Fox DHX 5.0 with 5th Element coil spring- Mtbr.com

Nov 2005

Fox DHX 5.0 with 5th Element coil spring

Can I use Fox DHX 5.0 with 5th Element coil spring?

TNC
    noMAD man

Here's what'll happen.

Quote Originally Posted by VentanaNewbie
    Can I use Fox DHX 5.0 with 5th Element coil spring?
    The Progressive spring is the tiniest bit larger than the Fox spring in its inner diameter. Under full compression the coil will flex a tiny bit and rub the DHX piggyback. I think it might be possible to make some kind of upper and lower spring sleeve for the Fox that would keep that slightly larger spring centered, but heck, this is a $400 shock. I didn't want to experiment over a $25 spring.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    A manitou swinger spring is exactly the same size as it's 5th Element counterpart. In addition it's much cheaper than either Fox or Progressive.
    Quote Originally Posted by TNC
    The Progressive spring is the tiniest bit larger than the Fox spring in its inner diameter. Under full compression the coil will flex a tiny bit and rub the DHX piggyback. I think it might be possible to make some kind of upper and lower spring sleeve for the Fox that would keep that slightly larger spring centered, but heck, this is a $400 shock. I didn't want to experiment over a $25 spring.

Bodhisattva
    Yup.
    I took one ride with one and did some pretty good damage to the DHX piggyback. I highly recommend not doing it. As Ti is harder than alu, it wouldn't take long to eat through that reservoir which is under a good deal of pressure and then BAM.

Nov 2005
    Thanks a lot guys!

lidless ascender
    Hmmm, it seems I'm one of the luckiest guys around I've been using a 5th Element with a Manitou spring for a year with no problems, switched recently to a DHX 5.0 shock and put the same Manitou spring on and have no problems with the setup.There is 5mm space between the piggy and the spring.
    I forgot to mention I'm using a spring made for 2.75" stroke shocks on a 2.5" stroke shock.A longer spring should be even more prone to flexing, but still no problems.
    But I do agree, if you're not 100% confident the setup will work, just buy an original spring from Fox, it's still cheaper than messing up your shock.

Marko

TNC
    noMAD man

Interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by problematiks
    Hmmm, it seems I'm one of the luckiest guys around I've been using a 5th Element with a Manitou spring for a year with no problems, switched recently to a DHX 5.0 shock and put the same Manitou spring on and have no problems with the setup.There is 5mm space between the piggy and the spring.
    I forgot to mention I'm using a spring made for 2.75" stroke shocks on a 2.5" stroke shock.A longer spring should be even more prone to flexing, but still no problems.
    But I do agree, if you're not 100% confident the setup will work, just buy an original spring from Fox, it's still cheaper than messing up your shock.

Marko
    I've been wondering about this. You've been the first to mention here about running a Manitou Swinger spring on a DHX. I was wondering if the Progressive springs and the Manitou springs were "exact" at least as it applies to the inner and outer diameter dimensions. If these springs are not exact carbon copies of each other, then perhaps a Swinger spring would work. Also I was wondering why Progressive springs are a little bit bigger ID. I ran a Fox spring on a 5th E, and it seemed to work fine, so I was wondering why Progressive used the slightly larger spring. Progressive does seem to have some "in-between" sizes that Fox doesn't have, which is why I tried one...wanted a 425lb. spring.

Hey, on your mention of running that DHX shock with the same Manitou spring that you had on the 5th, was this on the same bike?

lidless ascender
    Hey, on your mention of running that DHX shock with the same Manitou spring that you had on the 5th, was this on the same bike?
    No, it's not the same bike.Just lucky that the old one fit
    I had the 5th on my '04 Norco Shore (and before that on a SC Bullit, but I was using the original spring then) but I recently got a '06 Kona Stinky Primo frame with the DHX 5.0 on.I changed the spring because the stock spring was so stiff it barely moved when I sat on the bike . I don't know why Kona specs springs stiff like that.OK, I did get a large frame, which has a stiffer spring than the medium (I'm 5'9" and medium frames from other brands usually fit me, but Konas have a short cockpit) and I weigh about 145lbs, so I'm kind of a featherweight, but still...I had to go from the stock 550 spring to a 350 for the shock to work properly, which is a bit much.And I still think I could get away with a 325 or even a 300lb spring.
    Anyway, the Manitou spring fit perfectly on the DHX spring sleeves - no wobbly spring or something like that.

Marko

Rocket Scientist
    So get a Manitou Swinger Ti spring for a DHX 5.0 and your Ok?

lidless ascender
    Quote Originally Posted by bpatterson6
    So get a Manitou Swinger Ti spring for a DHX 5.0 and your Ok?
    If their titanium springs have the same dimensions as their steel springs (and I don't know why they would't) it would be worth trying, especially if you can put the spring on your bike before buying and cycle the suspension a few times just to be sure.As I said, I tried their spring on both a DHX 5.0 and a 5th Element and it worked well for me, but I could be just lucky

Marko

Members who have read this thread: 0