Fox 36 Talas travel loss, revisited- Mtbr.com
    Brass Nipples!

Fox 36 Talas travel loss, revisited

Have any 36 Talas owners found a lasting fix to the travel loss issue? I've had my 36 RC2 back to Fox once and the amount of exposed stanchion went from 145 mm before service to 155 mm after. After being returned, the fork looked like I remembered when it was new (although I never measured it initially, it visibly shortened before I sent it in). I'm back to 145 mm again. My Talas adjustment has also gone south. I only get 10 mm of adjustment (135 mm of stanchion when dialed all the way down).

Unlike some others, I'm actually satisfied in the quality of the damping, but I'm not getting anywhere near 150 mm of travel, more like 138 mm right now.

I measured a new 36 VAN fork and it has 167 mm of exposed stanchion from the top of the wiper seal to the edge of the crown, so 155 mm for the Talas sounds about right.

I'm obviously going to have to send my fork back for service, but have any owners experienced long lasting improvement after having service for travel loss? From what I've seen, most who have posted have had their forks serviced, then sold them. I'm wondering if the new 3 step 160 mm total travel Talas system will be available as a fix/upgrade for the original 36 Talas forks. I'd definitely be interested in that as I don't usually adjust the travel in fine increments anyway.
    Last edited by Bob the Wheelbuilder; 11-28-2005 at 08:03 AM.
    {Principal Skinner} Hmm. Whoever did this is in very deep trouble.
    {Martin} And a sloppy speller too. The preferred spelling of 'wiener' is w - i - e - n - e - r, although 'e - i' is an acceptable ethnic variant.

No, that's not phonetic
    On a side note, I was really enjoying the Bob-big-brain avatar. Bring it back. And the CD is in the mail. Look for it this week.

C-ya.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

Amphibious Technologies
    The 36 gets 145 +/- 5mm travel; more like 140 to 145mm really. I have one of the PUSH'd 36s and it only has 145mm of stanchion showing even with the TALAS PUSH mods. I've had no problems with the TALAS though.
    Last edited by SCUBAPRO; 11-28-2005 at 03:45 PM.
    "The best you've ridden is the best you know" - Paul Thede, Race Tech

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob the Wheelbuilder
    Have any 36 Talas owners found a lasting fix to the travel loss issue? I've had my 36 RC2 back to Fox once and the amount of exposed stanchion went from 145 mm before service to 155 mm after. After being returned, the fork looked like I remembered when it was new (although I never measured it initially, it visibly shortened before I sent it in). I'm back to 145 mm again. My Talas adjustment has also gone south. I only get 10 mm of adjustment (135 mm of stanchion when dialed all the way down).

Unlike some others, I'm actually satisfied in the quality of the damping, but I'm not getting anywhere near 150 mm of travel, more like 138 mm right now.

I measured a new 36 VAN fork and it has 167 mm of exposed stanchion from the top of the wiper seal to the edge of the crown, so 155 mm for the Talas sounds about right.

I'm obviously going to have to send my fork back for service, but have any owners experienced long lasting improvement after having service for travel loss? From what I've seen, most who have posted have had their forks serviced, then sold them. I'm wondering if the new 3 step 160 mm total travel Talas system will be available as a fix/upgrade for the original 36 Talas forks. I'd definitely be interested in that as I don't usually adjust the travel in fine increments anyway.
    My Fox 36 is only 1 month old ,no problems so far,great ride stiff, light etc
    Only 145 mm of stantion visible I checked several others, same thing.
    I have had good luck with 125mm rlc so I thought I would try the 36 on my Rfx.
    Just curious, what Psi do you run?
    I'll post any problems in the future...............................kelly

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Well Bob, i sent mine back for the same reason but with an additional complaint. When i lofted the front wheel i got a top-out thump which was really annoying, and which could only be cured by running a lot of rebound damping- more than i wanted to run.

When my forks came back i was told that the talas chamber had been overfilled from the factory and they had corrected it. The travel crept back down to just under 145mm over a short period of time and the top-out thump was still evident although not quite as bad, but nevertheless i couldn't live with it and decided that they had to go.

I replaced them with the 36 van and couldn't be happier- more travel than advertised, no top-out, no messing around with psi trying to find the best setting, but best of all an absolute buttery fork that way outperforms the talas. If you can live without the adjustable travel then it worth considering the switch imo.
    You can't make a racehorse out of a donkey, but you can make a fast donkey.

