Fox Float X2 shock discussion - Page 2- Mtbr.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    mtbr member

So my 2017 x2 finally arrived. For the life of me i can't remove the aircan to check if the volume spacers are in the shock as It was not in the box separately like before. So my questions is, did your 2017 x2 came with spacers inside the shock already or im just shit out of luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Hopefully you took the little screw out. Mine came with 1 extra spacer but I got mine directly from Fox. 2 were already installed and mine can take a max of three. Try Going to fox website for better instructions on how to remove the can and also to look up your shock to see how many it could take. I believe there's a few YouTube videos that might help as well. From what I remember you turn it towards the air valve and it should come loose, it was a little tight for me too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bikemuscle View Post
    Hopefully you took the little screw out. Mine came with 1 extra spacer but I got mine directly from Fox. 2 were already installed and mine can take a max of three. Try Going to fox website for better instructions on how to remove the can and also to look up your shock to see how many it could take. I believe there's a few YouTube videos that might help as well. From what I remember you turn it towards the air valve and it should come loose, it was a little tight for me too.
    What screw? Yeah i watched the videos in youtube. I injured my bAck so im pretty weak lol.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    They added a tiny screw on the back of the canister, it's a 1.5 mm hex which is really small.

Here's the fox link for adding and removing volume spacers:
    2016-2017 FLOAT X2 Air Spring Tuning with Air Volume Spacers | Bike Help Center | FOX

If you need a good cheap hex wrench set Performance bikes usually stocks them:
    Spin Doctor Hex Wrench Set
    Last edited by bikemuscle; 12-23-2016 at 06:10 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bikemuscle View Post
    They added a tiny screw on the back of the canister, it's like a 2.5 mm I believe which is really small.

Oh really lol. I just followed this video

https://youtu.be/389dOdzHWAA

mtbr member
    Got it thanks. I feel stupid now lol. Only have two spacers in there.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Hi, just got a new YT Tues with the Float X2 shock. Really pleased with the shock but on my third ride I landed a big jump and it made a horrible clunking noise. It didn't bottom out. Now every time I compress the shock it makes this horrible clunk / thud noise. Everything seems to be working fine - the rebound and compression still works fine. Can anyone please help or give me any advice on what to do. I'm going to Spain in a week for 3 months so really need it sorted in the next few days..

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Try checking your shocks mounting bolts but you probably haven't ridden it enough yet for that to happen but just in case. I know mine have came loose so much that I wanna add some locktite. Actually a lot of my bolts come loose, rear derailer and my fork bumper bolt completely rattled off. Santa Cruz had to send me new bumper hardware and that's only after a few months of riding. I have a really nice torq wrench set and I'm always checking all of my bolts. Good luck and please share what you find out.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Already tried all them. It's definitely the shock making the noise.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    did you remove the can and see if any spacers came apart? My X2 had the black solid ones but I saw the new version contains the red ones that click together.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by gforcephoto View Post
    did you remove the can and see if any spacers came apart? My X2 had the black solid ones but I saw the new version contains the red ones that click together.
    Thanks. Will give that a try.

mtbr member
    How does the Fox Float X CTD compare to this X2? It's missing some settings, obviously, but apart from that? Looking to use either shock on a Specialized Enduro.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Do any long term users know if it's possible to user service the air can?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by onzadog View Post
    Answered on STW.

mtbr member
    https://www.ridefox.com/help.php?m=bike&id=682
    Current Bikes

2015 Transition Patrol AL
    2016 YT Tues AL

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Haha Rick, I just saw that it had been. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Junersun, thank you for that. Having read through all of that, I think I might actually enjoy doing that to a couple of shocks a few times a year if I can get hold of the proper tools.

mtbr member
    Other than Kashima coating is there any differences in Factory vs Performance X2?
    Fox site has no info at all on Performance series X2

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I'd imagine that if there's a performance version, it would be an OE item.

mtbr member
    I'd imagine that if there's a performance version, it would be an OE item.
    It was an OE shock but wondering if any internal differences...

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by yeti575inCA View Post
    It was an OE shock but wondering if any internal differences...
    It only has low speed compression and rebound adjustment no high speed compression and rebound adjusters.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Draper View Post
    It only has low speed compression and rebound adjustment no high speed compression and rebound adjusters.
    Thanks

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    Instagram/Youtube- Dagonger
    Yeti Cycles sb45c/sb150

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I'm looking for a new shock and having been disappointed with the monarch plus debonair, I'm now looking to Fox.

My monarch came with a M/M tune. I assume that the x2 with all its adjustment, Justin comes as it is, but if I go with the float x evol, I need to pick the correct base tune. Is that right?

One of the things that bugged me with the monarch was ac lumpy feeling when the positive and negative chambers balanced. Three of them did this so I don't think it was just a duff one. I've also noticed similar on a cane creek. Has anyone noticed this on with it the Fox air shocks?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I'm looking for a new shock and having been disappointed with the monarch plus debonair, I'm now looking to Fox.

My monarch came with a M/M tune. I assume that the x2 with all its adjustment, Justin comes as it is, but if I go with the float x evol, I need to pick the correct base tune. Is that right?

One of the things that bugged me with the monarch was ac lumpy feeling when the positive and negative chambers balanced. Three of them did this so I don't think it was just a duff one. I've also noticed similar on a cane creek. Has anyone noticed this on with it the Fox air shocks?
    There is a few different main piston tunes available for the float x2 but with the adjustment available you will be fine to dial it in. The Fox shock will have a slight dead spot where the 2 cambers equalise, thats just the nature of a self equalising negative air spring.

A off the shelf float x would be a M/M tune.

Overall I have never been impressed with RockShox shocks, they just aren't that great imho.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I'd imagine there would be a change at the chamber bleed port. The monarch used to feel like the support collapsed at that point though. Fortunately, that was at 15% travel. My concern is that the Fox port is at 25% which is a much busier part of the travel.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Got a quick question : Does the climb switch / 2 pos. Lever does basically the same thing like turning the LSC all the way in? Or it's something more profound like an actual lockout? I'm having slight bobing on my YT Capra and want to see if there would be an improvement on the climbs with the switch?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bogdan_mb View Post
    Got a quick question : Does the climb switch / 2 pos. Lever does basically the same thing like turning the LSC all the way in? Or it's something more profound like an actual lockout? I'm having slight bobing on my YT Capra and want to see if there would be an improvement on the climbs with the switch?
    Increasing the LSC a fair amount.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    My LSC dial is maxed out but it's still bobing slightly. So is there any improvement with a Switch? I'm just asking if it's actually worth 200$/Ä

