Fox DHX 5.0 with 5th Element coil spring- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    20

    Fox DHX 5.0 with 5th Element coil spring

    Can I use Fox DHX 5.0 with 5th Element coil spring?

  2. #2
    TNC
    TNC is offline
    noMAD man
    Reputation: TNC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,059

    Here's what'll happen.

    Quote Originally Posted by VentanaNewbie
    Can I use Fox DHX 5.0 with 5th Element coil spring?
    The Progressive spring is the tiniest bit larger than the Fox spring in its inner diameter. Under full compression the coil will flex a tiny bit and rub the DHX piggyback. I think it might be possible to make some kind of upper and lower spring sleeve for the Fox that would keep that slightly larger spring centered, but heck, this is a $400 shock. I didn't want to experiment over a $25 spring.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: lebikerboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,740
    A manitou swinger spring is exactly the same size as it's 5th Element counterpart. In addition it's much cheaper than either Fox or Progressive.
    Quote Originally Posted by TNC
    The Progressive spring is the tiniest bit larger than the Fox spring in its inner diameter. Under full compression the coil will flex a tiny bit and rub the DHX piggyback. I think it might be possible to make some kind of upper and lower spring sleeve for the Fox that would keep that slightly larger spring centered, but heck, this is a $400 shock. I didn't want to experiment over a $25 spring.

  4. #4
    Bodhisattva
    Reputation: The Squeaky Wheel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    10,708
    Quote Originally Posted by TNC
    The Progressive spring is the tiniest bit larger than the Fox spring in its inner diameter. Under full compression the coil will flex a tiny bit and rub the DHX piggyback. I think it might be possible to make some kind of upper and lower spring sleeve for the Fox that would keep that slightly larger spring centered, but heck, this is a $400 shock. I didn't want to experiment over a $25 spring.
    Yup.
    I took one ride with one and did some pretty good damage to the DHX piggyback. I highly recommend not doing it. As Ti is harder than alu, it wouldn't take long to eat through that reservoir which is under a good deal of pressure and then BAM.

  5. #5

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    20
    Thanks a lot guys!

  6. #6
    lidless ascender
    Reputation: problematiks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    811
    Hmmm, it seems I'm one of the luckiest guys around I've been using a 5th Element with a Manitou spring for a year with no problems, switched recently to a DHX 5.0 shock and put the same Manitou spring on and have no problems with the setup.There is 5mm space between the piggy and the spring.
    I forgot to mention I'm using a spring made for 2.75" stroke shocks on a 2.5" stroke shock.A longer spring should be even more prone to flexing, but still no problems.
    But I do agree, if you're not 100% confident the setup will work, just buy an original spring from Fox, it's still cheaper than messing up your shock.

    Marko

  7. #7
    TNC
    TNC is offline
    noMAD man
    Reputation: TNC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,059

    Interesting.

    Quote Originally Posted by problematiks
    Hmmm, it seems I'm one of the luckiest guys around I've been using a 5th Element with a Manitou spring for a year with no problems, switched recently to a DHX 5.0 shock and put the same Manitou spring on and have no problems with the setup.There is 5mm space between the piggy and the spring.
    I forgot to mention I'm using a spring made for 2.75" stroke shocks on a 2.5" stroke shock.A longer spring should be even more prone to flexing, but still no problems.
    But I do agree, if you're not 100% confident the setup will work, just buy an original spring from Fox, it's still cheaper than messing up your shock.

    Marko
    I've been wondering about this. You've been the first to mention here about running a Manitou Swinger spring on a DHX. I was wondering if the Progressive springs and the Manitou springs were "exact" at least as it applies to the inner and outer diameter dimensions. If these springs are not exact carbon copies of each other, then perhaps a Swinger spring would work. Also I was wondering why Progressive springs are a little bit bigger ID. I ran a Fox spring on a 5th E, and it seemed to work fine, so I was wondering why Progressive used the slightly larger spring. Progressive does seem to have some "in-between" sizes that Fox doesn't have, which is why I tried one...wanted a 425lb. spring.

    Hey, on your mention of running that DHX shock with the same Manitou spring that you had on the 5th, was this on the same bike?

  8. #8
    lidless ascender
    Reputation: problematiks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    811
    Quote Originally Posted by TNC
    Hey, on your mention of running that DHX shock with the same Manitou spring that you had on the 5th, was this on the same bike?
    No, it's not the same bike.Just lucky that the old one fit
    I had the 5th on my '04 Norco Shore (and before that on a SC Bullit, but I was using the original spring then) but I recently got a '06 Kona Stinky Primo frame with the DHX 5.0 on.I changed the spring because the stock spring was so stiff it barely moved when I sat on the bike . I don't know why Kona specs springs stiff like that.OK, I did get a large frame, which has a stiffer spring than the medium (I'm 5'9" and medium frames from other brands usually fit me, but Konas have a short cockpit) and I weigh about 145lbs, so I'm kind of a featherweight, but still...I had to go from the stock 550 spring to a 350 for the shock to work properly, which is a bit much.And I still think I could get away with a 325 or even a 300lb spring.
    Anyway, the Manitou spring fit perfectly on the DHX spring sleeves - no wobbly spring or something like that.

    Marko

  9. #9
    Rocket Scientist
    Reputation: bpatterson6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,010
    So get a Manitou Swinger Ti spring for a DHX 5.0 and your Ok?

  10. #10
    lidless ascender
    Reputation: problematiks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    811
    Quote Originally Posted by bpatterson6
    So get a Manitou Swinger Ti spring for a DHX 5.0 and your Ok?
    If their titanium springs have the same dimensions as their steel springs (and I don't know why they would't) it would be worth trying, especially if you can put the spring on your bike before buying and cycle the suspension a few times just to be sure.As I said, I tried their spring on both a DHX 5.0 and a 5th Element and it worked well for me, but I could be just lucky

    Marko

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.