Fox EVOL canister upgrade for 2014 FOX Float X CTD- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2015

Fox EVOL canister upgrade for 2014 FOX Float X CTD

Hi all, hope everyone is getting plenty of saddle time with the good weather round the place, well here in Australia anyway. So after a lot of reading and talking to folks who have used one I grabbed a FOX EVOL canister to upgrade my 2014 Float X CTD on my Pivot Mach 6. I grabbed the fox instead of the Vorsprung corset simply based on price. It was $175 from my LBS as opposed to $180 CAD plus postage.

Anyway I was keen to see what sort of difference it made and wanted to quantify it in some way rather than just "it feels better". So I downloaded a seismometer app. I then put some foam (to isolate any frame vibrations) around my non drive side chain stay (is it still a chain stay if it's non drive side????) and strapped my phone onto the chain stay with double sided tape and cable ties.

I then headed into the National park and found a nice section of trail to ride with some nice little bumps and rocks about 40m long. The test was conducted in the standing position, no pedalling, with the shock settings pretty much factory recommendations and with the CTD set to D (full open). I recorded the run with the app then headed back to the carpark and swapped the old canister for the EVOL canister. I couldn't find any instructions on how to do it anywhere so I pretty much followed the Vorsprung corset guide and it went fine, really easy. Because of the extra volume you have to add more pressure into the shock to achieve your normal sag setting. Vorsprung recommend 20-30% more so I scientifically split the difference and added 25% to bring the pressure up from 175PSI to 220PSI and got the sag pretty much bang on.

It was then back to my section of trail and repeat the test. On the way to the "testing ground" the shock felt different but I wouldn't say it was a huge change. There is a very very slight bob but I only noticed it because I was looking for it. After the test, when I saw the results I was pretty confused. I had expected a smoother plot given that the shock is supposed to have better small bump compliance but that wasn't the case. It can be seen much better on the app than in the crappy excel plot I put together but it is there. Then after a bit of thinking I believe the change is because the shock is more active. Eg it's stroke is starting easier and earlier and then it is getting the wheel back down to provide traction much quicker. I may be way off in my thinking so any engineers out there feel free to correct me!

Before
    Fox EVOL canister upgrade for 2014 FOX Float X CTD-before1.jpg

After
    Fox EVOL canister upgrade for 2014 FOX Float X CTD-after1.jpg

After the test I then conducted the "how's it feel" test and headed out onto the trail and did about 17kms to see what it's like. For most of the ride I left the shock in the Descend position and only changed it to Climb at the end to see if it still works given that some reports say that the CTD function doesn't work. I found it definitely still works. The canister did make the ride smoother but I wouldn't say it was a massive change. I did find on a technical climb and the return descent down the same section it felt really good. The climb was nice and I felt like I had more traction, on the descent I aimed for the bigger rocks and drops and let go of the brakes and it really evened the bumps out nicely.

So was it worth it?? I think it is but I'll need more time on it before I can say so categorically. Given that I left the settings the same for the 2 runs and only changed the pressure to get the correct sag it might take a a bit of tweaking of settings to get it right and get the most out of it. I'll report back when I've had more time on it.

Anyway I hope this is helpful. Cheers Scott.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I really liked the EVOL can on my CTD, I found I needed to tune the negative volume side of the can as well as the volume in the positive.
    I had to run 205 psi in the can instead of my 160 and that caused a massive mid stroke harshness and I could not get my 25% sag ever it stayed at 30, so buy tuning both sides I was able to get my 25% sag and only run 175 psi in the positive and its really good now, I have pictures explaining what I did on the last page of the Vorsprung Corset forum in MTBR

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by kelstr View Post
    I really liked the EVOL can on my CTD, I found I needed to tune the negative volume side of the can as well as the volume in the positive.
    I had to run 205 psi in the can instead of my 160 and that caused a massive mid stroke harshness and I could not get my 25% sag ever it stayed at 30, so buy tuning both sides I was able to get my 25% sag and only run 175 psi in the positive and its really good now, I have pictures explaining what I did on the last page of the Vorsprung Corset forum in MTBR
    Thanks for the tip. Can I get you to repost the link. The one you put up earlier went astray. I'm keen to check it out. Cheers, Scott.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Vorsprung Corset
    Started by sdemars, 02-20-2015

Its 70 or so threads down in this suspension forum, my pics are on PG 10 but the whole thread is a really good read, you get to see a lot of the guys on there are having set up problems and need to tune both air sides, there is a huge difference on the way this can works with all the different leverage curves on the different bikes, not to mention the different body weights and frame sizes, its not just a one size fits all.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by kelstr View Post
    Vorsprung Corset
    Started by sdemars, 02-20-2015

Its 70 or so threads down in this suspension forum, my pics are on PG 10 but the whole thread is a really good read, you get to see a lot of the guys on there are having set up problems and need to tune both air sides, there is a huge difference on the way this can works with all the different leverage curves on the different bikes, not to mention the different body weights and frame sizes, its not just a one size fits all.
    Cool thanks mate looks like I've got some reading to do. Cheers, Scott