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bogdan_mb View Post
    My LSC dial is maxed out but it's still bobing slightly. So is there any improvement with a Switch? I'm just asking if it's actually worth 200$/Ä
    There is improvement but it sounds like you will still get some bobbing. It wasn't a necessity for me as my Nomad pedals/climbs very well. I was curious and figured I could recoup some of the costs in additional resale value. I also got a discount since the shock was in for the recall and service.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Does anyone know where to find the travel reducer to shorten the stroke from 57mm to 50mm or know the outside diameter, I know the shaft is 9mm, of the washer needed to limit travel.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by gate View Post
    I'm 155 ungeared and very recently put an X2 on my 2015 Nomad right before a trip to Whistler. I started with in the middle of the Fox recommended settings for the PSI that I chose (160). After a week of riding I had basically backed the LSC out a click to 22 and the HSR a click also. At those settings the shock did feel harsh to me on braking bumps and other fast repeated square edge hits. Not the 'magic carpet' that some people describe, but I loved the performance and control. Was just nearing but not hitting bottom out despite my best efforts and worst jump casing. I really only thought about the shock when I hit the braking bumps. And in those bumps it was very composed and there wasn't a lack of control. So, being not the most confident in my suspension setups I was thinking I had gotten to a setup that may work really well but may also give me some feedback rather than feeling like I'm floating on a pillow. I think it's been said here but one of the best things about that shock is how it transforms the Nomad on technical climbing - supports the mid stroke so the bike stays up in its travel. I went from many pedals strikes to almost no pedal strikes on 175mm cranks.

Okay back to the light rider issue. On my old Nomad (N2) I put a RWC needle bearing kit on the rear end of the shock and it absolutely transformed that bike, made it way more supple. I would think that lighter guys like you and me may be more affected by stiction in the plastic shock bushings from Fox. So, putting needle bearing kits on one or both ends of the shock are something to consider. I am thinking about doing it for the X2. You've already gone so far as to try changing the oil in the shock, so why not try the needle bearings, right?
    You every get this dialed? I'm 150lbs and running into the same problem.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I opened the air can to check how many volume spacers were in there (3 out of the allowed 3 for my size on a Nomad). Getting the air can off there was a fair amount of friction but it came off relatively easily. But when I install it back there doesn't seem to be much friction (really no static friction) keeping it in place when I turn it all the way, and I'm sure that it is in the right position. Mine does not have the little screw that the later models do. I guess that's why they added the screw? Should I wipe some of the grease off the seals do increase the amount of friction? Not worry about it?

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Has anyone else ran into the little set screw stripping? If so how to get it out and what to replace it with. I don't like the idea of cutting a slot, too close to the body.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    sorry for the question in this thread (maybe it has already been postet), but: does anyone know if there was a change in the 2pos-lockout function between '16/17 and '18 models?
    i had a '17 216mm Model in my former nomad and by switching the lever to firm it was nearly a complete lock-out. now with the current nomad and 2018 230*60 model switching the Lever only leads to a very slow compression but it still goes through the complete sag. (altough Fox internal tuned the compression to firm)
    any ideas are very welcome!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    i have a 2018 x2 and after about 50 miles, it started having black marks on the stanchion. looks like somethings rubbing on it. i can clean it off with a towel, but after a few compressions, it'll come back. anyone hit this issue?

to my knowledge, the shock seems to work still. im still new to the shock so im not sure how i'd test to make sure it's 100% working.

im running 185psi with 3 click-in volume spacers. it came with the 3 click in spacers from fox, which is odd.

Fox Float X2 shock discussion-20171121_113435-1.jpg
    2017 yeti sb6c turq x01 eagle

Giant Reign Advanced 1
    Is there any other tool (cheaper, simplier) instead of 398-00-419 to do step 5?
    https://www.ridefox.com/help.php?m=b...lout&eid=8226#
    "negative air sealhead tool (PN: 398-00-419) with the notches for the negative air sealhead"
    OK

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ka81ua View Post
    Is there any other tool (cheaper, simplier) instead of 398-00-419 to do step 5?
    https://www.ridefox.com/help.php?m=b...lout&eid=8226#
    "negative air sealhead tool (PN: 398-00-419) with the notches for the negative air sealhead"
    I used one of these, worked good.

https://www.parktool.com/product/cra...ttom%20Bracket

mtbr member
    I would do a basic air can service on it. I imagine your seals are dry. Fox requires 5ccs of Float Fluid with every service and I think that's all you'll need. If you are opening the can, you might as well just replace the seals but you may be able to get away with just the can lube. You can use 15wt if that's easier.

mk
    TrailWerks Cyclery
    TrailWerks Suspension Service

trailwerkssuspension.com
    trailwerkscyclery.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by spokeywheeler View Post
    Yes, we can verify this will work. It is what we use, but be careful not to slip as it will scratch the air tube. We also spent some time rounding over the sharp edges to make it more friendly. Also fully compress the air can so it protects the air tube.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Thanks for the tip. I rejected the idea of home servicing the X2 not because it looked too difficult (the Fox guide looked really clear) but because of the tooling cost.

Does anyone have a list of alternatives like the one above that will work? How much do we actually need to spend to make it happen?

mtbr member
    Anyone have experience with Fox's warranty? I've lost all rebound dampening and it's making a squelching sounds like there's air in the system. Yay.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeboardorblade View Post
    Anyone have experience with Fox's warranty? I've lost all rebound dampening and it's making a squelching sounds like there's air in the system. Yay.

Fill out an Ra request online. I had an enail reply next day with shipping instructions

Yeti Cycles sb45c/sb150

mtbr member
    How's the turnaround? How are they to work with?

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    FWIW I used the Park HCW-5 tool because I had it in my tool box already and I was looking to see if some other sort of spanner would do it instead of the specialty fox tool. I wrapped the shock body with an old tube to protect it. the good thing is the park tool engages pretty well and I didn't have any issues with it slipping.

I didn't do a full service on the shock however. I just wanted to get it apart enough so that I could get some float fluid behind the main wiper seal. I made a clamp block for the air sleeve with wood and using that and the spanner I was able to unthread the front part of the seal and squirt some lube into it.

Not a replacement for a proper service by any means but mine was running dry and after the addition of some float fluid it's back to normal.

mtbr member
    How's the turnaround? How are they to work with?

Will post when in done. I just sent in on Fri.

Yeti Cycles sb45c/sb150

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Similar thing happened to mine (no compression damping and squelching sound) after 600 miles. Turn around time for warranty was about 3 days after they got it.

Props to fox for an easy process but Iím bummed it died so quickly.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I think I've heard that there is an issue but Avalanche have a fix.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jminus View Post
    Similar thing happened to mine (no compression damping and squelching sound) after 600 miles. Turn around time for warranty was about 3 days after they got it.

Props to fox for an easy process but Iím bummed it died so quickly.
    The turn around is encouraging, but discouraging that it's happening more and more. I know a few other people locally with similar issues. How has it since getting it back?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    The turn around is encouraging, but discouraging that it's happening more and more. I know a few other people locally with similar issues. How has it since getting it back?

