Fox 40 - 08 - Spring minus one?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Fox 40 - 08 - Spring minus one?

Hi,

I weight 165 lbs (add maybe 5-10 lbs with all my gear and armor so 170 - 175). I have been running my 40 with the med ti spring, I have been advised by my LBS that a lot of people including them and a couple other guys into DH have been running with springs one below their recommended weight and then utilizing their Hi and Low speed compression settings *more to manage bottoming out and to manage the fork characteristics. I switched to the purple steel (120-150) this weekend at Northstar and man I bottomed out a lot of drops on sticks and stones and boondocks, had a lot of fork dive and my jumping timing was off at times on livewire, when jumping at times my front end didn't lift like normal and my rear ended up higher and I had a few sketchy nose landings (yeah yikes), where I had basically none the weekend before

I added about 4 - 5 clicks of high and low speed compression and it *helped but overall the fork didn't feel as linear as my old blue ti with the hi and low speed knobs all the way off.

My question is - is this just an urban legend about riding the 40 with recommended spring minus one? should I continue to work with the hi and low settings or just go back to the blue ti and turned off hi and low...
    Last edited by jrInMarin; 06-22-2009 at 09:16 PM.

mtbr member
    I've never heard that before. I met one guy who was about your weight who ran one step higher springs because he preferred riding a stiff fork, but that's about it.

Fox engineers generally know what they're doing. I'd switch back to the proper spring for your weight, especially considering how much you're bottoming out.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    yeah I think I just needed to hear what you are saying from you and others on the forum, it sort of reaffirms the obvious, there are ranges there for a reason, and they have to pretty much know what works for most people, given that I want something that performs well in most situations then I should stick with their recommendations, yeah the super soft spring may be great for pure stick to the ground racing, it is not ideal for jumping or big drops, and a much stiffer spring might be good for big drops and jumping but would not maintain great traction when going through the choppy stuff at speed.

do others on the forum agree? How are others running/tunning their 40s? The reason I went with the soft spring was because I still felt a ***little bit of deflection and loss of traction on the front end, it was WAY worse when the spring over my weight was in there - the LBS that installed the fork intially didn;t know the 08 shiped with the green ti spring that year - 180 - 210 - and for 9 months I was wondering why my 40 was a nightmare, I dropped to blue ti and things were 80% better - just looking to squeeze out that perfect tune.

Members who have read this thread: 0