fox 40 troubleshooting!!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009

fox 40 troubleshooting!!

Hi everyone, I have a fox 40 and just performed a routine oil change. Upon reassembling eveything, I've come across a problem. The bolt sits below the left stantion (when sitting on the bike) is not tightening. It's as though the part that the bolt attaches to is spinning inside the stantion, and therefore screwing in the bolt doesn't have any effect.

Any thoughts on what the problem is? should I try to fix this myself, or just send it into fox? I don't have money to throw away, that's a consideration, too.

Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    bump...anyone?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Am I really the first one that's encountered this problem? any techs from fox lurking around here?

mtbr member
    Having the spring side shaft spin is fairly common from my experience (none with Fox though). You dont need to over tighten it, as long as its snug you are fine.

PMK
    mtbr member
    With the spring installed, tie the front end compressed and then tighten to spec.

PK

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Thanks for the responses!

The fork was making a knocking noise, as though something were slipping inside, (with the bolt not properly tightened, so I knew something wasn't right, and I haven't ridden it like this),

However, I didn't try compressing the fork while trying to tighten the bolt. Does it need to be fully compressed, or will someone with their weight resting on the bars be enough? I'll try it and report back. Thanks!

PMK
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dlevy05 View Post
    Thanks for the responses!

The fork was making a knocking noise, as though something were slipping inside, (with the bolt not properly tightened, so I knew something wasn't right, and I haven't ridden it like this),

However, I didn't try compressing the fork while trying to tighten the bolt. Does it need to be fully compressed, or will someone with their weight resting on the bars be enough? I'll try it and report back. Thanks!
    You could try someone sitting on it...On some of the motocross suspension this is a way to loosen or tighten the basevalves.

Compress it about 1/2 way.

As for the knocking, how old is the fork? Our 40 Kashima started knocking with very low hours on it. It seems these forks are critical of the fluid that lubes the lower legs. I believe Fox upped the amount of fluid to 50cc(?) for both legs from 20cc(?).

Also, the spring could be clicking during compression. Neither problem is severe, just relube the lowers at published intervals or better yet about 25% sooner.

PK

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I had the same problem with a Fox 32 on the spring side(left)

Use a flat-head screwdriver and wedge the footnut down, if the forks are right side up, and then tighten the foot-nut.

This will put a lot of friction between the nut and the threads.

Don't overtighten, just snug should do it.