Itís been fine but due to weather and work it has only accumulated 160 miles of riding. Iíll probably get to 600 again by spring and Iíll follow up here if it dies again. I was killing my CC shock every 600 miles so thatís become my benchmark.

mtbr member
    Anyone here running the Fox R2 oil?

I'm looking for viscosity info. It's not on the front of the bottle.
    Owner of www.shockcraft.co.nz, Mech Engineer, Tuner, Manitou, Motorex, Vorsprung EPTC, SKF, Enduro
    www.dougal.co.nz

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    1. Do you really need the "X2 bullet (398-00-418)" to reinstall the rebuilt bearing assembly onto the shaft? Can't you just carefully place it on the shaft by hand? Is this to prevent the threads from scratching the inside of the bearing assembly?

2. What other creative options do you have other than using the DHX2 shaft eyelet (213-01-460) to prevent the shaft from going into the damper? Can't you use two nuts?

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I had to send my x2 in for warranty work since it cavitated. Its been a week so far, hopefully will get it back in a few days. I'll have to learn to rebuild this on my own next time when its out of warranty. Guess I'll have to figure out the 9mm clamp. Thats the only thing im missing. Gonna try the rubber golf clamp i have laying around, hopefully will do the trick.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Giant Reign Advanced 1
    What's a 9mm clamp? Photo (link) please..
    OK

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    You'll need to look at the float x2 rebuild instructions on fix's website. There are too many tools. It basically just clamps down on the damper rod. It costs $80 and its over priced . They also sell one for the body as well. I dont want to pay 80 for a metal clamp. I havent been able to find a good quality alternative.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonlui View Post
    I had to send my x2 in for warranty work since it cavitated. Its been a week so far, hopefully will get it back in a few days. I'll have to learn to rebuild this on my own next time when its out of warranty. Guess I'll have to figure out the 9mm clamp. Thats the only thing im missing. Gonna try the rubber golf clamp i have laying around, hopefully will do the trick.

You need quite a deep 9mm shaft clamp to remove the end eye.

Also its not cavitated the shaft seal has failed and allowed oil into the air can.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    The report directly from Fox said its cavitated. Something about an out of date oring in the bearing assembly. But they used the word cavitated as the reason.

Giant Reign Advanced 1
    You'll need to look at the float x2 rebuild instructions on fix's website. There are too many tools. It basically just clamps down on the damper rod. It costs $80 and its over priced . They also sell one for the body as well. I dont want to pay 80 for a metal clamp. I havent been able to find a good quality alternative.

Seriously, I don't see a 9mm clamp... Show a pic plz
    OK

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Seriously, I don't see a 9mm clamp... Show a pic plz
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Fox+9mm+clamp

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Anyone run their shock with the red limiter removed? I only use 1 spacer and 215psi with hsc almost all the way out.

The limiter is only there to prevent someone from using too many spacers. Shouldn't be a problem if the limiter is removed if i use no more than 1 spacer?

fuggansonofahowa
    I thought that the red spacer was roughly the same volume of a single spacer. It doesn't look like it, but the internet told me that....as well as Tide Pods make a good snack.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Anyone run their shock with the red limiter removed? I only use 1 spacer and 215psi with hsc almost all the way out.

The limiter is only there to prevent someone from using too many spacers. Shouldn't be a problem if the limiter is removed if i use no more than 1 spacer?

I can find it at the moment but there is a video of Chris porter pulling the red x2 limiting spacer out and putting in more than the fox specified number of spacers into an x2. I think it was when he was setting up a geometron for a customer. I think he said unless you are doing anything crazy you shouldn't run into issues but it is at your own risk.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    The report directly from Fox said its cavitated. Something about an out of date oring in the bearing assembly. But they used the word cavitated as the reason.

I concerns me that they used the word cavitated since itís actually aerated....cavitation is dynamic and hard to feel at all.

They originally used a quad ring that proved to not be up to the task and since late last year it has been changed to an o ring.

As for tools itís a top of the line shock ffs.....if you donít want to pay a pro to do it at least make sure you have a couple of good tools! Getting the air can completely off needs good clamps for the can and 9mm shaft so spend a bit of money there because itís easy to scratch something!

Instead of a DHX2 eyelet I used to use the shocks own eyelet and it worked fine.

The bullet tool stops the seal getting nicked by the edge of the shaft and would be a pain to fit without it! Considering the fact that you are probably rebuilding the shock because that seal was leaking it makes sense to do it properly...

Finally set aside a couple of hours for the bleed process alone if you want any hope of doing a remotely good job! Some kind of syringe to vacuum the shock is crucial too

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by aussieprime View Post
    I can find it at the moment but there is a video of Chris porter pulling the red x2 limiting spacer out and putting in more than the fox specified number of spacers into an x2. I think it was when he was setting up a geometron for a customer. I think he said unless you are doing anything crazy you shouldn't run into issues but it is at your own risk.
    http://www.mbr.co.uk/news/suspension...th-mojo-368074

From 2.50 onwards

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Thanks. I agree on the bullet tool, its only $15.
    $80 for a 9mm clamp shaft is expensive. $160 for both clamps. If there is no other option then i guess its better than nothing.

Fox used the word caviation in their paperwork from the tech department.

Giant Reign Advanced 1
    Hope someone will ever make a detailed video about how to deal with that "cavitation problem"..
    OK

Giant Reign Advanced 1
    Is thete some good simple detailed video how to setup float x2 I mean LSR/HSR and LSC/HSC?
    I'm new user of that shock and honestly I don't exactly understand how to feel that some settings are bettet than others.
    For example, LSR - 6 clicks or 7 clicks, etc..
    OK

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Is thete some good simple detailed video how to setup float x2 I mean LSR/HSR and LSC/HSC?
    I'm new user of that shock and honestly I don't exactly understand how to feel that some settings are bettet than others.
    For example, LSR - 6 clicks or 7 clicks, etc..

You can start with the recommended settings in the fox manual but also check out Vorsprungís Tuesday tune videos, specifically the one or high speed/low speed damping and the one about more spring or more compression

Giant Reign Advanced 1
    Thank you for advices.
    Could you, please, type links on your videos so I wouldn't make a mistake?..
    OK

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Hope someone will ever make a detailed video about how to deal with that "cavitation problem"..
    yeah same here. mine was making slurping noises too. i sent it to fox last week. they said it was cavitated also and some out of date internals.

https://youtu.be/Tt2wnLvT8hA

i only had the 2018 fox x2 for 3 months with maybe 10 rides due to shitty weather.

they are sending it back on monday. hopefully all is ok.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Same here. Had it for a few months and same noise. Sent it in and said it was cavitated and said an oring needs to be updated. Everything is working so far.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Same here. Had it for a few months and same noise. Sent it in and said it was cavitated and said an oring needs to be updated. Everything is working so far.

man i was so tempted to just get a dhx2 or an 11-6 lol. raging that i can't ride, and this weekend is the first free and nice weather weekend in my area.

