Fox Float air sleeves- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Fox Float air sleeves

Are there only two different air sleeves available for the Float shock - standard and high volume? I feel like I need something right between the two...

I did see the thread on shimming the high volume can, but wanted to explore factory options first. Thanks.
    Last edited by experiment70; 01-30-2011 at 12:39 PM.

mtbr member
    Could you be a bit more specific?

I guess you are referring to the RP23?

Instead of shimming the HV can, it would be easier to send it to get PUSHed and be sure to get exactly what you need. (Probably significantly better end result that just shimming the can too)

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    2009 Fox Float R, 7.875" i2i, 2.25" stroke.

I'm sure Push does a great job, better than I can do, but I like getting as far as I can on my own before sending parts off to the experts.

mtbr member
    What is wrong with your shock that you are trying to correct?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    As far as I know, there are only 2 size sleeves available. I read in the Turner forum that Fox now has their own "shims" available. Give Fox a call to find out if these shims are available.

mtbr member
    Shimming the shock seriously takes less than 10 minutes and is free. Sending it to anybody is more time consuming and expensive than shimming it. Plus the shim is completely removable and in no way is permanent.

I can also tell you that the shim most definetly makes a difference. I checked my rear shock before doing this. With Pro-Pedal off and 190 psi in the shock, if I dropped myself on the seat with the bike standing up, I could easily bottom the shock. This is with a 2 inch travel RP2 shock on my 2011 Reign 2. I put the shim in the shock and set the pressure back to 190 psi. Doing exactly the same thing, I could only get the shock to use 1.5 inches of travel. That is a 1.5 inch difference in travel at the rear wheel. But it really didnt change the way the shock felt during the first half of the travel. And by doing it yourself, you can expeiremnt with different shim sizes to find what suits your riding style best. I'm pretty sure I could even do it with the shock on the bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Can't you just reduce the air volume of the large can with oil?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by wheatgerm
    As far as I know, there are only 2 size sleeves available. I read in the Turner forum that Fox now has their own "shims" available. Give Fox a call to find out if these shims are available.
    Cool. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by fsrxc
    My understanding is that the oil won't stay in there indefinitely, thus slowly changing your spring rate.

PMK
    mtbr member
    While they have fallen out of style with the moto-cross guys, this entire concept mimics a set of subtanks.

Unfortunately though, Fox did not do as Ross Maeda did when he designed subtanks and install metering needles.

If this had been done, or the inner body had replaceable jets, which may be a doable item but I haven't bothered to measure it, this would add the benefit of decent bottoming control, along with rapid succession brake bumps not skipping the rear tire.

A double chamber setup is not just about volume, but rather how quickly the main pressure rise dumps into the second chamber.

PK

I dig trails!
    Quote Originally Posted by fsrxc

When putting too much oil in the air cannister, the oil can migrate to the negative air chamber and ruin small bump activity.

P

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.P
    When putting too much oil in the air cannister, the oil can migrate to the negative air chamber and ruin small bump activity.

P
    You can put oil into the outer sleeve. Assuming the air hole is above the oil, the oil will never make it to the piston inside.
    Now getting the oil into the outer sleeve while screwing it on is another matter.

Members who have read this thread: 0