Brass Nipples!
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    On a side note, I was really enjoying the Bob-big-brain avatar. Bring it back.
    Your wish is my command. For a limited time only.
    {Martin} And a sloppy speller too. The preferred spelling of 'wiener' is w - i - e - n - e - r, although 'e - i' is an acceptable ethnic variant.

Brass Nipples!
    Thanks everyone for your replies. I just tried the Talas adjuster again and was able to get 27 mm of total adjustment out of it today. I guess it's taking some time to equilibrate, when I first tried it I did compress the fork a dozen or so times afterward and only got a 10 mm decrease.

I measured the AC of the fork and I got 525 mm (exactly 10 less than spec). The first time I wrote Fox they said the specs were +/- 5 mm, so I'm still off of their tolerences by at least 5 mm.

I'm running 65 psi for a riding weight of about 205#.

mtbr member
    My 36RC2 also has only 144mm stanchion exposed, so 140mm travel max. It has been that way since after 2 weeks of use. I was wondering if you could convert the 36RC2 to 36van by replacing everything in the left leg with the stuff from the 36van. I asked the European Fox dealer, but he didn't know for sure and is too busy to check, but promised to do that when he finds some time. He also converted an old Fox Float RLC to 125mm travel for me

Amphibious Technologies
    Quote Originally Posted by zonoskar
    My 36RC2 also has only 144mm stanchion exposed, so 140mm travel max. It has been that way since after 2 weeks of use. I was wondering if you could convert the 36RC2 to 36van by replacing everything in the left leg with the stuff from the 36van. I asked the European Fox dealer, but he didn't know for sure and is too busy to check, but promised to do that when he finds some time. He also converted an old Fox Float RLC to 125mm travel for me
    That's normal for a 36 TALAS.

I talked to Fox's tech support about that when the Van came out and they said: No, you cannot convert it to a 36 Van because it has 10mm more travel and are not compatible.
    "The best you've ridden is the best you know" - Paul Thede, Race Tech

mtbr member
    Here's another one...

My friend's 36RC2 won't travel adjust at all because the knob won't turn. He can get maybe one click and then it's solid. Any suggestions?

Brass Nipples!
    Quote Originally Posted by Orangerider
    Here's another one...

My friend's 36RC2 won't travel adjust at all because the knob won't turn. He can get maybe one click and then it's solid. Any suggestions?
    I've found that compressing the fork a little allows the knob to turn. Give that a try.

My Talas adjuster was gritty before I sent it back to Fox the first time, but it's turned smoothly since. I'd write or call Fox about the nonturning knob if loading the fork doesn't fix it. I bet they'll have your friend send it in for service. I've had good luck with their service department.

mtbr member

yup

I've found that compressing the fork a little allows the knob to turn. Give that a try.

My Talas adjuster was gritty before I sent it back to Fox the first time, but it's turned smoothly since. I'd write or call Fox about the nonturning knob if loading the fork doesn't fix it. I bet they'll have your friend send it in for service. I've had good luck with their service department.
    I spoke with them yesterday, and they recommended sending it in.
    thanks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Gritty talas adjuster

My TALAS knob wouldn't turn easily and felt gritty so I took it off to investigate. (Remove the centre of the knob and put a socket over the schraeder valve and remove the nut; then the knob lifts off)

Anyway, there is a tiny ball bearing that sits in the top of the fork leg. There are also four recesses in the bottom of the top cap. As the top cap rotates, a recess comes around and the ball bearing settles in it making the click or detent feeling. I discovered that the ball bearing had come out of the top of the fork and was jamming as the talas knob rotated. Not only that but it wasn't round anymore. I took it out, replaced the top cap and now have buttery talas rotation but without the 3 mm increment clicks.

Team Sanchez
    Bob,

Quit wasting your time and money on that POS, and just get one of the new Z-1's already. Ron is running one on his pack, and absolutely loves it. He says it blows doors on his pushed 36 RC2, which he traded for the Z-1.

Brass Nipples!

Update

I've sent emails to 2 different addresses ([email protected] and [email protected]), but no response as of yet. I'm going to call Fox tomorrow and see what they say.

Elitest thrill junkie
    I've sent emails to 2 different addresses ([email protected] and [email protected]), but no response as of yet. I'm going to call Fox tomorrow and see what they say.
    I would never expect most bike companies to return emails. You just have to call them.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Brass Nipples!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    I would never expect most bike companies to return emails. You just have to call them.
    They did answer the first time I had trouble, but I expect phoning will work better.

Members who have read this thread: 0