Giant Reign Advanced 1
    But which one o-ring exactly is the problem??
    I don't have ane Fox service nearby so I have to deal with it by myself..
    OK

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    no idea. i dont know enough about the internals to say. and fox didn't give me details. thats literally all they communicated to me.

mtbr member
    More IFP pressure.

Same problem as pretty much every fox air shock ever.
    Owner of www.shockcraft.co.nz, Mech Engineer, Tuner, Manitou, Motorex, Vorsprung EPTC, SKF, Enduro
    www.dougal.co.nz

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Dougal View Post
    More IFP pressure.

hey dougal,
    can you elaborate please? the last thing i did to the x2 was increase the air from 195 to 210psi, but i dont think that would cause my slurping issue

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    More IFP pressure.

The main shaft seal is the issue, oil ends up bypassing it and ending up in the aircan. They have moved from a quad ring to a regular o-ring on that seal now apparently. The tech docs show it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by useport80 View Post
    hey dougal,
    can you elaborate please? the last thing i did to the x2 was increase the air from 195 to 210psi, but i dont think that would cause my slurping issue
    He's talking about the IFP chamber. It's pressurized seperately from the main air chamber and isn't something that a general user is advised to touch from Fox.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    The main shaft seal is the issue, oil ends up bypassing it and ending up in the aircan. They have moved from a quad ring to a regular o-ring on that seal now apparently. The tech docs show it.
    Oh, they did a CC?

What's with everyone getting seal groove dimensions wrong these days causing leaks? Did all the old engineers retire?
    www.dougal.co.nz

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Oh, they did a CC?

What's with everyone getting seal groove dimensions wrong these days causing leaks? Did all the old engineers retire?
    yeah I canít get how that kinda thing happens, the replacement polyurethane seal is just like what every other fox ever has used so why not use it from the start?

Giant Reign Advanced 1
    FLOAT X2 Part Information | Bike Help Center | FOX

Can someone please show the part number of "problematic" ring (/s)?
    OK

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    FLOAT X2 Part Information | Bike Help Center | FOX

Can someone please show the part number of "problematic" ring (/s)?
    Its in the bearing assembly, the main shaft seal.

Giant Reign Advanced 1
    please, point at picture exactly, or write a part-number if it's written somewhere there on fox's page.
    Thank you very much
    OK

Giant Reign Advanced 1
    https://www.ridefox.com/fox17/img/he...6-085-KITc.jpg
    029-03-022 or 035-06-000 or 029-08-123 or some else ??
    OK

mtbr member
    https://www.ridefox.com/fox17/img/he...6-085-KITc.jpg
    029-03-022 or 035-06-000 or 029-08-123 or some else ??
    PU Orings are usually used because they're tougher and don't slice up going past the rebound port on the shaft.

Makes me wonder if Fox's issue is assembly related rather than seal/groove size?
    www.dougal.co.nz

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    From my rma paper:
    029-08-123
    O-ring 8.5mm id x 2.5mm cs
    Polyurethane parker 4300/93A or disogrin 9250/90A

I dont know what this means but that's what's on the paperwork

mtbr member
    question.. about to order a new frame and I want to get the the DHx2 coil but can't find concrete info on a heavy weight spring for my size... about 250-255 at 6'2"
    Any big boys running this shock with a heavy spring for that weight? Or I might just get the frame with the DHx2 can... hummmm
    k n o ll y r o c k s

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Bizarro View Post
    question.. about to order a new frame and I want to get the the DHx2 coil but can't find concrete info on a heavy weight spring for my size... about 250-255 at 6'2"
    Any big boys running this shock with a heavy spring for that weight? Or I might just get the frame with the DHx2 can... hummmm
    i tried looking at some of the internet spring calcs and i usually get these results:

plush=350-375 spring
    firm=400-450 spring

for a 195 riding weight.

mtbr member
    ohhhh really...thanks man. Yeah having a hard time definitively knowing if this will work for my phat ass. I don't see why not and it's FOX so i assume they have a big boy spring. But am I wrong or am I seeing these springs going for $130 around the sites??

This is crazy for a steel spring. I really don't understand the pricing on this. Not Ti.
    k n o ll y r o c k s

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Bizarro View Post
    ohhhh really...thanks man. Yeah having a hard time definitively knowing if this will work for my phat ass. I don't see why not and it's FOX so i assume they have a big boy spring. But am I wrong or am I seeing these springs going for $130 around the sites??

This is crazy for a steel spring. I really don't understand the pricing on this. Not Ti.
    yeah it seems like $130 everywhere...

Giant Reign Advanced 1
    029-08-123
    O-ring 8.5mm id x 2.5mm cs
    so this one is the source of cavitating problem?

Does anyone know if this o-ring come in a kit 803-00-951 Seal Kit: Float X2 Spring and Damper Rebuild 2016-2017 all sizes except 8.75x2.75 ( https://www.bike-components.de/en/Fo...oat-X2-p44547/ ) ?

Or it comes only in bearing assy kit 812-06-085 ??

https://www.foxracingshox.de/905/201...groin-9250/90a is it the one? Any other online deals like ebay or similiar?..
    Last edited by ka81ua; 03-12-2018 at 01:43 AM.
    OK

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Not sure. Its written on the paperwork

mtbr member
    I've had this part on both my X2's replaced/installed as well. Sent them both back in when they starting squelching from cavitating.

But now the one on my Nomad makes a "squeak" type sound when it's compressed, almost like the seal is too tight and hasn't broken in, or the seal needs to be lubricated? Both of my X2's do this now with the new seal, so I'm guessing this is normal? Anyone else's doing this?
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    These shocks are not cavitating. I wish Fox would stop telling people this is whats happening.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I put an X2 on my new Bronson and got my first ride on the bike the other day and am concerned if it can handle my weight and riding. Right now, I'm about 225 geared up, needed the max of 250 psi to achieve 30% sag and have the max 2 volume reducers in the can(200x57 stroke). Since this is my new "big" bike, compared to my Ripley, my hope is to tune it to prevent bottom out on some occasional 4 ft. drops to flat and handle chunky trail without doing the same. I started with Fox's recommended compression settings(12-14 clicks) for the can pressure being used and went with Vorsprung's recommendation to run HSR all the way in and use LSR to tune(for reasons explained in their videos)appropriate rebound.

