use the chart and find the closest thing the motorcycle shop has to that.

For the Float Fluid, you can either by a 5ml pillow pack from Enduro for $2.60, or you can buy a quart of 80w gear oil for $8.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bad mechanic
    Yes, that's the kit you need.

No, you don't need the cartridge rebuild kit.

Yes, that looks right.

Go to your local motorcycle shop to buy the oil. Don't go off the listed oil weight, instead use this chart: https://www.pvdwiki.com/images/a/a7/...osity-Data.gif. Fox needs 31.82 [email protected] oil, so use the chart and find the closest thing the motorcycle shop has to that.

For the Float Fluid, you can either by a 5ml pillow pack from Enduro for $2.60, or you can buy a quart of 80w gear oil for $8.
    is the oil on the fox website the correct 31.82 cst at 40c oil? if so im pretty sure ive seen it at my lbs sitting behind the counter for sale. are you saying get it from the motorcycle shop because it will be cheaper or because they will just have a bigger selection of fork oils?

Members who have read this thread: 0