Fox DHX-A 5.0 Problems Just got worse- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Fox DHX-A 5.0 Problems Just got worse

From yesterdays thread: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=204677

I thought I was just looking for a air sleeve seak kit. Fox was sending one, so I wanted to get the shock apart and cleaned, ready for the new seals.

The shock comes apart as it is described in the Fox docs. But, take a look at the inside of the lower part of the air sleeve. There is an internal metal ring, that is a permanent part of the air sleeve and separates the o-rings and teflon rings from the dust seal. That metal ring is actually bent downwards and was the cause of the wiper seal being forced out of the air sleeve.

Fox gave me an RA for a warranty repair, but there is no way I will have it for this weekend!

Anybody got a spare DHX-A sitting around?
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Man that sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by 67fastback
    From yesterdays thread: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=204677

I thought I was just looking for a air sleeve seak kit. Fox was sending one, so I wanted to get the shock apart and cleaned, ready for the new seals.

The shock comes apart as it is described in the Fox docs. But, take a look at the inside of the lower part of the air sleeve. There is an internal metal ring, that is a permanent part of the air sleeve and separates the o-rings and teflon rings from the dust seal. That metal ring is actually bent downwards and was the cause of the wiper seal being forced out of the air sleeve.

Fox gave me an RA for a warranty repair, but there is no way I will have it for this weekend!

Anybody got a spare DHX-A sitting around?
    These new fox shocks just don't seem very reliable.

Dave

P.S. Does your screen name refer to a 67 Mustang fastback? I used to own one of those....

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by MightySchmoePong
    These new fox shocks just don't seem very reliable.

Dave

P.S. Does your screen name refer to a 67 Mustang fastback? I used to own one of those....
    Yep, I've got one in the garage now. Had a similar one long time ago. They are great cars.

Oct 2005
    I was recently given a choice of a DHX air or coil and I went with the latter. One reason being that many have found the air to not ride as well as the coil, even with the weight penalty. The air needs a lot of tweaking to get to perform right on Turners, at the least. Some have even installed an RP3 sleeve.

The other issue is that I'm pretty scared of the reliability of the current Fox air shox. I'll be adding another pound to my riding weight, but if it means I'm going to enjoy the feel of the bike better, I'm in.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Lip issues

Had the same issue with mine back in the spring. Fox set out a new can and no more problems. Shock has been good since then. I think they got a bad batch of cans from their supplier.

Bob W.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    I was recently given a choice of a DHX air or coil and I went with the latter. One reason being that many have found the air to not ride as well as the coil, even with the weight penalty. The air needs a lot of tweaking to get to perform right on Turners, at the least. Some have even installed an RP3 sleeve.

The other issue is that I'm pretty scared of the reliability of the current Fox air shox. I'll be adding another pound to my riding weight, but if it means I'm going to enjoy the feel of the bike better, I'm in.
    Good point, wish I would have considered that before swaping them out. If I destroy this one its the coil version for sure. Besides, I'll get a litte respect back, my 5spot build came in way to light for many on the Turner board.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob W
    Had the same issue with mine back in the spring. Fox set out a new can and no more problems. Shock has been good since then. I think they got a bad batch of cans from their supplier.

Bob W.
    Interesting to know its not an isolated problem. It is a very odd type of failure, the metal lip is actually sheared away from the wall of the air canister. But that kind of stuff does happen. I don't think the Fox support person understood what I was describing.

Nothing here
    That's happened to my DHX A. I think it is more common than you think. At least they fixed the shock under warranty. I haven't installed mine back onto my bike since I got it though. I think I'm sticking with coil even though it weighs a lot more.

Members who have read this thread: 0