Anyway, I had a few bottom outs on runs with 8-10" type rocks, worked on speeding up rebound to help prevent packing down being the cause. And was using all the travel on some slower 2-3 ft. drops to flat. I know bottom outs can't be eliminated, but it really wasn't much different than my 120mm travel Ripley. And overall, the shock/bike just felt stiff on the chatter. Backed off the LSC, increased HSC and not much better. My feeling is I need more ramp up, but I'm maxed on reducers, and I need less overall air to get a plusher ride on the chatter, but this will contribute to further bottoming. At this point I just can't see the LSC/HSC adjusters, with maybe a little more rebound tweaking, getting me to my goal. Any advice?
    9:Zero:7 Whiteout
    Ibis Ripley LS v2
    Ibis Ripmo

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    These shocks are not cavitating. I wish Fox would stop telling people this is whats happening.
    If its not cavitated, what is it so we understand it better?

mtbr member

Yeah, that'd be good to know if you can explain when you get time Rick. I was just repeating what Fox told me...
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

The main shaft seal has failed and has allowed oil to bypass it and enter the air can, the IFP bottoms out in the air can so it is unable to function and then air gets dragging into the damper through the failed main shaft seal.

This is cavitation, and is not whats happening in all these failed X2 shocks, hence the change to the same pu o-ring as all inline CTD and DPS shocks use on the main shaft seal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejirKoI2jCs

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    O-ring 029-08-123
    8.5mm id x 2.5mm cs
    This o-ring failure is the cause of the problem and its in bearing assembly.
    I have the same problem and there is not any fox service center or bike suspension service where i live so i built required tools in machining shop for very cheaper prices than fox ... and i will rebuild it myself at home . I upgraded my shock on giant reign with this shock last year and now it needs a rebuilt .
    Here is the photo of the o-ring
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fox Float X2 shock discussion-20180318_004748.jpg  

Fox Float X2 shock discussion-20180318_004846.jpg  

Giant Reign Advanced 1

New question here.

is that thee o-ring?
    it doesn't look like O-ring, it's more like X-ring. I guess it's impossible to find at usual supply-stores with resin rings and etc.. ((
    Last edited by ka81ua; 03-18-2018 at 03:12 AM.
    OK

Giant Reign Advanced 1
    Fortunately, this x-ring presents in 803-00-951 Seal Kit )
    OK

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Fortunately, this x-ring presents in 803-00-951 Seal Kit )
    Fox have removed the quad ring and replaced it with a PU o-ring to prevent this failure happening.

fuggansonofahowa
    Fox have removed the quad ring and replaced it with a PU o-ring to prevent this failure happening.
    When did they start doing that? Do I have to worry about my recently purchased MY18 sounding like a cheap adult movie after a few rides?

Giant Reign Advanced 1
    Can you please show it or smth similiar? Im no sure I got your info in right way (engl is not my native).

What are the chages about new ring - is it only material (from resin to polyurethane) or the shape also (from unusual X to simple O)?
    OK

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawseman View Post
    When did they start doing that? Do I have to worry about my recently purchased MY18 sounding like a cheap adult movie after a few rides?
    Late last year/early this year. All the new seal kits come with it in now instead for he quad ring. The tech docs show the part number change as well.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Can you please show it or smth similiar? Im no sure I got your info in right way (engl is not my native).

What are the chages about new ring - is it only material (from resin to polyurethane) or the shape also (from unusual X to simple O)?
    Material and shape.

They were using a -110 N70 quad ring and now they are using a 8.5 x 2.5 PU o-ring.

Giant Reign Advanced 1
    . The tech docs show the part number change as well.
    could you please give a link to tech doc or at least write a part number of new ring?
    OK

Giant Reign Advanced 1
    Material and shape.

They were using a -110 N70 quad ring and now they are using a 8.5 x 2.5 PU o-ring.
    I just bought full service seal kit and there's X-ring..
    I guess ididn't get new oring?..
    So, in future i should just find some pu 8.5 x2.5 in supply stores and will be fine?
    OK

Giant Reign Advanced 1
    If it is the one - https://www.foxracingshox.de/905/201...roin-9250/90a# than it's dated at 2016 but you said it's rather new ring...
    OK

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    2018 Tech doc:
    Fox Float X2 shock discussion-812-06-085-kitc.jpg

Part number: 029-08-123

Seal kits have all been updated, you must have a older kit.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    If it is the one - https://www.foxracingshox.de/905/201...roin-9250/90a# than it's dated at 2016 but you said it's rather new ring...
    Its been used in other fox shocks as well, not just the X2.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    So what are the odds that my 2018 Float X2 that I bought recently but says it was manufactured on 7/27/2017 on the sticker on the box has the new o-ring?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    on my repair documentation from fox, it has this. i dunno if it's the same o-ring or quad ring you guys are referring to.Fox Float X2 shock discussion-20180316_180227.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Read through this whole thing and still unsure on a few things.

After releasing all the air to set sag should I full open or close all dampers? Or leave them where I should set them?

Ibis manual alludes to starting at fully closed to set dampers, but doesn't specifiy if I should close them when re-inflating the chambers.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodstockMTB View Post
    Read through this whole thing and still unsure on a few things.

After releasing all the air to set sag should I full open or close all dampers? Or leave them where I should set them?

Ibis manual alludes to starting at fully closed to set dampers, but doesn't specifiy if I should close them when re-inflating the chambers.

Thanks
    Open all the setting up on the damper when you set your base level sag. Then dial the damper settings in from fully closed. You use fully closed as its always a set point, sometimes fully open can vary between different shocks even though they are identical.

Giant Reign Advanced 1
    So when filling shock with air all settings should be fully opened (means fully counterclockwise turned)?
    OK

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    My 2018 has failed with the same issues, squelchy, no rebound, you can hear oil sloshing around when shaking it so I guess thats the damping oil in the aircan.
    No warranty despite only 12 months old as I bought it as a grey import. Still cheap enough so not an too much of an issue, its off being serviced currently.
    I'm a bit peeved though as I got this to replace a garbage ccdba that had the same problems on a very regular basis.
    Would a dhx2 coil have the same fault? As I'm mighty tempted to sell this when it comes back & get a coil.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mcozzy29 View Post
    My 2018 has failed with the same issues, squelchy, no rebound, you can hear oil sloshing around when shaking it so I guess thats the damping oil in the aircan.
    No warranty despite only 12 months old as I bought it as a grey import. Still cheap enough so not an too much of an issue, its off being serviced currently.
    I'm a bit peeved though as I got this to replace a garbage ccdba that had the same problems on a very regular basis.
    Would a dhx2 coil have the same fault? As I'm mighty tempted to sell this when it comes back & get a coil.
    DHX2 has other issues, one been eating the ti nitrate shock shafts, they have changed the sealing on these for 2018/9 so hopefully it will have fixed them as well.

