Fox coil DHx2?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Fox coil DHx2?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Fox coil DHx2?

How good is this coil vs push 11 coil?
    Why don't the pro riders use the push 11?

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Picard View Post
    How good is this coil vs push 11 coil?
    Why don't the pro riders use the push 11?

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
    Second question is easiest to answer. Teams are sponsored by big companies so they ride what they are paid to ride.

1st question will be highly opinionated. Using a ccdb coil on one bike which is similar I have been very happy with it but not having ridden a 11.6 on same bike I couldnít say however they have two very different approaches to what they are achieving. One shock has a massive tuning range so you can achieve just about any ride characteristics you want for many given weight rider and bike leverages. The pros to this are you can achieve just about anything from it, cons to this is it takes a long time to dial in and also you can come up with some completely screwed up settings. So in other words you can have a really good shock in the hands of the wrong person and turn it into the worst riding shock in the world. The 11.6 route part of what your paying for is Push expertise so the shock has very limited range (more so than other conventional out of the box monotube shocks) so now you donít have to worry about having it setup poorly, Iím sure there are better and worse setups to its extreme ends of settings but not as bad as how far off something like an x2 could be set.

Also shocks like the x2 and ccdb are very linear so this doesnít work on bikes without progressive enough linkage. Again no first hand experience with an 11.6 but most monotube the damper will have some progression themselves although itís minor (depends on the reservoir volume). And finally there is some discussion on the feel of needle and poppet vs shim stack and hybrid designs of it look to be the future. The 11.6 already uses needle and poppet in the reservoir and shim stack on the main piston for its compression system and Fox new prototype looks to be using a shimstack and needle on main piston for rebound and a poppet for HSR tuning so that will be interesting when done.

For the avg person that doesnít fluctuate weight, terrain or want drastically varying tunes (although the 11.6 does have 2 compression tunes with the flip of a switch) the 11.6 would probably be the better route.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    They are fantastic for someone who doesn't know up from down when it comes to tuning a shock. Yes it's still very good (I've had one) but it's also the price of 3x CC DB IL Coils here in Aus which you can get to probably 90% as good with enough time and patience.

EXT Storia on the other hand..... smokes em all

It's getting hard to find a bad shock these days, find one that fits your budget and riding preferences and spend some time dialling it in with a notepad and pen.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by brash View Post
    They are fantastic for someone who doesn't know up from down when it comes to tuning a shock. Yes it's still very good (I've had one) but it's also the price of 3x CC DB IL Coils here in Aus which you can get to probably 90% as good with enough time and patience.

EXT Storia on the other hand..... smokes em all

It's getting hard to find a bad shock these days, find one that fits your budget and riding preferences and spend some time dialling it in with a notepad and pen.
    Want to explain what youíre talking about? Your comment about not knowing how to tune a shock fits with the 11.6 category since they don't have to know how to tune a shock (thatís taken care of for them) but not true for the x2.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Ummm explain what? Didnít mention the x2 in my post at all......