Fox Float CTD Evolition 2014 vs. Float DPS Evol 2016- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Fox Float CTD Evolition 2014 vs. Float DPS Evol 2016

Hi,

On Giant Trance I have worn out Fox Float CTD Evolution shock. I have an opportunity to buy newer shock - Float DPS Evol 2016 with the tune made for Giant Trance for good price.
    I know CTD Evolution is not really an example of a good shock and my need a complete rebuild.
    Should I go with DPS Evol?
    Would DSP Evol be a noticeable change?
    Giant Trance 1 27.5, 2014 with FIT4 upgrade

mtbr member
    Get a mcleod or a monarch. While it shoukd be better than a ctd, it still has similar issues with spiking.

My dps was terrible and I wouldn't recommend it. If you insist on one, I have a basically brand new 7.875x2 I'd gladly sell you for cheap!

CEB
    The beauty surrounds
    Try a Cane Creek DBinline. Fine shock but prone to failure. Even with the failures, SO MUCH better than the Fox products (IMO).

mtbr member
    IDK. Lots of riders around here on DPS and happy with it, including me. With the limited data I have (I know ~15 riders well and maybe another 20) it's hard to know what's significantly better or more reliable. If anything stands out as being more problematic it would Spec Brain shocks and their Ohlins stuff, but again, the sample size is pretty small.

One thing with Fox shocks is if you want to do more than simple air can maintenance, you need to be set up to pressurize the IFP. There is the official way to do this and hacks that largely accomplish the same. Either way, you need to invest some time and effort to get set up.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    The fox's are reliable shocks, I think they always have been. I want a shock that does more than just not break down though.

I dont feel that fox shocks have quality damping compared to other shocks on the market. The only way to really tell a difference is to blow a bunch of money changing shocks on the same bike. I understand that not many people are willing to do that, but those of us who have, seem to appreciate the other stuff thats not fox.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    Get a mcleod or a monarch. While it shoukd be better than a ctd, it still has similar issues with spiking.

My dps was terrible and I wouldn't recommend it. If you insist on one, I have a basically brand new 7.875x2 I'd gladly sell you for cheap!

Whatís the tune on your DPS? I have been looking at one but not sure if itís the right tune for a trance.

Iíd also be interested in your DPS. PM me.

Team Blindspot
    I am in the same boat with a CTD. What about an Avalanche Speed Senssitive Damper upgrade to you CTD? Anyone have experience with Avalanche tuning?
    Astigmatic Visionary