Giant Reign Advanced 1
    Quote Originally Posted by mcozzy29 View Post
    could you please describe what they did service in your shock?
    I guess I'll have same issue somitime but I'd like to service it by myself..
    OK

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Anythung other than fitting volume reducers in an X2 involves significant disassembly and specific tools. You can't even service the air can without having to change the oil and bleed it. The instructions are in the fix website and look straightforward enough but the tooling is silly expensive.

Still debating if it's worth it. Although it would mean I service it more often.

Giant Reign Advanced 1
    Anythung other than fitting volume reducers in an X2 involves significant disassembly and specific tools. You can't even service the air can without having to change the oil and bleed it. The instructions are in the fix website and look straightforward enough but the tooling is silly expensive.

Still debating if it's worth it. Although it would mean I service it more often.
    was it for me?

if yes, anyway I don't have NORMAL official FOX service nearby so I have to (and I like to) do all the services by myself.. )

Tha main ? here is - what and how to service if we are talking about well-known issue?!..
    OK

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Looks like my 2018 X2 is suffering from the bad seal issue, making the sucking sound and air can full of oil. Sending it back to Fox, see what they say. Was built June 2017 so definitely does not have the updated seal. Luckily I kept my Monarch + for a backup!

Giant Reign Advanced 1
    Would you, please, then write here what they've done, what changed,...
    OK

mtbr member
    Oct 2014

the 2019 seal kit fitted, so i assume mainly the dodgy xring has been replaced by an oring.

Giant Reign Advanced 1
    Is there a part number for 2019 seal kit?
    OK

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Is there a part number for 2019 seal kit?
    Yes the same as the 2018 kit, its just been updated iirc.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I was told that the 2019 x2 would not be available aftermarket in the 210x55 size, only as OEM. Can anyone verify that with authority?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lycra View Post
    I was told that the 2019 x2 would not be available aftermarket in the 210x55 size, only as OEM. Can anyone verify that with authority?
    Were you told that by Fox?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by rondre3000 View Post
    Were you told that by Fox?

Fox rep via LBS

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lycra View Post
    Fox rep via LBS
    Contact Fox directly either by phone or email. They are really good bout interacting with end users.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by rondre3000 View Post
    Contact Fox directly either by phone or email. They are really good bout interacting with end users.

Confirmed by Fox, that size is OEM only.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Shock came back today, same issue as others posted earlier. Replaced the quad ring with new updated O-ring. Sucks it had to go back but at least they turned around in 2 days.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Surprised not a lot more youtube videos on full service. Maybe the expensive tools are preventing a lot of diyers

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    The Fox instructions are clear enough but yeah, the tool are too expensive. I'd be willing to spend maybe half the price of the shock on tooling, but to do it properly actually costs more than the shock itself.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    The only thing that's outrageous and i cant find an alternative for is the shaft clamp. Its $80 and hard to justify. I havent been able to find something half the price which works.

Giant Reign Advanced 1

New question here.

The only thing that's outrageous and i cant find an alternative for is the shaft clamp. Its $80 and hard to justify. I havent been able to find something half the price which works.

Shaft clamp 803-00-967 ?

OK

mtbr member
    www.dougal.co.nz

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Nice. If I was closer, I'd be after you for a set. Unfortunately, I don't think it's possible to actually be any further away from NZ than I am currently.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Not that onethe 9mm air shaft clamp
    398-00-416

mtbr member
    Nice. If I was closer, I'd be after you for a set. Unfortunately, I don't think it's possible to actually be any further away from NZ than I am currently.
    I don't make tools for sale normally. Just for our own workshop use.
    www.dougal.co.nz

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Hi, anyone here sent a 2018 X2 to avalanche to be modified? I did mine and Iím glad i did. Shock works very nice compare to stock. Only question is, is it normal for the stanchion to be dried? I remembered before the modification, it used have a little lubrication on it. Also, i noticed that when Iím bouncing at parking lot, the stanchion getís warm to touch. Maybe because of lack of lubrication?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    398-00-416

Find a local machine shop and ask them to make you a 9mm alloy shaft clamp.

Giant Reign Advanced 1
    I don't make tools for sale normally. Just for our own workshop use.

No 416 tool....
    OK

mtbr member
    No 416 tool....
    The 9mm clamp?

They're just normal workshop tools. I didn't consider them worth taking a photo of. I do have a Swedish dude twisting my arm to make a set of clamp blocks though.
    www.dougal.co.nz

Giant Reign Advanced 1
    The 9mm clamp?

They're just normal workshop tools. I didn't consider them worth taking a photo of. I do have a Swedish dude twisting my arm to make a set of clamp blocks though.
    Sorry, misquoted you.

My comment was for:

398-00-416
    OK

Giant Reign Advanced 1
    I thought the most expensive tool for X2 servicing was http://forums.mtbr.com/shocks-suspen...l#post13697382

but now people say about 9mm clamp... Strange, cause even PT has some vice clamp with 9mm for cheap..
    OK

mtbr member
    What is the clamp dia. for what you made - if you don't mind sharing? I see it stamped on the clamp but cant read it. Haven't been able to find the info to make my own clamp for the air can. My neighbor has a wood shop and i was going to DIY one using a block of ash.

For the 9mm clamp i was going to buy the RS clamp set - $35.00 which is has a 9mm clamp from what i read. Much cheaper than fox.

https://cdn.bike24.net/i/p/0/8/132680_00_c.jpg

Only part i am hesitant on for DIY is the hand bleed but going to try it and see what happens, if it doesn't work then I will send it out for a vac. bleed.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by travman View Post
    What is the clamp dia. for what you made - if you don't mind sharing? I see it stamped on the clamp but cant read it. Haven't been able to find the info to make my own clamp for the air can. My neighbor has a wood shop and i was going to DIY one using a block of ash.

For the 9mm clamp i was going to buy the RS clamp set - $35.00 which is has a 9mm clamp from what i read. Much cheaper than fox.

https://cdn.bike24.net/i/p/0/8/132680_00_c.jpg

Only part i am hesitant on for DIY is the hand bleed but going to try it and see what happens, if it doesn't work then I will send it out for a vac. bleed.
    The tricky part is the clamps need to be wide enough to reach outside the air can and fit in your vise. It gets real tight on the shorter stroke models too. The rockshox clamps are too narrow to work on most vice/shock combos

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Here's the clamps I use and a rockshox clamp next to it (brass)so by all means make them but make sure they are wide enough and narrow enough
    Fox Float X2 shock discussion-img_1007.jpgFox Float X2 shock discussion-img_1008.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fox Float X2 shock discussion-img_1004.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyC7 View Post
    Here's the clamps I use and a rockshox clamp next to it (brass)so by all means make them but make sure they are wide enough and narrow enough
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1007.JPG 
Views:	265 
Size:	96.4 KB 
ID:	1205390Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1008.JPG 
Views:	119 
Size:	86.5 KB 
ID:	1205392
    Thanks for the photos - i see what you mean by the width and thickness being critical, gives me something to go by when making the clamp. Still trying to locate the hole size for the air can clamp, would like to have everything ready before I start the rebuild so not trying to make these things on the fly.

thanks again for the photos!

Giant Reign Advanced 1
    Could you please paint on your photos to show - what thicknes and width are important?
    Thank you!
    OK

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Could you please paint on your photos to show - what thicknes and width are important?
    Thank you!
    The depth of the shaft clamp. It cannot be too deep from top to bottom (hole drilled through it1) but it needs to be deep side to side (with the hole in the middle measured out). If you open one up are you 100% sure you will know what you are doing? I don't meant to sound rude but these are pretty basic questions you are asking about.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    How rude! LOL.

Please give us an update on your rebuild. Looking forward to it

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    57mm wide and 16mm tall for the clamps would be sweet, mine are about 55x19 but s little extra room is nice. Sorry I keep forgetting to measure the air can although it is pretty easy to slide the outer can and get to it!

mtbr member
    Jul 2018

DIY 2017 float x2 dissasembly

So I decided to rebuild my shock on my own. It made the same sound everyone else has experienced and felt the exact same way. It had the Sloshy and slurpy sound when the shock is compressing and rebounding. Here are my findings hopefully to help everyone learn about whats going on, and open up more discussion. I want to point out that I'm not a professional shop but a mechanic by trade and I don't have the professional tooling fox has to do rebuilds.

https://youtu.be/I0gKowl6yNM

This was the initial sound the shock made. I tried to ride it for a few hours and the problem persisted. The sound did not go away and Compression/rebound settings did not work. If I removed the shock and shook it, I could hear fluid sloshing around inside. For the process I followed the fox directions for dissassembly.

2016-2018 FLOAT X2 Rebuild | Bike Help Center | FOX

To remove the negative air seal head I used the park tool mentioned before.

Fox Float X2 shock discussion-img_8029.jpg

Now things got interesting because I didn't have the proper press tools so I had to get creative. i had wood laying around to cut up and use for the outer air sleeve.

Fox Float X2 shock discussion-img_8028.jpg
    Fox Float X2 shock discussion-img_8032.jpg
    Now for the 9mm shaft I used wood again to make another clamp.

Fox Float X2 shock discussion-img_8027.jpg
    Fox Float X2 shock discussion-img_8031.jpg

once I had the shaft free I checked again to see where the noise was coming from and again it was still inside the piston. There was no sign an oil leak into the air can so I had to dig deeper.

https://youtu.be/uz9AGLp05bE

It was time to take apart the bearing assembly. After the ifp was relieved of all air pressure, I removed the bearing assembly/piston and noticed that oil was escaping pressurized. It leads me to believe that the failure of the shock is the ifp o ring and allowing air to leak into the damper oil.

https://youtu.be/DDHnAiE65MM

I'm confused at this point because everyone who had the shock serviced by fox points to a different part number on the service invoice. The part that appears to have gone bad here is just the o ring around the Ifp. Does anybody have any more info about this or is my situation a rare occurrence? I think somebody had mentioned that Ifp was leaking but others said the x ring in the main bearing was leaking oil into the air can. let me know your thoughts.
    Last edited by VENOM2034; 07-23-2018 at 11:47 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    When i sent mine in for this issue they told me that they've "installed updated oring on bearing assembly"
    Not sure of accuracy but thats what they told me when i asked.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    When i sent mine in for this issue they told me that they've "installed updated oring on bearing assembly"

then only other way is that the bearing seal is in fact actually bad and air is getting in from the air can. I opened mine expecting to see oil in the air can but ultimately it was air in the dampener.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by VENOM2034 View Post
    I'm confused at this point because everyone who had the shock serviced by fox points to a different part number on the service invoice. The part that appears to have gone bad here is just the o ring around the Ifp. Does anybody have any more info about this or is my situation a rare occurrence? I think somebody had mentioned that Ifp was leaking but others said the x ring in the main bearing was leaking oil into the air can. let me know your thoughts.
    The oil is bubbling as air has entered the damper from the air can.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    The oil is bubbling as air has entered the damper from the air can.
    Got it. I had it backwards. I installed the rebuild kit and it was good to go noise went away and no more air in the shock. Total time was 2 hours while I figured things out and took pictures/videos.

Giant Reign Advanced 1
    pictures/videos.
    would you upload it?..
    OK

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Sounds accurate to me, bearing assembly is another name for the seal head that is usually the culprit

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    I forgot to ask earlier and wanted to make sure. In the rebuild kit were two seals that look identical. Is the black one the updated seal for the bearing assembly?

Fox Float X2 shock discussion-fb9084bf-6e77-4f42-bec3-27def3f4b041.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I forgot to ask earlier and wanted to make sure. In the rebuild kit were two seals that look identical. Is the black one the updated seal for the bearing assembly?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FB9084BF-6E77-4F42-BEC3-27DEF3F4B041.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	133.5 KB 
ID:	1209809
    No the white one is, the black one is the bottom out bumper.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Is this a bad seal? Shock is never used and settings are close to recommendations.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    If the compression/rebound settings donít do anything then thatís pretty clear itíll need the seal updated. Take it out and shake it, if you hear fluid sloshing around itís got air in the piston.

Giant Reign Advanced 1
    is there some easy way just to remove air?
    OK

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Easy if you can rebuild it. Thereís no way to release the air without stopping it from happening again. I tried it the first time around without swapping the seal and on the first few cycles it leaked air again.

Giant Reign Advanced 1
    One question about settings (I still can't set it in best):
    what to change if bike throws me up every time on line of roots and small rocks?
    I shoul dial LSR/HSR more to closed position (almost fully clockwise) so shock would return slowlier, right?

p.s. sorry for bad english.
    OK

mtbr member
    It could be few reasons for this.

Your pressure or compression can be too high so the shock doesn't absorb as much and pings off rocks and roots.

Otherwise it's rebound that's too high. You can do a curb test by riding off a curb and seeing how shock responds. It should stop after the first rebound and not cycle more than once.

All of this of course takes into the account you're riding standing and not sitting down all the time.

Giant Reign Advanced 1
    Thank you.

Problem appears when I'm sitting..
    OK

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    what to change if bike throws me up every time on line of roots and small rocks?
    I shoul dial LSR/HSR more to closed position (almost fully clockwise) so shock would return slowlier, right?
    If you are getting bucked on repeated hits in close proximity could be the rebound is too slow and shock is packing down. If it's single hits bucking you then likely rebound is too fast. I would suggest finding a line where the problem is showing up and ride it back to back, changing the settings one at a time in between until you nail it. You'll know pretty quick if going one direction makes it worse or better.

mtbr member

p.s. sorry for bad english.
    Have a work through the guide in here and tell me if it helps:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/shocks-suspen...e-1084380.html
    https://www.shockcraft.co.nz/technic...on-setup-guide
    www.dougal.co.nz

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Fox have a retro fit kit available to upgrade the air can and bottom out bumper to 2019 specs. Its not cheap though as it has inner and outer air cans, a new negative air seal head, replacement shaft, replacement bearing housing, new bottom out bumper and a new eyelet.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Fox have a retro fit kit available to upgrade the air can and bottom out bumper to 2019 specs. Its not cheap though as it has inner and outer air cans, a new negative air seal head, replacement shaft, replacement bearing housing, new bottom out bumper and a new eyelet.
    would you have a link or part number Rick by chance ?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by karpiel View Post
    would you have a link or part number Rick by chance ?
    What size is your X2?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    What size is your X2?
    222 x 70

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by karpiel View Post
    222 x 70
    803-01-296.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    803-01-296.
    cheers Rick !

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Can anyone steer me towards info about fitting a 2018 Specialized X2 to a 2016 Enduro comp? Need to make sure it fits by canít find much info...thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Fox posted the 2018 to 2019 conversion kit part numbers on their website, part way down right before the assembly drawings: https://www.ridefox.com/fox17/help.php?m=bike&id=864

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by xOffxThexLipx View Post
    Can anyone steer me towards info about fitting a 2018 Specialized X2 to a 2016 Enduro comp? Need to make sure it fits by canít find much info...thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmanxj View Post
    Fox posted the 2018 to 2019 conversion kit part numbers on their website, part way down right before the assembly drawings: https://www.ridefox.com/fox17/help.php?m=bike&id=864
    Also, Bikeyoke makes upper links for the Enduro to run non-stock shocks. I'm not sure if this could help you or not.

https://www.bikeyoke.de/en/bikeyokes...alized-enduro/

Giant Reign Advanced 1
    200x57

1) to upgrade from 2018 to 2019 should I buy 803-01-317 + 803-01-294 or only 803-01-294?
    2) can't find any online-store with those kits..
    OK

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    200x57

1) to upgrade from 2018 to 2019 should I buy 803-01-317 + 803-01-294 or only 803-01-294?
    2) can't find any online-store with those kits..
    You need both parts.

Giant Reign Advanced 1
    I'm confused - I just can't find it at any online-stores...
    OK

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I'm confused - I just can't find it at any online-stores...
    They are new parts. It will take a while to filter down to the online stores.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015

Rick could you please let me know why Fox changed damper oil in x2 from 10wt red to 5wt clear ?
    and is it possible to use maxima 5wt plush or maxima 5wt racing fork oil in fox x2 ? because its cheaper and more accessible .

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    I donít think the cst and vi values will match the required oil from fox.

mtbr member
    Maxima oils have a better VI than Fox R3. That stuff is nothing special at all. Fox R2 is much better.
    www.dougal.co.nz

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    I think the best match would be:

Fox R3 5W (damper oil) 15.8cst @40C / 4.07cst @100 c ====> Maxima racing fork oil 5W 16.2cst @40 c / 4.4cst @100 c

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    you wont feel big difference. My dhx2 used fox 10wt. While serviced silkolene 2,5wt was used. Now I have to add more clicks but shock stopped spiking.

Looks like thinner oil allows you (light person) to use more shim controlled damping. Also oil temprature thickness change is lower.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nikon255 View Post
    Looks like thinner oil allows you (light person) to use more shim controlled damping. Also oil temprature thickness change is lower.
    Bingo. Which is why other suspension companies were using ~15 cSt oil for 2 decades before Fox was.
    Their use of 7wt and then recommending 10wt in service was bizarre.
    www.dougal.co.nz

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Bingo. Which is why other suspension companies were using ~15 cSt oil for 2 decades before Fox was.
    Their use of 7wt and then recommending 10wt in service was bizarre.
    btw I feel like supergliss 100k gives damping by its resistance for shearing. When thinner oil is used for bath, fork even rebounds faster. Am I haunted or thats true?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nikon255 View Post
    btw I feel like supergliss 100k gives damping by its resistance for shearing. When thinner oil is used for bath, fork even rebounds faster. Am I haunted or thats true?
    In the warm it's good and the slipperiness beats the fluid shear. At 0C the extra damping is significant. It's a few thousand cSt at that point.
    Which is why we do Polar Lubes for winter use.
    www.dougal.co.nz

mtbr member
    I was thinking of upgrading my X2 with lockout lever and having an oil change in the process.

Guy who works at Fox recommends stock 10WT oil saying it doesn't really make a difference for heavier person (I'm 88-90kg). Would that be correct or would lighter oil still be "smoother" even if I compensate by using more damping. My riding temperatures range from 10-35įC depending on the season.

Giant Reign Advanced 1
    ///////
    OK

Giant Reign Advanced 1
    What settings will help to prevent bottom-outs?
    HSC ? Which way?
    OK

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Clockwise

Giant Reign Advanced 1
    What can be the reasons if shock lost pressure during one short ride? What to check? What to change?
    From 160 to 120.

Fox Float X2 (2018)
    OK

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I am thinking of having the clamps 3d printed and see if this works, would be fairly cheap. Any idea on the actual diameter of opening needed for 9mm and air sleve clamp? Also any idea what oil weight is used in 2017 x2 with light tune and what could be used as alternative for fox overpriced oil?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ahmad22 View Post
    O-ring 029-08-123.
    8.5mm id x 2.5mm cs
    This o-ring failure is the cause of the problem and its in bearing assembly.
    I have the same problem and there is not any fox service center or bike suspension service where i live so i built required tools in machining shop for very cheaper prices than fox ... and i will rebuild it myself at home . I upgraded my shock on giant reign with this shock last year and now it needs a rebuilt .
    Here is the photo of the o-ring
    would you mind sharing actual diameter of the opening for 9mm and air sleve clamps?
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2014

Fox X2 Performance - 3rd Rebuild

Hi all,

I was wondering if you could please help me make a decision - persist with X2 or replace with a different shock.

I have a Fox X2 Performance 216x63mm that came stock on my Intense Tracer. It has the 250 PSI aircan limit. I weigh 110kg ready to ride, and according to the Intense owners manual, 250PSI suits a 104kg rider, so I am exceeding (slightly) the limits of the design in that regard.

The shock has just been rebuilt under warranty for the third time. Each rebuild has been to fix the squelching/lack of rebound issue, then two months later its back again.

Do you think that the damper failure has anything to do with heavy rider weight?

Apparently this time they have changed to the new "updated" seals so that it wont ingest air into the damper and squelch again. I assume that this is the change from the X to O ring?

So assuming that they have replaced all of the seals with the updated ones, am I likely to get a year or two of problem free running?

Otherwise, I was thinking of buying a Cane Creek Coil IL and selling the rebuilt shock.

Thanks in Advance.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast